Mobile Norton Security Network intrusion alert for HT2000W WiFi

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZPHughes
Freshman

Mobile Norton Security Network intrusion alert for HT2000W WiFi

I installed Mobile Norton Security app on my iPhone. The app tells me that my (HT2000W) network is compromised. 

What setting on the modem I need to change to make the network secure? All my devices do need to use PW to access it. 

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@ZPHughes 

The WiFi security settings are on the main WiFi page.  Go here, use admin as the password, and set the security to your liking.  WPA2 is the most commonly used.  You can also change the access password(s) there, if you wish to.   

There are no settings options for the HughesNet network itself.  Only the local security settings.  

Edit:  I should add that I'm not very versed in networking, so I don't really know what could be causing what the app is telling you.  Nor am I familiar with Apple products in general.  There are, however, people on here who are, as well as the reps.  If changing the settings doesn't help, I'm sure there will be someone here who can help to figure it out, whether it's a real issue, or even a false alert, and why it may be giving it.

I have same problem. I was told by hughesnet person there is something I could buy thru them to fix my problem. Norton says Hughes is compromised and open to attacks. But I'm told to pay more and they will fix it. Hughes are the attackers and this company is the worst wifi company I have ever dealt with. I will be paying fine to get rid of this trash!

maratsade

So pay the fine and go, if you're so unhappy. What's stopping you?

This is a tech support community, and you could get help here, but if you've given up and would rather not be proactive and find a solution to your problems, then pay the fine and go with another provider. 

friendcindy50 whined:

I have same problem. I was told by hughesnet person there is something I could buy thru them to fix my problem. Norton says Hughes is compromised and open to attacks. But I'm told to pay more and they will fix it. Hughes are the attackers and this company is the worst wifi company I have ever dealt with. I will be paying fine to get rid of this trash!

GabeU

@friendcindy50 wrote:

Two people with Norton showing a "Network Intrusion".  Zero people with any other security programs saying the same thing.  Probably at least 250,000 customers with Gen5, and even more with the HT2000W.  HughesNet subscribers are behind a double NAT.  HughesNet residential subscribers are assigned shared, dynamically changing IP addresses.  

Network intrusion?  Much more likely a false positive.  

But, as maratsade stated, no one is forcing you to stay.  You can pay the ETF and be on your merry way, if that's what you wish.  And what you were offered to "fix the problem" wasn't to fix any problem with Hughes.  What you were offered was almost assuredly Home Tech Support, which you have to pay for, and which, in the end, would almost assuredly show that it's nothing more than a false positive.  

And "Hughes are the attackers"?  Pretty much libelous nonsense with absolutely nothing to support the claim.

vladams2015
Sophomore

When you get the notification is there a “more” button or drop down for you to look at key information relative to the network being compromised.

If there isn’t, nothing is logged and it’s a false positive from one of two things: “learning” the connection or a new update to the software that has yet to be properly debugged prior to release.

If you have no logs, no worries. If there are logs the network does have some sort of compromise (which could be as simple as a native app that spoofs location)

There isn't a log there, or an option for more details. I think, it just detects vulnerability, potential, of the modem network.

Note that the same application indicates that another WiFi network, not in my house but at somebody's else, is secure. That WiFi is generated by another brand's router. So, it appears that the app "knows" what it is doing.   

Yeah, so if there arent any logs or options to view logs, you are either getting a report telling you that it is less secure than it should be, or it is a problem with the late3st version which is more likely. Regardless of whether or not you are getting a different message at another house (which I have never seen Norton Security give you a "no intrusion" message but I will believe you) it does not mean that it "knows what it is doing". I would leane way way more towards a buggy update version that hasn minor fixes that will come through eventually. However, as consumers we should be the ones that report these potential bugs to the developers so they can roll out changes. I would encourage you to contact Norton just as a heads up (or perhaps a remedy to a current issue you actually have)

I have the same issue - Norton Mobile app on Iphone, and it appears that HughesNet tech support isn't capable to truobleshoot the issue. I suspect they aren't much trained in the network setting options.

Yes, in my case as well, I don't get that "Compromised Network" message if I am at somebody's place who don't use HughesNet created network, i.e., thety don't use HughNet router.