Hughesnet Community

Member since 2012 - had enough - finally done and very happy done with Hughes -what a rip off

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwarren

Member since 2012 - had enough - finally done and very happy done with Hughes -what a rip off

I have been a member since 2012 and I have NEVER had a good experience with Hughes in any way - their customer service reps are rude, do not speak English well, can no offer solutions without passing and holding.  I have spent at least 3 hours EVERY month since I have been a member with issues ranging from data loss (I live in the middle of absolutely no where in a canyon without any neighbors for 1/2 mile and NO one can steal my data).  I have purchased tokens, been charged for them and they have NOT appeared in my token bank  - I called and they argued with me saying they were added - and I checked before and after purchase - they were not added.  I have had crazy data loss - I have NOTHING connected to my wireless network except for my computer which is turned off at night and I wake up in the am and there will be gigs missing.  I have called and they can't explain it - they say === yes, there is no way that much data can even be used that quickly - then NOTHING - no help - zero.  I decided to do a trial with a Verizon hot spot with my phone considering to drop Hughes net.  I set it up so everything I did on Hughes net was also done on Verizon at the same time - I went through 16 - yes SIXTEEN gigs of data while the same period of time I lost 2 - TWO gigs of data no Verizon.  I thought I was hostage by Hughes Net because I am in the country and my internet options are almost non-existent until someone told me to try a hot spot.  I have used 3 gigabytes of data 12 days into my hot spot without Hughes - I would have already gone through at least 20 gigs of data during this time on HN.  Also my free data on Verizon is much faster than the pay for data on Hughes net - before I dropped HN I ran out of data on Verizon just to see what I would get  if I went over and I was shocked to compare speeds side by side and overage free Verizon was much faster.  - I also did not want to give HN anything when I left, so I ran all of my token data out and went into HN safety browsing - and it was NO slower than my normal browsing.  If you are considering signing on -think twice 0 try ANYTHING else.  If you are on - try a hot spot - it will be cheaper.  I threw tons of money away to the thief called Hughes net. 
2 REPLIES 2
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

I also did not want to give HN anything when I left, so I ran all of my token data out and went into HN safety browsing - and it was NO slower than my normal browsing. 

That's the way SmartBrowsing is supposed to work.  No difference in non data intensive usage. 

Sorry to hear you've had problems.    Hughesnet is enough for some, but not for others.  It's like anything one contracts for.   I've had no major problems, myself.   

Amanda

Hello jwarren,

We're very disappointed to hear that our service was anything but excellent for you. We really wish you could have found help through our community before cancelling our service. Nonetheless we wish you the best of luck with the new ISP and hope you have a cheerful holidays. 

Thank you,
Amanda