Modem reboots.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
singingfalls
Sophomore

Modem reboots.

Attached is my modem recycle screenshot. I've read the forum topic on this subject. It was very helpful. Nonetheless I have this to add to the topic. Tech company has come out 4 times. Modem replaced 3 times. The last trip he changed out the modem, radio and checked the cable from antenna to modem and compelled me to purchase a larger dish. It ran fine for a month. Last evening the problem started all over again. Called tech support and set up an appointment. What is really going on? What could be causing this equipment to go out? No adverse impact on any of our PCs, printers or in house electrically sensitive systems like TV etc.

The reason I attach the screenshot is that I also notice that each time the modem reboots my usage bandwidth is dropping considerably. I notice on the system status page that each time it reboots it is doing a software update ( I imagine it is a firmware recycle to go along with the modem reboot). This is a very painful experience since it has been going on for months.

[edited out screenshot for privacy]

Any help would be appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@singingfalls 

This is only concerning the picture itself, but you should edit out your SAN.  This is your account number, which you should never post in public.   

Hopefully a rep or someone else will answer soon regarding the issue you're experiencing.  With that said, still having the problem after all you've had done makes me wonder if it's a power issue.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated.

MrBuster
Senior

The log shows frequent power cycle reboots, since this has happened with other modems, maybe check out the power socket this is plugged in to?  Is this plugged into a power strip?  Have you try plugging into a different socket and directly into a wall socket?

Also you will want to edit out the SAN at the top of the image.

@Amanda Copy you in case you can help with editing the image?

Edit:  GabeU posted just a moment before I did.  I did want to add I had something like this where the breaker the modem was plugged in was getting tripped.  In that case, I just lost power so it did not reboot over and over.  Changing to a different plug on a separate breaker fixed it for me.  It was being tripped by my space heater in the winter.

GabeU

@MrBuster wrote:

Have you try plugging into a different socket and directly into a wall socket? 

Good idea.  About ten years ago I had an old breaker that was going and it was causing the electricity at a few outlets to fluctuate considerably.  One of them I had my DirecTV receiver plugged into, and it was causing some issues with it.  

@singingfalls 

Do you know if the power pack was replaced during at least one of the times they replaced the modem?

GabeU and all. Thank you for your replies. I don't believe I have a power pack for this modem so not sure it is switched out. When tech showed up he replaced the modem with the cord etc if that is what you mean.

@GabeU wrote:

@singingfalls 

Do you know if the power pack was replaced during at least one of the times they replaced the modem?

GabeU

@singingfalls 

Sorry, I should have called it a power supply.  It's the power brick and cord which connects the modem to the power outlet.  

In her research, Liz will most likely be able to see if it was replaced, or whether it even needed to be.  🙂  

@GabeU wrote:

@singingfalls 

Sorry, I should have called it a power supply.  It's the power brick and cord which connects the modem to the power outlet.  

In her research, Liz will most likely be able to see if it was replaced, or whether it even needed to be.  🙂  

Nope, no power brick with this unit. If so it is internal. Modem plugs directly into the wall. I had it connected to a surge protector backup power supply at first. Then on to a power strip. Then directly into the wall. Nothing helped.

GabeU

@singingfalls 

It does, it's just not what you're thinking.  All HughesNet modems have a brick.  The brick steps down the power, as well as a few other things.  If you have Gen5, which it sounds like you do, you have the HT2000W modem, which has a power supply with a brick.  This is an HT2000W power supply, with the brick on the right.  The cord that plugs into the back of the modem comes out of the brick.  The cord that plugs into the power outlet plugs into the opposite end of the brick (the top of it in the picture).  

Capture.JPG

Good morning singingfalls,

I understand that trying another power outlet to see if the issue persists may be difficult, so please do so at your convenience. I'm looking at this case from 2016 when you had a HT1000, and you called in describing the same symptoms. I'm inclined to think that the power supply is the root cause, and I'll have to confer with my team and perhaps an engineer to confirm that this is likely what's going on. 

I see you had the HN9000 as well, was this happening back then with that modem too?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thank for your attention Liz. Please let me know what you come up with.

