cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly Data

New Poster

Monthly Data

How do I keep Hughesnet from stealing my monthly data? I can be away for a couple of days and come back and my data will be a lot lower than when I left? Why do they do this and how do I keep them from doing it?

86 REPLIES 86
Professor

Re: Monthly Data

Hughesnet doesn't steal your data. Things that are connected to your modem use data. Anything connected to your modem, such as smart TVs can use data by themselves.   To see what's connected to your modem, go to this page:  http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

If you don't want your connected devices to use data when you're away, you could unplug the modem and/or turn off the wifi.  That way there'd be no usage. 

Sophomore

Yeah, before I learned to double check  all my wi-fi connections, and keep them turned off unless I was actually using them (I usually just plug into the modem directly by ethernet cable to my main computer) I got 'mysteriously  FAPped ' three days in a row when I had my wi-fi router on....

It turned out that  two of the FAPs were due to my Amazon Kindle Fire device updating it's operating system (no way to prevent that when the wi-fi is on, thanks a lot, Amazon), and the other time,  my cell phone GPS / mapping program was on, and downloaded  hundreds of megabytes of Google satellite map images that I didn't request.

Like Marat said, Anything connected to your wi-fi , (including your neighbors or passers-by, if your network isn't secured), can steal your data.

Professor

I had the same problem with Kindle, years ago. I didn't realise it was constantly connecting to Amazon until I noticed a data drain.  I turned off the wifi on it and mystery solved. 

Good idea to secure the network too -- at least change the passwords regularly. 

New Poster

Professor, yes, they did. I took my divices with me. After starting a new month, the first time I checked my data, before I even checked my email, 5% was already gone. Was not home yesterday and 10% was drained while gone. So, yes, they stole my data.

Professor

I repeat, HughesNet doesn't steal data.  They sell you data and you use it (or things on your network use it even if you don't).  Something/someone in your network is using your data and you're not aware of it. 

People here can help you troubleshoot, but you need to be willing to do it. This will help you figure out where the data is going.  If you're willing to solve the mystery of your disappearing data, please follow this protocol:  https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Where-s-my-bytes-Testing-for-data-leaks/m-p/77194#M5...

There are many people here who are happy to help, but you need to work with us.  

New Poster

And I repeat, yes, they did. NOTHING was even here to be hooked up to the wifi.

Advanced Tutor

@Glenn wrote:

First, Hughesnet does not steal data.

Before thie post gets out of hand.Do you have a program that will track data usage?

Professor

Well, if you ever want help from this site, please follow the protocol linked above. Good luck. 

Glenn wrote:

Professor

If he has no devices connected, wouldn't the only thing that could track data [Edit: meaning, track data usage] be a router equipped with a data tracker?  

@Reggie wrote:

.Do you have a program that will track data usage?