Mbps speeds are way lower than HughesNew advertises

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcguirefolks
New Poster

Mbps speeds are way lower than HughesNew advertises

We just signed up for Gen5 that boast "HughesNet Gen5 is faster than ever  – 25 Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload – and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast."

But it's not happening.  This is what I got this morning:

From  http://beta.speedtest.net/

8/4/17   4:37 am                             

PING  706 ms

DOWNLOAD  18.79 Mbps 

UPLOAD  1.18 Mbps

8/4/17   5:26 am

PING  672 ms

DOWNLOAD  18.79 Mbps

UPLOAD  2.75 Mbps

8/4/17   10:00 am

PING 631 ms

DOWNLOAD  17.60 Mbps

UPLOAD  1.03 Mbps

8/4/17  10:40 am

PING  664 ms

DOWNLOAD  9.65 Mbps

UPLOAD  1.13 Mbps

I bought a new laptop which isn't here yet, so will that help?  Also is it possible for HughesNet to bump up the mbps?  I need the promised mbps for online tutoring.  Does anyone have advice or help for me?

On HughesNet Speed Check:

Server Selected: Oregon

DOWNLOAD SPEED: 19.97 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED: 1.55 Mbps

12 REPLIES 12
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

There is no gauarantee that you will see 25Mbps, it is advertised and sold as "UPTO 25Mbps"...

However, if you wish to perform some basic troubleshooting, please follow the guide below, and read the linked article at the bottom of this post on how to perform a test that can be used for troubleshooting.

Please keep in mind that Hughesnet will only accept testmy.net and the official Hughesnet speed test results. Tests from other sites like speedtest.net are not accepted due to the compression technologies that satellite deploys.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-use the 25MB size download test file ONLY

-If testing upload instead of download, you must use a 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/C0RR0SIVE

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

Wow you are very lucky to get what your getting. We live just above Eureka ca. in Trinidad ca. on the west coast of california. We have had Hughesnet for about 10 months and we have never seen anything from the speed test go above 7 or 8 mbps and thats on a good day.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

@terrykiyasu wrote:

Wow you are very lucky to get what your getting. We live just above Eureka ca. in Trinidad ca. on the west coast of california. We have had Hughesnet for about 10 months and we have never seen anything from the speed test go above 7 or 8 mbps and thats on a good day.

I have only had the service for 2 months and to say that I am VERY disappointed at this point is a HUGE understatement.  Regarding the advertised speeds, up to 25 Mbps implies near that number.  So far, during the evenings, I am lucky to get 1 Mbps.  I have gotten higher speeds during the day, but we don't watch Netflix during the day!!!  I had DSL with a landline and got that, which is the sole reason I changed.  Further, I cannot even stream a Netflix movie/show or YouTube video without it stopping multiple times to buffer!!!  With my old DSL and the exact same equipment and LESS THAN 1 Mbps download speed, it RARELY stopped to buffer when watching Netflix.  And by rarely, I mean once every two months or so and that was unusual.  I am awaiting a call from tech support to see what they say, but if this continues, I will be canceling the contract and NO, I will NOT pay cancellation charges.  I bought and paid for the modem up front already so that looks to be $300 shot down the drain!!!  

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

@jcuwood wrote:

...but we don't watch Netflix during the day!!!  

That's half the problem...  It's a vicious cycle that wont end.
"NOT ENOUGH DATA, GIVE US MORE"
-Hughes Increases Data Caps"
"OMG, SPEEDS ARE SO SLOW!!!"
-Hughes keeps the same data caps on new capacity expansions, but increases speeds-
"NOT ENOUGH DATA, GIVE US MORE"

Get the idea?  Add on that everyone and their mother wants to watch Netflix at the same time of the day, it creates a massive bottleneck that can't really be stopped/resolved.

@jcuwood wrote:

I am awaiting a call from tech support to see what they say, but if this continues, I will be canceling the contract and NO, I will NOT pay cancellation charges.  

Enjoy collections and the credit rating hit then I suppose?  You entered into a contract that specifically states that speeds are upto, and that during peak hours (netflix time for everyone ring a bell?) speeds may be considerably slower.  The contract has a cancelation fee.

maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

I get the same download speeds as you do.  Works just fine for streaming, downloading, and regular surfing. 

From the Hughesnet website:

**The HughesNet Gen5 service plans are designed to deliver download speeds of 25 Mbps and upload speeds of 3 Mbps, but individual customers may experience different speeds at different times of the day. Speeds and uninterrupted use are not guaranteed and may vary based on a variety of factors including: the configuration of your computer, the number of concurrent users, network or Internet congestion, the capabilities and content of the websites you are accessing, network management practices as deemed necessary, and other factors. When you connect to the HughesNet service using Wi-Fi, your experience will vary based on your proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal.

Maximus
Freshman

Same here in rural NY... more than a month into the service and have never come close to seeing 25/3 Mbps... Average speed test shows 10-15 Down and 1-1.3 Mbps on the up... called and got no where... Took the 10G plan since the house is generally empty and found that in 15 minutes watching a low def Netflicks show it ate over 1 GB of data. Watching that same show for the full hour ate more than 3 GB.. again low def settings... something is not right... when I called I was on the perpetual hold transfer train... very frustrating...

Maximus
Freshman

@mcguirefolks wrote:

We just signed up for Gen5 that boast "HughesNet Gen5 is faster than ever  – 25 Mbps download and 3Mbps Upload – and is available to anyone, anywhere, coast-to-coast."

But it's not happening.  This is what I got this morning:

From  http://beta.speedtest.net/

8/4/17   4:37 am                             

PING  706 ms

DOWNLOAD  18.79 Mbps 

UPLOAD  1.18 Mbps

8/4/17   5:26 am

PING  672 ms

DOWNLOAD  18.79 Mbps

UPLOAD  2.75 Mbps

8/4/17   10:00 am

PING 631 ms

DOWNLOAD  17.60 Mbps

UPLOAD  1.03 Mbps

8/4/17  10:40 am

PING  664 ms

DOWNLOAD  9.65 Mbps

UPLOAD  1.13 Mbps

I bought a new laptop which isn't here yet, so will that help?  Also is it possible for HughesNet to bump up the mbps?  I need the promised mbps for online tutoring.  Does anyone have advice or help for me?

On HughesNet Speed Check:

Server Selected: Oregon

DOWNLOAD SPEED: 19.97 Mbps

UPLOAD SPEED: 1.55 Mbps

Same here in rural NY... more than a month into the service and have never come close to seeing 25/3 Mbps... Average speed test shows 10-15 Down and 1-1.3 Mbps on the up... called and got no where... Took the 10G plan since the house is generally empty and found that in 15 minutes watching a low def Netflicks show it ate over 1 GB of data. Watching that same show for the full hour ate more than 3 GB.. again low def settings... something is not right... when I called I was on the perpetual hold transfer train... very frustrating...

If you are using wifi, your overall rate can be significantly reduced by several things:
1. Not using 802.11n or 802.11ac protocols that will dynamically expand the wifi channel bandwidth from 20 up to 40 or 80MHz.

2. Not being close enough to the wifi router and having a sufficient signal, which can result in multiple resends.

You can generally check the throughput of your connection by going to http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/lan_speed in your browser. If the LAN speed measures much lower than 150Mbps it is most likely not optimized for the highest speed possible and is therefore restricting your bandwidth.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
animalfreak9803
Freshman

you have been misled......and your tutoring site will probably use way too much data......check the better business bureau site for all the reviews

berider50
New Poster

I wonder what speed the hughesnet ceo gets...

I'd be shocked if he uses his own system for internet.