Hi singingfalls,

Did the rebooting issue also happen when you had the HN9000?

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Good morning singingfalls,

In addition to letting me know if the rebooting issue also happened when you had the HN9000, please let me know if the power cord is fully plugged into the back of the HT2000w. I've heard the plug can be difficult to seat on that model.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Good morning singingfalls,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

@MrBuster wrote:

The log shows frequent power cycle reboots, since this has happened with other modems, maybe check out the power socket this is plugged in to?  Is this plugged into a power strip?  Have you try plugging into a different socket and directly into a wall socket?

Also you will want to edit out the SAN at the top of the image.

@Amanda Copy you in case you can help with editing the image?

Edit:  GabeU posted just a moment before I did.  I did want to add I had something like this where the breaker the modem was plugged in was getting tripped.  In that case, I just lost power so it did not reboot over and over.  Changing to a different plug on a separate breaker fixed it for me.  It was being tripped by my space heater in the winter.

Thank you MrBuster. Very interesting. It wouldn't be easy for me to switch outlets since I'd have to have the entire PC system moved to another room. That said it would certainly be worth a try to experiment by using a power cord from another room outlet just to see if it worked. I'll try it Something simpler would be to switch out the breaker from one room to the other in the breaker box to test the breaker itself. I'll try anything at this juncture. With some thought it might be something as simple as the remote location in which I live. Phone and power out here are notorious for being edgy. (We don't even have cell service.) I don't know what I would do in that case.

Liz

Hi singingfalls,

Thanks for posting and providing that screenshot, I saved it to my computer for reference. I'd like to address your concerns, so please let me start with investigating your latest dispatches on 1/29/19 and 11/28/18. The one before that on 5/20/17 appears to be your Gen 5 upgrade, not a repair visit.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thank you for addressing my security issues in the image. Grateful.

I've had the modem switched out three times. I believe there was a switch in between November and January also. The previous visits were for changing the modem only. I may have that sequence wrong but I know the first modem was switched out for poor performance. The second modem was switched out and then a third modem was switched out. The reboot problem started before November. My case is very well documented at hughes if it is available to you? I have used other sources of power (generator), switched recepticles, reset the modem and all of the other procedures advised by support. I've been a customer for near a decade.

Since you had this same problem some years ago with a ht1000, and I see you also had the radio replaced, and the coax  checked.  I would guess you have some sort of power problem.  An easy way out may be to plug the modem into a true sine wave UPS.  I know this seems nonintuitive, since you already tried generator power, but a  UPS would be the next thing I would try.

I switched my whole computer system to one some time ago, because of all the power glitches in my area.   I love it now, when I see all of the lights in my house blink off and back on, and my system is still working.

Gaines_wright, Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated. I originally had the unit on an external UPS. It did not seem to moderate the problem. Perhaps a new one is in order. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Like to add that most generators, unless the inverter type, put out lots of spurious noise which can play havoc on sensitive electronics in certain situations. Common grounding is especially important when using generators.

No idea if anything to do with your particular problem but wanted to put it out here since generators where mentioned.

@singingfalls wrote:

Gaines_wright, Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated. I originally had the unit on an external UPS. It did not seem to moderate the problem. Perhaps a new one is in order. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Well, if you already tried a UPS I wouldn't bother buying a new one.  Electronics can usually handle the output from modern inverters pretty well.   

With most inexpensive UPSs you are actually operating off the line most of the time.  Now I'm wondering if some sort of glitch on the AC line is getting through to the modem, either when operating on the line, or in that tiny bit of time before the UPS switches to inverter power. 

As a last resort, I would try hooking the modem to a UPS, and unplug the UPS to force it to the inverter.  You would have to take care not to "brown out"  the modem.  I don't know if this would actually hurt the modem or not,  but I wouldn't take any chances.  Some UPSs will take care of this problem for you, and cut the power if their output voltage falls too low.

If you still get a reboot of the modem when on the inverter.  I guess it's back to square one.  Since  you had a month of no reboots after the radio was replaced,  I would suspect the new one may have also failed due to "infant mortality".