Hughesnet Community

Microsoft at it again even worse

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pawnee County

Microsoft at it again even worse

Microsoft has turned “nasty” in its campaign to coerce hundreds of millions of customers to upgrade to its Windows 10 operating system, a program critics condemn as privacy-invading, data-swiping and “brimming with freemium services and ads.”

Microsoft has been trying to lure computer users into its new operating system for months, bombarding them with unending pop-up screens. But many users are comfortable with the systems they have, have no interest in learning new operations and have simply clicked the “X” to get rid of the unwanted solicitation.

You can’t do that anymore.

Microsoft changed the coding on the “X” so that clicking it now instructs MS to “upgrade” your computer to Windows 10. Yes, really.

In fact, the two options on the page, “OK” and “Upgrade Now,” do the same thing as the “X.”

To avoid the forced “upgrade,” a user has to go into the fine print.

Inside a logo box in the ad is a scheduled date for a mandatory upgrade. The user must look in the tiny type just below that line and find where it says “here” and click on that to avoid the upgrade.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/05/bill-gates-of-hell-windows-10-hijacks-computers/#b10qC5YSEU1bDGZR.99
28 REPLIES 28
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I just use this: http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

Haven't had to worry about that MS malware since. Good info though Gary, I'm sure many have already been duped, sadly.
Liz

Thanks for the heads up!

-Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

foxbrook
Sophomore

Certainly will be interesting to see if they stop hassling people at the end of July.
Pawnee County

Hassling is one thing absolute deception is another.  I just don't understand  what M$ is up to with this Windows 10 thing unless they are making tons of bucks in advertising.  I do think a blatant ruse like this should be illegal but it is M$ and they can get away with anything.  Maybe at some stage MAC and Linux use will grow even more and Microsoft will sink in their own muck.      
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

SaaS for OS's and data collection.

Soon, if not already, MS will have more data collected and available for "sharing" than Google.

I have spent thousands of $$$ in purchasing the full retail versions of Windows over the years.

They stopped making the product I needed with Win7

They have gutted the quality control to the point that a Win Update is as likely to cause issues than fix them.

The way they are jamming Win10 down our throats though is over the top.

I have tried Win10 on a test had drive and I don't like the lack of ability to schedule and select updates and just can not, will go along with them collecting and sharing data from what is supposed to be MY computer.

At the end of Win7,  Mint awaits.

Pawnee County

I still have a Windows 10 Partition that almost never gets used I don't know why I even keep it.  I did use it for videos because Mint didn't rum video very well with NVIDIA Graphics but after I upgraded the KERNEL it works fine.  Mint is easy to use runs smooth and you can update when you want to.  I did have Windows 7 for a while it was OK but I still think XP was the best version of Windows ever.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Seems there may be a "reversal":

BBC: dirty tricks from Microsoft
quote:Microsoft has faced criticism for changing the pop-up box encouraging Windows users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Clicking the cross in the top-right hand corner of the pop-up box now agrees to a scheduled upgrade rather than rejecting it.

This has caused confusion as clicking the cross typically closes a pop-up notification.

Full story.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

It's as if they don't care that they are going to tick a lot of people off by using this sneaky tactic.  It doesn't matter if it's free for another two months.  A lot of people simply DON'T WANT IT.  Sheesh.

What's really sad is the vast majority of Windows users out there will never hear/read about this, so they will just click on it like always.  A despicable business practice.  

I like Windows 10, but I can certainly understand why more and more people are starting to dislike Microsoft.  These guys are sneakier than the White House Plumbers.    

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They don't care, after all they are the mighty Microsoft. If they really cared they would give customers back total control over their updates in 10.
Pawnee County

That is why I use Linux.
GabeU

You got that right.  The lack of update control in W10 is the main sticking point for a lot of people not wanting to upgrade.  I've read their "reasons" for it, but it's a joke.  And, of course, it turns us all into guinea pigs.  What's going to happen when, as has happened in the past, they release an update that screws a bunch of systems up to the point that they won't start?  Instead of being thousands, it could be millions, or tens of millions, or even more.  It's REALLY stupid.  I feel bad for anyone with W10 that doesn't have a system image backup. 

Pawnee County

A system image only saves the BS so when you restore it reappears.  System image isn't worth a darn if you do not update it, and if you do you pass the BS onto the image.  I'll stick with Linux Mint it works and I am in control. 
GabeU

The system image will save you if you happen to get one of those bad updates that screw your system up.  When it's happened in the past, it happened to a small number of people before it was caught and rectified my Microsoft.  With this instant update nonsense with W10, it will affect a LOT more people, all at once.  A system image could save you from this. 

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A system image is what your system is at the instant the image is made.

I wii have as a rule, three generatiobs of images, per hard drive, per OS so as to not overwrite a good image with a possable infected/corrupted image.
That approach can be automated.
GabeU

I keep two, but it's a great thing to have.  Can save you from hours of headaches, and with these release on the fly updates, I can see it happening. 
billmiller43

Again I say, buy a used Mac with OS X, can be done for under $200. And you won't have to put up with "Windoz". My Airport Extreme router set itself up in a minute, and has run trouble free for years. Besides, no "A/V" required. Tap the space bar to "Wake it up", and in seconds be reading your emails. My PC's went in the trash years ago, "Good Riddance"!
 My 5/50gb plan has always been enough. When we used F/B we always ran out and had to buy tokens with the largest plan.
Pawnee County

Or keep your PC and download a Free Linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu been using Mint for close to three years no problems that couldn't be solved with a little research.  Like you said no A/V needed and with WINE a bunch of Windows programs will run.  However all the software you may need is most likely in the Software Manager for free.

I do stay far away from Fakebook myself also.  I had the 5/50 but now have 10/50 the Granddaughter is staying with us now so I needed more.  Even if you go over everything works fairly well except Video.
GabeU

When we used F/B we always ran out and had to buy tokens with the largest plan.
Did you not know about how to turn off auto video play? 
GabeU

Gwalk,

Your post got me thinking, and I now have space for three generations of images for each of my three computers.  It took a bit of calculation, as my external HDD has a capacity of only 750Gb, but with the partitions ranging from 60GB to 80GB, I was able to fit them all, with a little room left over.  It seemed a better idea to have three instead of two for each system, as I can be safer by always having one that is two to three months old, rather than one to two months old (I image once a month on average).  I also have an extra internal HDD in my desktop where I keep images, as well.   

Thanks for the inadvertent advice.  LOL.   

billmiller43

So glad I run a Mac with OS X. Time Machine automatically does daily backups, I can restore to whatever date I want.  Now I spend a fraction of the time I used to spend with Windoz, AV updates before any use each day. And all the utilities, defrag, shut down and restart. Updates up the kazoo. NUTS! I wouldn't go back to Windoz if they paid me!