Hughesnet Community

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
camptrained
New Poster

Modem lights go off completely and come back on.

Hi. I hope I can get some help here. I have been having an issue where ALL the lights on my modem go out and come back on slowly for some time now. Months. I have spent dozens of hours on the phone with HughesNet and still have the problem. This happens numerous times a day . I have had techs out twice-at my cost. They repositioned the dish the first time and regrounded the system the second time. Still the same problem goes on and on.  Things I have tried include power cycle bot modem and router, replace the router and cables, tried a different outlet, reset both the modem and the router and still the problem persists. I requested a new modem but was told that it would cost $174+. AND I don't own that modem AND I have to send the old one back so the fee does not make sense-I have paying for months for service that is more of a frustration than a benefit but we are very rural and our options are limited...I finally got to someone who said they could send another tech and replace the modern AFTER troubleshooting when it is down for fee, so I have to call when the system is down. I have tried that 2x's but by the time I finally get through the auto stuff and explain ALL OVER again what my situation is the modem is back up and running. Please help.
34 REPLIES 34
camptrained
New Poster

It happens whether we are online or not and I do have some videos of it when it goes out...When all 5 lights go out there is a red light behind the blue of the power light if that makes any sense. I also have numerous numbers of diagnosis codes written down that I get, but I am sure you can see those in the event logs. I am not tech and have no idea what any of it means.
Amanda

Hi camptrained

Sounds like we should just replace the modem. I understand you were quoted the full out of warranty price, however we will be replacing it for you here at no charge. Please remember to pack up and ship back the old one with the prepaid shipping label that comes with your new modem. Once it has been set up and tested out, let us know if the problem reoccurs. You should receive the replacement in 2 business days.

Thanks
Amanda
camptrained
New Poster

Great! Thank you so much. I will definitely keep you informed. What a great experience this forum has been. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Just a tip, the power LED turning red is an indicator that the modem is over heating.
Be sure the modem is vertical and has plenty of room for air flow.
camptrained
New Poster

Hi. I just thought I would touch base here again. We are still having the horrible problem with our modem and have not recieved the new one yet. The modem is upright and has good ventilation around it. Nothing that we have tried has had any real effect. Power cycle, reset, different electrical outlet, we bought a humidifier to prevent static electricity because that was ONE OF MANY reasons given for the problem, new router, new cords, repeatedly checking the connections of all the cords, reset and trouble shooting with customer service more times than I can tell you, technicians out twice, one "repositioned" the dish and one "grounded" the wires. I really enjoyed HughesNet before this problem started about 6 months ago. I have requested to cancel twice and they tell me they have it fixed so I give it another try. At one point it worked for 24 hours without going out and I thought we were good so I upgraded to the 50/50 GB plan. I was so excited to be able to operate my photography business from home and watch Grey's Anatomy....unfortunately it was not resolved and only became more frustrating.
 Hoping the new modem arrives today. 
camptrained
New Poster

Update, we received the new modem this evening. Installation seems to have gone well and we are online....will update you over the next couple days but it seems right now as though our problem is resolved! YAY!!!
camptrained
New Poster

I am super pleased to report that the new modem is working beautifully!! I appreciate all the help and support I recieved here, thanks Amanda, so very much!! Also a special thanks to Gwalk900 and Birddog. I am also following closely your replies on how to manage usage-although this hasn't been a problem I am so excited to have continuous service that it could be! Thanks again. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Persistence does pay off !

If you have further problems or even a question .. please post here in the Community and we will do our very best.

Amanda

Hi Camptrained

Great to hear! Sorry it took a while to get there 🙂 They are  usually pretty fast. Don't forget to send the old one back! We will be here and leave your post open in case something comes up.

Thanks
Amanda
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Camptrained - I have the EXACT same problem.  My modem has been replaced.  Techs have been out and checked everything.  It still happens multiple times daily.  The last couple of times I have checked when it comes back on and on the status page that there is sofware  downloading.  It also shows that there is an error in the LAN address.  

I have been unable to get any help from Hughes.  They insist on telling me it is a "power surge."  I have also talked to my electric company and they gave me some things to do to see if this could be a power surge.  This happens no matter where my modem is plugged in. 

Very, very frustrating.  I have not called in a while to report because it takes forever to get past the first person who just wants me to unplug and plug my modem when I KNOW that is not the problem.   

If you get a "fix" for this, I'd love to hear it.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Why not start your own post and get help from an official representative at corporate level such as Amanda? Honestly, much better that hour long phone calls.
Mordacious

ncseaamonkey

When they replaced your modem did they replace the power supply? I've had a similar problem and the CSR here have been working with me for a week. They will get you the help you need and work until it is fixed. It was a long and arduous process but the CSRs here never gave up. Probably better to post your own thread and even better, and I don't mean this the wrong way because there is a lot of great help here, but I post any issues I have in a private thread because there are individuals here that feed on negative things even when Hughesnet takes care of the problem.

I've been with Hughesnet for 6 years and this is the first major problem I've had. It took a week to track down the problem but it did get fixed.
ncseamonkey59
Sophomore

Mordacious - 

They did replace the power cord - I should mention that my modem and power cord have been replaced numerous times.  Techs have been to my house numerous times.  

This is the first time I have posted here (I did start a new thread) simply because of what you say - the negativity. I  don't want negative, nasty comments - I just want to get my service fixed.  I work from home and this is costing me money because I am unable to get work done.  

Would you mind giving me direction on how do I start a private thread?  I would rather eat dirt than call Customer Support.

Thank you !!
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Would you mind giving me direction on how do I start a private thread?  

After starting a new topic scroll down and check the highlighted box: