Monthly Data

New Poster

Re: Monthly Data

, They did!
Advanced Tutor

@Glenn wrote:
, They did!

Would you explain what devices are connected to your network?

New Poster

Nothing when I'm not here which is what I am trying to say. Only my laptop when I am.

Advanced Tutor

When you leave the home do you unplug the modem?

New Poster

no

@Reggie wrote:

When you leave the home do you unplug the modem?

Professor

I suggest you unplug it next time, Glenn.   Do you live alone? I ask because if there's someone else in your household, they could be using the data when you're not there.  In any case, if you unplug the router from the wall, there would be no connection with the satellite, and no data usage. 

New Poster

@maratsade wrote:

I suggest you unplug it next time, Glenn.   Do you live alone? I ask because if there's someone else in your household, they could be using the data when you're not there.  In any case, if you unplug the router from the wall, there would be no connection with the satellite, and no data usage. 

My wife is here some of those times but she never uses the wifi. But even if she is with me, it still drops. I shouldn't have to remember to turn off the modem just because they have screwed up hardware.

Professor

Sorry to hear you don't want to figure out what's going on.  There's an answer, but we need your help to find it.  If you ever decide you want to figure out where your data is going, we can help; just remember to run the protocol linked above first.  Looks like there's nothing else we can do for you for now.  

New Poster

@maratsade wrote:

Sorry to hear you don't want to figure out what's going on.  There's an answer, but we need your help to find it.  If you ever decide you want to figure out where your data is going, we can help; just remember to run the protocol linked above first.  Looks like there's nothing else we can do for you for now.  

Never said that I didn't want to figure it out. I guess I was told what was wrong. Hughesnet has faulty hardware and I have to remember to turn it off every time I leave the house. But what about when I am here? I can't turn it off and on every time I pick up and put down the computer. The solution is unreasonable.

Professor

OK, what I suggested is a way to prove data is being used when you're not home.  One way to make sure no data is being used is to turn off the modem.. 

Without running the data leaks protocol, you can't assume there's faulty equipment. The protocol will actually show whether there's an unknown data leak or not.  HughesNet will require the protocol before they do anything like, for example, provide you with new equipment.  You need to run the protocol on your side, because HughesNet doesn't live with you and can't do it. Until you run the protocol and post the required data, there's really nothing we can do for you here, and nothing that HughesNet will do.  

The HughesNet reps will be back on this site next week. They're usually on during business hours, M-F.  They will likely wait for you to provide the requested data before they intervene.