Did you mean: 

Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

Honorary Alumnus

Re: Microsoft© Register Server ? Here we go again

Hi yorkytime,

"Gwalk,  Yes I am absolutely interested in seeing pictures"

Got mine years ago from:

http://www.cooldrives.com/index.php/4posaiisw3ba.html

Never had any problems. Easy install into either a 3 1/2" floppy drive bay or 5 1/2 bay with the included face plate and mounting bracket.

Wiring is easy. It uses the data and power cables that feed your present hard drive as "inputs" and switches power and data connections to up to 4 hard drives with the supplied cables.

One of the switch positions can be designated as the default and there is a key lock to limit access to other or any drives.

As to hubby's computer I'll second the need to run virus and anti-malware scans.

All computers allow the one-time creation of a copy of the factory restore partition. Have you made one ?

In addition, Windows has a built in utility to make periodic system images in addition to making and saving incremental backups that can be used to easily restoring an infected or corrupted computer. Have you set up a back up plan for your computers ?

New Poster

thanks Gwalk.  That is a really neat device.  Interesting.  As to hubby's computer.  Oh yes he has the creation disks copy for factory restore.  Problem is he did not want to download all those win 7 updates again.  So we worked to clean the computer.  I think we found the infected files and they are gone.  This morning and all morning the register service is NOT RUNNING.  So I assume we got rid of the problem.  I've cautioned him once again to be careful what programs he down loads and installs.  Honestly he is pretty computer stupid!  He flew helicopters for 45 years...and has masters degree in business....but with computers...well.  He can't even take verbal commands...I usually have to change things in his computer myself.  Then yell at him if he does it again.  LOL 
Honorary Alumnus

It may help if he was running on a limited account rather than running as Admin.

less "privileges" = less risk.

New Poster

Believe me!  I have already thought of that.  I'm afraid it would not go over too well.  He already thinks I'm a smart a$$.  ROFL  Limiting his computer privileges would not go over too well.  hahahahaha  Hey we are just two old retired people trying to get along the best we can.  Most days we are really good...bad days are if he screws up his computer.  LOL  When I think of problems other people have we do not even register on the scale.
Assistant Professor

jezra - Technically you are correct. Both are fairly functionally equivalent derivations of Unix. More people (tech and non-tech) know the term Linux than do Berkely Software Distribution or even FreeBSD, so it was merely a point of communication vice an admission of technical acumen. lol

Anyway, I gave up Windows boxes in 2004 out of a fit of frustration (then, as both a developer, software producer, and manager) and haven't looked back. Originally bought Parallels to be compatible with work, but even today only still have Winxp running on it (I know, I know). It's a relic because almost nothing is supported for Winxp anymore.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Associate Professor

Associate Professor

Forget XP, most software is abandoning Vista and Server 2008...  Was not a joyous moment when I found out a few packages I used on 2k8 stopped working because they consider it "outdated" -.-