Hughesnet Community

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camptrained
New Poster

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

Hi. I hope I can get some help here. I have been having an issue where ALL the lights on my modem go out and come back on slowly for some time now. Months. I have spent dozens of hours on the phone with HughesNet and still have the problem. This happens numerous times a day . I have had techs out twice-at my cost. They repositioned the dish the first time and regrounded the system the second time. Still the same problem goes on and on.  Things I have tried include power cycle bot modem and router, replace the router and cables, tried a different outlet, reset both the modem and the router and still the problem persists. I requested a new modem but was told that it would cost $174+. AND I don't own that modem AND I have to send the old one back so the fee does not make sense-I have paying for months for service that is more of a frustration than a benefit but we are very rural and our options are limited...I finally got to someone who said they could send another tech and replace the modern AFTER troubleshooting when it is down for fee, so I have to call when the system is down. I have tried that 2x's but by the time I finally get through the auto stuff and explain ALL OVER again what my situation is the modem is back up and running. Please help.
34 REPLIES 34
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Does the power light also go off? That would indicate a hardware  problem of some sort. Power supply, modem, cable, radio, etc.
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

A problem connecting to the gateway would only affect the transmit and receive LEDs.

A router to modem cable connection would only affect the top LAN LED.

Having all five LED's ... I would first check, if you haven't already, make sure that the DIN connector on the rear of the modem is pushed in ALL the way.

It goes in rather far and on some modems is very hard to seat completely.

Just to clarify, that will be the connector with the red circle around it:

Also be sure the coax cable is firmly tightened.

Beyond that the forum Mods will have to run remote diagnostics on your system to see what error codes are set.

camptrained
New Poster

Yes, all cords, including the DIN connector are pushed in all the way. Thank you for the support and information. 🙂
camptrained
New Poster

Yes, all 5 lights go off, even the power light. Thank you for your help.....I guess I will be investing some more time on the phone. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

That really is about all you can do on your end.

I'm sure the Mods will be along shortly although this is Monday and they will be working on the weekend backlog of posts so please be patient.

Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Frankly after having posted here in the Community I would skip the phone support at this time.

The Hughes employees here are at the corporate level and are VERY good.

camptrained
New Poster

I actually did call and go through it briefly. The girl at tech support "reset" my modem. And within seconds it was out again. She transferred me to "Home Tech Support" who said within 2 minutes that it is a bad modem. HOWEVER they cannot schedule repair or replacement OR transfer me back to Hughes Net as they are a third party technical group. Now I am having to call back again. Ugh. I appreciate your support and quick responses here in community. 
camptrained
New Poster

Gwalk900, Champion Thanks for your reply and support! When you say that you would not call and that Corporate is very good, doe that mean I contact them? Or they see this post and assist from there? 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

They will see this post and reply,

They will also run remote diagnostics from their end to look at the modems internal logs.

They can if warranted send out a replacement modem or handle a tech visit if that is required.

They will respond as soon as they can and they WILL get your issue resolved.

camptrained
New Poster

Thanks so much for the information!!! I have loved HughesNet and am very happy when it works....we definitely want to stay with them...  🙂
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I too have been a "techy" and a Hughes subscriber for about 12 years and it has for the most part performed well.

Anything however can "break".

The modem retains extensive logs of its condition, both past and present.

The Hughes employees here in the Community are very well versed in this area, have greater knowledge and experience and have all of the technical resources of Hughes at their command.

They are however few in number and they as corporate employees work 9 to 5 ish M-F eastern time so are working through the weekend accumulation of posts.

They will however see your topic and respond as soon as they can.

Just to expedite things it would help if you could post a case number from a phone support episode or the serial number of your modem that can be found on the bottom or rear of your Hughes modem.

Remember not to post your SAN (starts with DSS) or other personally identifiable information such as email and so forth.

That will ensure that the Mods can ID your account details in the event that your Community log in info does not ID you.

Amanda

Hi camptrained,

Welcome to our community! I am so happy to see our customers have been giving tips and trying to get this solved. I was able to locate your account by your e-mail and I am currently opening up a case so I can run diagnostics and see if I can pinpoint the problem right away. Sit tight & I'll be back!

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi camptrained

I looked around and everything looks good signal, pointing wise. Doesn't appear your modem is overheating and if you've already tried a different outlet, we can rule out a faulty surge protector too. The reset log indicated it may be a software failure. I have reloadedf the software profile to your modem already - can you please let me know if this still does not resolve your issue?

Thank you
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda, could bad modem memory cause this? Do you have a test for it on your end?
Amanda

Not per se - but  I don't have the ability to monitor the behavior before a shutdown or "crash" so I wouldn't know exactly if that caused it.

Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Just when you mention software failure I think firmware memory failure especially when the "software" is in firmware memory.
camptrained
New Poster

Thank you very much! I have just seen this this morning and will let you know how things go over the next couple hours. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you looking in to this for me. Fingers crossed. PS The community has been wonderful support and I am so glad that I used this forum! 
camptrained
New Poster

They did see and have provided assistance! Yay! Thanks for your help and support. I appreciate it. 
camptrained
New Poster

Thank you so much that is a great idea. Good news-they have already seen my post and have provided assistance. So far it appears to have worked. I will try doing some work online and keep everyone update. I can't thank you enough for your help and shared knowledge. 
camptrained
New Poster

Bad news Amanda, within about 10 minutes the same problem happened again. It went down at 7:23 mst this morning. I can't tell you how relieved I am to have support here and not have to call in again. Please let me know if there is information you need from me. The last case number I have from HughesNet is 53351352. And the case and pin number from home tech support are Case # 1604-T022336 Pin # 1003663699 if that helps any.