Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yorkytime1
New Poster

Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

I installed GlassWire on hubby's desktop computer.  He has been having issues with data drain too.  Well immediately notice Microsoft© Register Server was active and downloading.  So far 40 MB so I disconnected from Internet until free period.  What in the world is this?  Computer is running Windows 7 with updates turn off.  Also have an app installed to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing. 
How can I stop the Register Server from downloading OR can anyone tell me how large this download is.
26 REPLIES 26
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

You may wish to read through these google search results:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=microsoft+register+server+windows+7

yorkytime1
New Poster

thanks.  off to do some more reading.  Hope I find the answer.
billmiller43

Hi, I worked as a project leader for the last 20 years of my career as a consultant. When I retired the PC's went into the trash. You can purchase a Mac for $100 on ebay, and never look back. Keep the PC, but we never allowed a PC to connect to the net at Lockheed. They are impossible to secure. You can run Windoz on a Mac, no problem.
billmiller43

Nice Yorkie! My "Benji" is a Yorkie also.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Bill,  No thanks.  I'm sticking with my PC.  However I might trash Microsoft and move to Linux system.  I'm studying the prospect of moving over.  Maybe running a duel operating system for those times I just must have MS.  I've checked most of my software will run just fine with Linux.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Thanks.  That is Dixon.  My pride and joy.  He is never far away from me.  Day or night he is my buddy.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Yorkytime,
I never was a big fan of "boot loaders".
My desktop main computer has 10 internal hard drives. Five of them have various operating systems loaded on them with the remaining 5 being "data drives" slaved to each OS.

They connect through an electronic selector switch. I hit the computers power button and the hit the selectors switches button to increment to the desired operating system drive.
The selected drive is then powered up and loaded. The remaining drives have both power and data disconnected and are totally "dormant".

Most desktops have room for mounting multiple hard drive and the selector switch can take up an unused 3 1/2" "floppy drive" spot or a empty 5 1/4" drive bay.

If you are interested I'll post a link and pictures.
lbrown2
New Poster

well yorkytime it might not be that your data allowance is draining from some unknown windows download. I have been having an issue with my data being used when there is no computer on and not even connected to the internet. hughesnet was supposed to find a reason for this and call me back within 24-48 hours. That was almost a week ago and I am till waiting for that call. So far not being on the computer purposefully for 2 days now just to see if the drain on the data is still going on and after looking at the usage it is and instead of getting less data stolen it is stealing more. At one point with no one even up at the time it said somehow I used 244mb on a computer that has no power. 

It is a wonder that they are coming out with a new Gen 5 in either september or october and just like the last time when they came out with gen 4 my data was going going gone and that stopped with the upgrade to gen 4. I think maybe the FCC should investigate hughesnet and I also bet if they say they will call them in 24-48 hours they would get a call.

Good luck with your problem of missing data, keep an eye on the times and you will see they are taking small amounts throughout the day hoping no one will notice.

BTW I too have a yorky 🙂 his name is Buster
MarkJFine
Professor

As you probably already know. Macs are a distribution of Linux with their own frontend (Cocoa), but there are add-ons to allow you to run xwin-based apps. You can even run a thing called "homebrew" which adds even more Linux functionality under the hood. That said, I also run parallels to run older xp and Fedora VMs.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
billmiller43

Hi, Is your Hughesnet modem powered down? My Airport Extreme router picks up neighbors system that is about 100 yards away. Any possibility of someone nearby accessing? So I power the whole system down by turning off my surge suppressor.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

ibrown2,

I suggest that you run a modem isolation a outlined here and then post your results in a new topic.

That will definitively prove/disprove if Hughes is the cause of your data loss:

yorkytime1
New Poster

Gwalk,  Yes I am absolutely interested in seeing pictures.  Oh this morning during the free period hubby booted his computer.  It downloaded 544 MB worth of unknown data.  Glasswire says Microsoft Register Server.  I have to assume he is infected with some type of malware.,...so now to find it.
yorkytime1
New Poster

Mark,  Sorry I do not want anything labeled Apple in this house.  I do not own an apple phone, ipad or anything Apple.  And I will not any time in the future.  I got fed up with Apple some years ago when I did purchase an Apple computer.  Threw the damn thing in the trash after a few months.  Now I just do not like the way apple does business so will not allow myself to give then one dime of my hard earned money.  Oh the other hand I am quickly getting fed up with Microsoft business practices also.
yorkytime1
New Poster

lbrown,  I KNOW the issue is with our computers.....and NOT Hughesnet.  I am searching down the offending software in my own computer.  I am not blaming Hughes for any problems with data drain.....except I would like to have a bit more daily data available to legacy customers.  Sure wish Hughes would feel sorry for us and up the data just a little bit. 

If you were to check your own computers closely I'm pretty sure you would find some issue within your own system.
MarkJFine
Professor

I can understand that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Microsoft Register Server shouldn't be downloading anything - at all.  It is a program that is used to register DLL files on a computer.  Sounds like you have a virus or malware infection...

Might wanna go ahead and run malwarebytes to see what you have, IF it will even pick it up...

About: https://www.mysonicwall.com/sonicalert/searchresults.aspx?ev=article&id=846

Removal: http://botcrawl.com/microsoftc-register-server-virus-removal/

Malware Bytes Download: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/
Liz

Good morning yorkytime,

Thank you for posting, I'm glad to see our community step up to offer some advice. I second C0RR0SIVE's advice to first run a malware scan on the computer to see if that yields something new since the last time you ran a scan.

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

yorkytime1
New Poster

Thanks Corrosive and Birddog.  I spent most of the day yesterday running the programs in those links you provided.  I "think" we have solved the problem with the register server.  It did not run this morning on hubby's computer.  And his data usage seems to be back to normal.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Hi yorkytime,

"Gwalk,  Yes I am absolutely interested in seeing pictures"

Got mine years ago from:

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/4posaiisw3ba.html

Never had any problems. Easy install into either a 3 1/2" floppy drive bay or 5 1/2 bay with the included face plate and mounting bracket.

Wiring is easy. It uses the data and power cables that feed your present hard drive as "inputs" and switches power and data connections to up to 4 hard drives with the supplied cables.

One of the switch positions can be designated as the default and there is a key lock to limit access to other or any drives.

As to hubby's computer I'll second the need to run virus and anti-malware scans.

All computers allow the one-time creation of a copy of the factory restore partition. Have you made one ?

In addition, Windows has a built in utility to make periodic system images in addition to making and saving incremental backups that can be used to easily restoring an infected or corrupted computer. Have you set up a back up plan for your computers ?