cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Dis-association / constant signal loss

Tutor

Modem Dis-association / constant signal loss

I think you started the diagnostics at a very bad time Miss Amanda. You were starting just as I was leaving for town and just as some serious rain was beginning. By the time I returned at 5 PM CST, we had collected 3" of rain. When I checked my computer, etc at 5:30 PM, it was still raining quite nicely and I had SQF of 95.

I don't know the exact conditions here when you were testing. I was in Pensacola 25 miles SE and the weather got radical there shortly before 4 PM and that weather came from the direction of my site. I would estimate by 2:30 PM the weather was pretty radical at my site

Prior to this we've had some weather and it's been very cloudy. From Saturday afternoon through this morning we collected 1" of rain.

Weather was good last night. My wife reports light rain at 4 AM and we also had light rain at 7 AM when I started moving around and throughout the morning.

When I got on my computer early this morning and found the internet in the crash and burn mode,
I was seeing the usual dead as a hammer SQF of 15 before I started the CPR to get it up and running again. SQF 15 and no lights but power and LAN is the way it works when dead. This is no different from the usual crash and burn scenario that happens all too often both with the previous modem and the new modem.

After going through this time after time, I've learned there's no way to bring it back online without disconnecting power and coax but my first step is always doing a software reboot of the terminal Then I disconnect power and when that doesn't work (and it never does)  I progress to power and the inside end of the coax. The final step of last resort is disconnecting both ends of the coax. I've only had to go that far one time and that was to recover from the super crash of February 5. If I remember correctly, that crash also had something to do with a software update. Unfortunately, I didn't save a copy of that event log because I wasn't expecting the technician to change out my perfectly good modem with one that is even worse.

This brings to mind another question. Are these replacement modems refurbs while my OE modem was new?

Now that I have state codes to view, I notice the state code monitor is much different than it was before. Now it's a 2 page thing with no totals or summaries at the bottom and nothing that shows current state of all components. It does show thousands of seconds of state codes since this morning so that confirms there was some very bad weather here this afternoon. It shows 1999 seconds of 12.1.9 alone.

As for your falling back of the software to trigger a download, I still have :3.2.0.20 (M) which is what it came up with after recovering from fallback mode and 3.2.0.20 (F) this morning.

I'm pretty sure the previous software was 3.0.3.19. Hard to say because my logs got butchered since this morning. I lost over 2 weeks of events since then. Bottom line is it looks like this meltdown was also in conjunction with a software update.

At this moment 8:28 PM, I have thick clouds, light rain and SQF of 118.

Note: This conversation was created from a reply on: The DDDD (Dreaded Data Drain Disease).
7 REPLIES 7
Tutor

Re: Modem Dis-association / constant signal loss

It just turned out to be an inopportune time yesterday.

Right now, the weather is good. We have a thick layer of stratus clouds with no rain. The weather radar is clear to 50 miles out so conditions should remain stable for quite some time. I have a relatively stable SQF of 122-124 this morning. Not much fluctuation but that's the range I have seen. This is correct for current conditions.

No more state codes in the past 15h 30m. If you want to look, now would probably be good. I have a little work to complete this morning but it won't take long. Don't worry about knocking me off.

Hi GW,

Perhaps you are right and this is a bad time. I would appreciate if you can tell me if its calm (preferably when we're in the office) and I can look again.

Today I will be discussing your system with an engineer. I was able to see your modem hit 15 SQF and then come back up - there should be no reason for it to fall into 15 randomly. Hopefully they can provide more insight.

Thank you,
Amanda
Associate Professor

Hmm... that... is not good.  Hopefully they can come up with something.  On there end if it's raining/pouring, it's hard to tell if a system is out of alignment, or just suffering from weather... both give the same symptoms.
Tutor

I can tell you now the weather for the rest of the week will be bad with rain and thunderstorms. We have a condition going on now similar to the Pineapple
Express. An atmospheric river of Pacific moisture is now being pumped across Mexico to supplement the Gulf moisture that's been soaking and flooding areas to the west of here.

Any given place will be subject to receiving 3" of rain per day this week. Who gets it is the luck of the draw.
Associate Professor

Tomorrow if possible, please let us all know how the weather is, and what the forecast for the day looks to be.  Chances are they are going to do one of the following... not because of any data drain, but because of the constant firmware and disassociation you are experiencing. 

1: Send out an entirely different modem that's known to be operational and look deep into your old one to see what happened to it.

2: Send a technician out to check the systems alignment, as well as some other configuration parameters, and have them possibly replace equipment if needed...

Let us know if there are any chances of t-storms or heavy rain as that can make it impossible for them to do proper diagnostics.

(You can get an hourly view of rain chance percentages at www.wunderground.com and let us know better about the weather there)

Hi GW,

Thanks for the update. I'll be looking into your diagnostics now. I also forked the comment with the most posts under it to better focus on your current concerns Smiley Happy

Best,
Amanda
Tutor

We had another lengthy, weather-related outage today thanks to another quick 1.5" gully washer. Signal ranged between 1 and 35. As always, these dis-associations are automatically recoverable as soon as the signal improves.

This is somehow very different than the other type of outage where SQF holds a steady 15 and is never recoverable without intervention.

I don't care for the new version of the State Code Monitor. I hope the software wizards give us back the old version soon.