cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

Highlighted

Re: Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

Hi, Is your Hughesnet modem powered down? My Airport Extreme router picks up neighbors system that is about 100 yards away. Any possibility of someone nearby accessing? So I power the whole system down by turning off my surge suppressor.
Honorary Alumnus

ibrown2,

I suggest that you run a modem isolation a outlined here and then post your results in a new topic.

That will definitively prove/disprove if Hughes is the cause of your data loss:

New Poster

Gwalk,  Yes I am absolutely interested in seeing pictures.  Oh this morning during the free period hubby booted his computer.  It downloaded 544 MB worth of unknown data.  Glasswire says Microsoft Register Server.  I have to assume he is infected with some type of malware.,...so now to find it.
New Poster

Mark,  Sorry I do not want anything labeled Apple in this house.  I do not own an apple phone, ipad or anything Apple.  And I will not any time in the future.  I got fed up with Apple some years ago when I did purchase an Apple computer.  Threw the damn thing in the trash after a few months.  Now I just do not like the way apple does business so will not allow myself to give then one dime of my hard earned money.  Oh the other hand I am quickly getting fed up with Microsoft business practices also.
New Poster

lbrown,  I KNOW the issue is with our computers.....and NOT Hughesnet.  I am searching down the offending software in my own computer.  I am not blaming Hughes for any problems with data drain.....except I would like to have a bit more daily data available to legacy customers.  Sure wish Hughes would feel sorry for us and up the data just a little bit. 

If you were to check your own computers closely I'm pretty sure you would find some issue within your own system.
Assistant Professor

I can understand that.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Associate Professor

Microsoft Register Server shouldn't be downloading anything - at all.  It is a program that is used to register DLL files on a computer.  Sounds like you have a virus or malware infection...

Might wanna go ahead and run malwarebytes to see what you have, IF it will even pick it up...

About: https://www.mysonicwall.com/sonicalert/searchresults.aspx?ev=article&id=846

Removal: http://botcrawl.com/microsoftc-register-server-virus-removal/

Malware Bytes Download: https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

Good morning yorkytime,

Thank you for posting, I'm glad to see our community step up to offer some advice. I second C0RR0SIVE's advice to first run a malware scan on the computer to see if that yields something new since the last time you ran a scan.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Assistant Professor

New Poster

Thanks Corrosive and Birddog.  I spent most of the day yesterday running the programs in those links you provided.  I "think" we have solved the problem with the register server.  It did not run this morning on hubby's computer.  And his data usage seems to be back to normal.