Modem doesn’t always reset after a power outage

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dphauser
New Poster

Modem doesn’t always reset after a power outage

My Hughesnet is located on my remote cottage providing internet access for the security system and thermostat controls. It is 75 miles from my home. 
The area is subject to brief or longer power loss on occasion. For the most part, the modem will restore internet service after the power is restored. But not every time. 
When it doesn’t reset I have to drive 75 miles each way and unplug-replug to get it going again. I contact Hughesnet service first before taking the trip. They have never been able to reset and get it working remotely. 
I have explained to them the drive and the inconvenience. No help.

They say everything is fine with the modem so no replacement or actions from them.

I feel the device should reset itself as everything else does without me driving 150 miles. 
Is there any other advice out there?

10 REPLIES 10
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

The reps are off until Tuesday due to the holiday, but I'm sure they'll reply about whether there's anything they can do.

I'd suggest a UPS (uninterruptible power supply), but that'll only help with short term power losses, not something that lasts for a while.  

Liz

Good morning dphauser,

Thanks for posting, power outages may affect the modem and so it may not always behave as expected. If the modem has no power or is otherwise uncommunicable, we can't remotely send any commands to it, like to reset. As Gabe suggested, perhaps a UPS can mitigate this when there's power loss.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

My issue is that the modem doesn’t start-reset AFTER the power outage is over. I understand that it won’t work when the power is restored.

What is causing the “uncommunicable” that can’t be fixed by help chat?

Seems that all other things reset-restart after a power outage. Why won’t this ?

Again, driving 150 miles to pull the plug is not acceptable. 

maratsade

I think what you're saying is that most times the modem powers up and connects to the internet just fine when the power returns, right? And sometimes it doesn't do that -- power returns but modem remains off. And you'd like to know why. 

Could it be something wrong with your circuit breaker? You may need to get an electrician in there to check the breaker and the wiring. 

It has power and some lights are on. But doesn’t reconnect to the internet. So the circuit breaker is fine.

maratsade

Thank you for clarifying. 🙂

maratsade

"What is causing the “uncommunicable” that can’t be fixed by help chat?"

The modem being off. When it's off, they can't communicate with it. 

The modem is on with some lights showing but it doesn’t reconnect to the internet. So, although it’s “on” the help chat can’t get it to restart and connect to the internet again

Hi dphauser,

I can reach your modem and diagnostics show all is fine except that the site is currently subject to the Fair Access Policy, so speeds are reduced though there is connectivity. Do you still want me to reset the modem?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi dphauser,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

Thanks,

Liz