cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem S?N B3 0010634521 A3 HT 1100 - Slow speeds - unable to get help from chat support

Modem S?N B3 0010634521 A3 HT 1100 - Slow speeds - unable to get help from chat support

I have had HughesNet since November 2014 and have never been able to achieve the speeds promised. Smart Browsing was added and I understood from all that I have read and from what telephone reps said that speeds for regular internet use would be just as fast as before I used all my data allowance. I understand that movies and videos would be very slow. Even with Smart Browsing (when it's active - which is not always the case), my speeds are abysmal. I use chat support mostly because it's sometimes difficult to understand the reps on the phone. I state the problem and they echo it, but then they revert to a script (all of them say the same things) and I never have any resolution to my problem. Here are recent speed tests:

I have checked all cables and all seem securely attached. Some of the speed tests were the modem directly connected to the computer and some connected to the router. I hope someone can help; I am very frustrated with this provider.
35 REPLIES 35
Assistant Professor

Re: Modem S?N B3 0010634521 A3 HT 1100 - Slow speeds - unable to get help from chat support

Martha, are you over your data limit now (FAP mode)? That is the speed one would expect to see when over the limit even with Smart Browsing.
Highlighted

Re: Modem S?N B3 0010634521 A3 HT 1100 - Slow speeds - unable to get help from chat support

I am over my data limit, but was told that speeds would be comparable as if I had data when smart browsing is activated. I can't imagine why a 21st century internet provider can't have higher speeds. 
Associate Professor

Speeds are comparable when in SmartBrowse mode, but, prolonged use at high rates will still cause the system to enter into full FAP mode.
Honorary Alumnus

Martha, it is possible that a background process is running and drawing a sufficient amount of data to trigger the override of SmartBrowse and therefore enforce FAP speeds.

Assistant Professor

Well, Smart Browsing will only help with non-secure pages and ones that don't have videos that automatically load. If it is detected that you are trying to stream video or audio while using Smart Browser you will be throttled further.

The bottom line is speed will be limited, even with Smart Browsing, once you go over your monthly limit.

It seems that I will have to endure this antiquated system until I can get another provider. Thanks for your comments and help.
Assistant Professor

Satellite internet is pretty much for those with only dial-up or unreliable DSL service as an alternative.

I feel the same way Martha after you go over your data the speed slows down a lot so that your not able to watch any videos at all I've come to learn after many hours of investigating the company that this is their way of making you spend a fortune in tokens, so by all means BEWARE and if another internet provider is available in your area I highly recommend switching ASAP.... At least you won't have to worry about going over your data.To have to worry about data overage in this day and age is nothing but a joke...what Hughes is doing is just a SCAM...
Honorary Alumnus

Lori, there is such a thing as monitoring your usage and pacing yourself.
It is no secret that Hughesnet as data caps and is a connection type of last resort.
Its just like driving a car, you can't blame the car if it runs out of gas.
Afterall the gas gauge is right there in front of you. A Hughes connection has three different meters in which to track your usage.