Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem reboots.

Sophomore

Re: Modem reboots.

@GabeU wrote:

@singingfalls 

Sorry, I should have called it a power supply.  It's the power brick and cord which connects the modem to the power outlet.  

In her research, Liz will most likely be able to see if it was replaced, or whether it even needed to be.  Smiley Happy  

Nope, no power brick with this unit. If so it is internal. Modem plugs directly into the wall. I had it connected to a surge protector backup power supply at first. Then on to a power strip. Then directly into the wall. Nothing helped.

Distinguished Professor IV

@singingfalls 

It does, it's just not what you're thinking.  All HughesNet modems have a brick.  The brick steps down the power, as well as a few other things.  If you have Gen5, which it sounds like you do, you have the HT2000W modem, which has a power supply with a brick.  This is an HT2000W power supply, with the brick on the right.  The cord that plugs into the back of the modem comes out of the brick.  The cord that plugs into the power outlet plugs into the opposite end of the brick (the top of it in the picture).  

Capture.JPG

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Good morning singingfalls,

I understand that trying another power outlet to see if the issue persists may be difficult, so please do so at your convenience. I'm looking at this case from 2016 when you had a HT1000, and you called in describing the same symptoms. I'm inclined to think that the power supply is the root cause, and I'll have to confer with my team and perhaps an engineer to confirm that this is likely what's going on. 

I see you had the HN9000 as well, was this happening back then with that modem too?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Since you had this same problem some years ago with a ht1000, and I see you also had the radio replaced, and the coax  checked.  I would guess you have some sort of power problem.  An easy way out may be to plug the modem into a true sine wave UPS.  I know this seems nonintuitive, since you already tried generator power, but a  UPS would be the next thing I would try.

I switched my whole computer system to one some time ago, because of all the power glitches in my area.   I love it now, when I see all of the lights in my house blink off and back on, and my system is still working.

Highlighted
Sophomore

Thank for your attention Liz. Please let me know what you come up with.

Sophomore

Gaines_wright, Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated. I originally had the unit on an external UPS. It did not seem to moderate the problem. Perhaps a new one is in order. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Assistant Professor

Like to add that most generators, unless the inverter type, put out lots of spurious noise which can play havoc on sensitive electronics in certain situations. Common grounding is especially important when using generators.

No idea if anything to do with your particular problem but wanted to put it out here since generators where mentioned.

Hi singingfalls,

Did the rebooting issue also happen when you had the HN9000?

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

@singingfalls wrote:

Gaines_wright, Thank you for your concern. It is appreciated. I originally had the unit on an external UPS. It did not seem to moderate the problem. Perhaps a new one is in order. I'll look into it as soon as possible.

Well, if you already tried a UPS I wouldn't bother buying a new one.  Electronics can usually handle the output from modern inverters pretty well.   

With most inexpensive UPSs you are actually operating off the line most of the time.  Now I'm wondering if some sort of glitch on the AC line is getting through to the modem, either when operating on the line, or in that tiny bit of time before the UPS switches to inverter power. 

As a last resort, I would try hooking the modem to a UPS, and unplug the UPS to force it to the inverter.  You would have to take care not to "brown out"  the modem.  I don't know if this would actually hurt the modem or not,  but I wouldn't take any chances.  Some UPSs will take care of this problem for you, and cut the power if their output voltage falls too low.

If you still get a reboot of the modem when on the inverter.  I guess it's back to square one.  Since  you had a month of no reboots after the radio was replaced,  I would suspect the new one may have also failed due to "infant mortality".

Good morning singingfalls,

In addition to letting me know if the rebooting issue also happened when you had the HN9000, please let me know if the power cord is fully plugged into the back of the HT2000w. I've heard the plug can be difficult to seat on that model.

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Liz