Modem stopped working

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lshiflet
Freshman

Modem stopped working

My modem only has the power and wifi lights on. Nothing changes when I try the reset button. I have also tried to power cycle. Nothing has helped.
7 REPLIES 7
MarkJFine
Professor

If you depressed the red reset button in the back for too long, the modem will need to be re-registered with the satellite network by an admin or tech help - something you really can't do from home.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lshiflet 

Though this may be a redundant question, are you sure there is no snow on the dish or anything else obstructing it?  Have you had any recent high wind that may have moved the dish?  

Please make sure that the coax cable connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

With a LAN cable connected device, can you get to this page?  If so, what do you see listed for a State Code in the System Summary box near the top of the page?  As well, what is showing for the Satellite Receive Signal Strength in the Wan Info box on the bottom left?  

Lastly, as Mark mentioned, if the reset button was pushed in for too long it may have caused the modem to perform a factory reset, which may necessitate a reinstallation procedure being performed by a rep/tech.  If, however, you pressed the button and immediately released it, this probably didn't happen.  Either way, it would be best to not press it again unless instructed to do so by a HughesNet rep.  

The coax cable is finger tight and the power cord is properly plugged in. I cannot access the website you mentioned, nor can I get to the system control center page.

Also, I am fairly sure that we have only touched the reset button and immediately released it, so that is probably not the issue.

Hello Leslie,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear your modem is not working properly.  It looks like you called in recently to have a brand new modem sent out. Once your new modem arrives, please update me with your status. If you have any questions with setting things back up, please post here and either myself or our community members will be able to assist you. 

-Damian 

Leslie,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you. 

-Damian 

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@lshiflet wrote:
The coax cable is finger tight and the power cord is properly plugged in. I cannot access the website you mentioned, nor can I get to the system control center page.

That definitely suggests that there's something wrong with the modem, as even when there's a satellite connection issue one should still be able to connect to that page.  

I'm sure the reps will answer soon to address the issue.  In the meantime, please be sure to leave the modem plugged in so that the reps can run remote diagnostics on your HughesNet equipment.  They may not be able to connect because of the modem issue, but that will help to inform them of the problem. 

@Liz 

@Amanda 

@Hardy 

@Damian