cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Misaligned dish

Freshman

Misaligned dish

Got the internet installed in January 2020 and I was so excited as I live in a very rural area. needless to say I was very disillusioned when it didn't work the way I thought it would and half the time it didn't work at all. I called many many many times and no resolution was ever made until last month when it stopped working completely. It took three weeks to get a tech out here and he aligned the dish properly which was never done in the first place and now it works wonderful!! I don't understand why they would charge me the $125 to get a tech out here when it was installed incorrectly in the first place. I'm pretty sure it's a scam to make an extra buck
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Misaligned dish

@tor2ga 

1.  The signal must be adequate for the tech to be able to activate the installation.  If your signal strength was that low at the beginning the tech would not have been able to complete your installation and you would not have had any service at all.  

2.  If this were a "scam to make a few extra bucks" you'd see other instances of it on this support community.

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Distinguished Professor III

2.  If this were a "scam to make a few extra bucks" you'd see other instances of it on this support community.

Not to mention in the newspapers.  

You should read the subscriber agreement, particularly Section 12: "– If service to the Outdoor Unit (satellite antenna and transmitter) is required, Hughes will, at its expense, repair or replace it pursuant to the limited warranty for the first six months after installation. From six months to the end of your limited warranty period, Hughes will cover the cost of the replacement equipment, but the cost of the onsite service technician visit, if necessary, will be paid by you. You may request a price estimate prior to the work, based on the type of the replacement. If your satellite antenna needs to be re-pointed after the first 6 months of service, a standard onsite visit fee will be charged to you. Reconditioned replacement components, parts, units, or materials may be used if the Equipment is repaired or replaced."  https://legal.hughes.com/SubAgree-03-16-17.cfm

New Poster

How is a misaligned dish the fault of the customer?? My equipment was purchased and installed and has not been good since day 1. They even sent me a new modem. I can only use wifi because the smart tv's do not have Ethernet ports. Why does HughesNet claim to have fast inter net at 25 mps when cable has 200 mps. HughesNet costs 3x per gig compared to cable. It seems HughesNet takes advantage because rural customers can't get cable.
New Poster

How is a misaligned dish the fault of the customer?? My equipment was purchased and installed and has not been good since day 1. They even sent me a new modem. I can only use wifi because the smart tv's do not have Ethernet ports. Why does HughesNet claim to have fast inter net at 25 mps when cable has 200 mps. HughesNet costs 3x per gig compared to cable. It seems HughesNet takes advantage because rural customers can't get cable. HughesNet is expensive for weak signals.
New Poster

How is a misaligned dish the fault of the customer?? My equipment was purchased and installed and has not been good since day 1. They even sent me a new modem. I can only use wifi because the smart tv's do not have Ethernet ports. Why does HughesNet claim to have fast inter net at 25 mps when cable has 200 mps. HughesNet costs 3x per gig compared to cable. It seems HughesNet takes advantage because rural customers can't get cable. HughesNet is expensive for weak signals. If a misaligned dish is the problem, then that should not be the responsibility of the customer who has no control over dish alignment regardless of any time limit.

"How is a misaligned dish the fault of the customer??"

No one says it's the fault of the customer, but it is the way the equipment warranty is set up.

From the subscriber agreement: "If service to the Outdoor Unit (satellite antenna and transmitter) is required, Hughes will, at its expense, repair or replace it pursuant to the limited warranty for the first six months after installation. From six months to the end of your limited warranty period, Hughes will cover the cost of the replacement equipment, but the cost of the onsite service technician visit, if necessary, will be paid by you."

"Why does HughesNet claim to have fast inter net at 25 mps when cable has 200 mps. HughesNet costs 3x per gig compared to cable."

HughesNet is not cable. It's satellite internet, which is much more limited in its bandwidth than cable. The satellite is built to deliver 25 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up, but the speed and performance are not guaranteed.

From the subscriber agreement: "Stated speeds and uninterrupted use of service are not guaranteed. Actual speeds will likely be lower than the maximum speeds during peak hours. In addition, when connected to the Service using Wi-Fi, the user’s experience will vary based on the proximity to the Wi-Fi source and the strength of the signal, and its usage is subject to the Fair Access Policy."

"It seems HughesNet takes advantage because rural customers can't get cable."

They don't. HughesNet provides a service to people in rural areas who aren't served by other ISPs. The cable companies can't be bothered with people from rural areas and don't want our business. HughesNet provides a service that's expensive because the infrastructure is expensive for the company to implement.

You ought to think about contacting your local council and your representatives in Congress and demand that they bring cable to the area. 

Associate Professor

So by @Avidwatcher's logic, the company should be liable if someone's kid or the UPS driver backs into the dish pole, putting it out of alignment.

Also by @Avidwatcher's logic, satellite technology, which has exorbitant overhead costs should be cheaper than terrestrial just because the speed is less.

Methinks @Avidwatcher has a sliver of an idea of how things should work from a layman's perspective, but doesn't completely understand how technology, message boards, business, or reality works.

I had to mention that handle three times because he/she clearly doesn't understand how distasteful spamming the same ridiculous point is.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

"the company should be liable if someone's kid or the UPS driver backs into the dish pole, putting it out of alignment."

Depends on the lawyer handling the case. 😁😁😁😁😁😁