cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

New Poster

Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

I installed GlassWire on hubby's desktop computer.  He has been having issues with data drain too.  Well immediately notice Microsoft© Register Server was active and downloading.  So far 40 MB so I disconnected from Internet until free period.  What in the world is this?  Computer is running Windows 7 with updates turn off.  Also have an app installed to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing. 
How can I stop the Register Server from downloading OR can anyone tell me how large this download is.
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

Re: Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

You may wish to read through these google search results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=microsoft+register+server+windows+7

New Poster

thanks.  off to do some more reading.  Hope I find the answer.

Hi, I worked as a project leader for the last 20 years of my career as a consultant. When I retired the PC's went into the trash. You can purchase a Mac for $100 on ebay, and never look back. Keep the PC, but we never allowed a PC to connect to the net at Lockheed. They are impossible to secure. You can run Windoz on a Mac, no problem.

Nice Yorkie! My "Benji" is a Yorkie also.
New Poster

Bill,  No thanks.  I'm sticking with my PC.  However I might trash Microsoft and move to Linux system.  I'm studying the prospect of moving over.  Maybe running a duel operating system for those times I just must have MS.  I've checked most of my software will run just fine with Linux.
New Poster

Thanks.  That is Dixon.  My pride and joy.  He is never far away from me.  Day or night he is my buddy.
Honorary Alumnus

Yorkytime,
I never was a big fan of "boot loaders".
My desktop main computer has 10 internal hard drives. Five of them have various operating systems loaded on them with the remaining 5 being "data drives" slaved to each OS.

They connect through an electronic selector switch. I hit the computers power button and the hit the selectors switches button to increment to the desired operating system drive.
The selected drive is then powered up and loaded. The remaining drives have both power and data disconnected and are totally "dormant".

Most desktops have room for mounting multiple hard drive and the selector switch can take up an unused 3 1/2" "floppy drive" spot or a empty 5 1/4" drive bay.

If you are interested I'll post a link and pictures.
New Poster

well yorkytime it might not be that your data allowance is draining from some unknown windows download. I have been having an issue with my data being used when there is no computer on and not even connected to the internet. hughesnet was supposed to find a reason for this and call me back within 24-48 hours. That was almost a week ago and I am till waiting for that call. So far not being on the computer purposefully for 2 days now just to see if the drain on the data is still going on and after looking at the usage it is and instead of getting less data stolen it is stealing more. At one point with no one even up at the time it said somehow I used 244mb on a computer that has no power. 

It is a wonder that they are coming out with a new Gen 5 in either september or october and just like the last time when they came out with gen 4 my data was going going gone and that stopped with the upgrade to gen 4. I think maybe the FCC should investigate hughesnet and I also bet if they say they will call them in 24-48 hours they would get a call.

Good luck with your problem of missing data, keep an eye on the times and you will see they are taking small amounts throughout the day hoping no one will notice.

BTW I too have a yorky :-) his name is Buster
Assistant Professor

As you probably already know. Macs are a distribution of Linux with their own frontend (Cocoa), but there are add-ons to allow you to run xwin-based apps. You can even run a thing called "homebrew" which adds even more Linux functionality under the hood. That said, I also run parallels to run older xp and Fedora VMs.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.