cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message texting

Jimjumper
Sophomore

Message texting

I am  trying to use WiFi for text messages. Messenger works great but with Messages I am receiving texts without problems but cant get replies to go thru. WiFi calling (iPhone 6) is turned on, both on the phone and the carrier (ATT). Any ideas?

15 REPLIES 15
maratsade
Distinguished Professor III

Re: Message texting

Wifi calling doesn't work well with HughesNet and is not supported by them. 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jimjumper 

Unfortunately, WiFi calling, and the things that use it, aren't supported by HughesNet.  That doesn't mean that it won't necessarily work, but only that they don't support it.  

With this said, I don't have an iPhone, so I can't give any suggestions.  Hopefully there are others who can.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Jimjumper
Sophomore

I know WiFi calling isnt supported but from what I've been reading latency is the problem with voice calls. Texts shouldnt suffer from that problem and since I am already receiving texts from people using Messages I would assume there is a way to respond using the same system. I have no cell service where I live, so in theory, Messages should auto switch to WiFi. 

maratsade

"Messages should auto switch to WiFi."

And this wifi is your internet, right? If so,  it will be subject to latency issues.

Jimjumper
Sophomore

Which shouldnt be a problem with WiFi texting. The latency would be about 3-4 keystrokes the way I type.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Jimjumper wrote:

Which shouldnt be a problem with WiFi texting. The latency would be about 3-4 keystrokes the way I type.

It's the way the network reacts to the higher latency that's the problem.  With some activities and/or networks it's fine, causing nothing more than the slight delay of the latency itself, but with others it can cause various issues.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
maratsade

Especially with Apple products. 

@GabeU wrote:

It's the way the network reacts to the higher latency that's the problem.  

Jimjumper
Sophomore

Then how do people text using there home computer or a tablet? i also just tried with both of those and Im not able to send texts with them either. Is email the only communication Hughes supports?

maratsade

The congestion and latency issues affect different subscribers differently due to many different variables. Some have no issues, some have some issues, some have many issues.