cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

Highlighted

Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

I spoke with two different sales reps before I signed up with HughesNet.  I explained to both that there are only two people using our internet, for web browsing, email, Facebook.  We don't use Netflix, although I told the reps we were considering it.  They both assured me that the 10 GB per month plan would be PLENTY of data for us.  No one emphasized that we needed to check our usage daily.  And for the first month, everything was fine.  However, the day before our month ended, my husband called to say we were out of data.  They gave him "token" data, never mentioning the need to check our usage.  We have since learned that we had that 20 days of daily reset data.  And that means we used up 10 GB of data in less than 10 days! I spoke with two different tech support people yesterday, and began limiting our use of the internet and monitoring data usage.  The result: we used 1 GB of data in ONE DAY.  Spoke to someone else today, who added 5 GB additional monthly data for free for one year.  Nice.  Even limiting our data usage, we will be out of data in 2 weeks, and that is without streaming any videos.  I feel like the sales reps lied to me.  I want out of my contract, WITHOUT paying termination fees.  By resetting data for 20 days in the first month, it deceives you into thinking you have signed up for sufficient data.  My previous provider was slow; but at least it was unlimited!  My case numbers for my conversations over the last two days are:  100631573, 100634889, and 100645131.  As others have done, I am asking for my sales calls to be reviewed, because I feel that I was lied to.  And I HATE to be lied to!
64 REPLIES 64
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Re: Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

rdlatcsch, Facebook is a data hog, you must turn off automatic video playing in your account settings. Also install ad blockers on all browsers. You really shouldn't be using that much data doing the things you say.

It is a metered service, you should check usage at least daily.
Highlighted

Re: Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

I did turn off automatic video playing on FB.  And I have ad blockers installed.  And I do know to check data daily, now.  Thanks for your input.
Highlighted

Hughes Net is a rip off!!! It's too bad people have no choices available for them. I'm in the same situation, for now. I'm moving tho a different location that offers much better choices. I told them that their services will no longer be needed.
Highlighted

I may be way off base here..but in this day in age, what with 'google' at our fingertips..how on earth can ANYONE claim that they didn't know what it was that they were 'buying' or signing up for?

I'm what some younger folks may refer to as being OLD SCHOOL...but you better believe, whenever I buy something, I get online and GOOGLE up all the information I can find on that product PRIOR to signing my name on the dotted line.
To make such claims as "I didn't know" or "I wasn't told"...lets just be honest here. We ain't in grade school no more. Customers..let me repeat that...CUSTOMERS (you and me) need to be assuming some, if not all, of the responsibility in conducting our due diligence before jumping into a contract or purchase.
Just because someone, especially the representative who is trying to sell you the product, TELLS you that 10GB is 'plenty' ...you, as the customer, should of verified this information for yourself before agreeing to the terms and signing on that dotted line.

No one emphasized that we needed to check our usage daily.
Let me ask you, When you bought your first car..did the sales reps at the dealership emphasis that you needed to monitor your gas gauge? I'm sure he didn't...
So let me ask you this...if you run out of gas and end up getting stranded on the side of the freeway...who's fault is it? Yours? or the dealerships?

Spoke to someone else today, who added 5 GB additional monthly data for free for one year.  Nice.
This was an extremely nice gesture on the part of HughesNet, so again, I have to ask..what's the problem?

Seems to me that you are simply having 2nd thoughts now about signing this 2 year contract and hoping to jump on the bandwagon (it's an old school term) like some of the other customers who also failed to conduct their own due diligence so you too can get out of having to pay the early termination fees.

Yeah, it's a hard lesson to learn, but one that we have all had to learn at some point in our lives.
Highlighted

Seriously? You give me a lecture as if I am a child and haven't been around the block a few times?  Let's keep this civil, shall we?  I DID google it.  I DID try to check with my former internet provider; they were unable to tell me how much data I used monthly because it was an unlimited plan!
You should know yourself that when you try something you have never tried before, there is a learning curve.  If I could have accessed THIS Hughes Net stream, I would never had signed up, after seeing so many disgruntled customers.  So I am obviously not the first with this problem, and I am certain I won't be the last!
And what ever happened that OLD SCHOOL deal where the customer is always right???
Your analogy to buying a car is way off base; I had ridden in and driven MANY cars before I owned one myself, so I KNEW to watch the gas gauge.  This ain't a car!  And I had never "driven" an internet service provider who limited data usage!
Highlighted

oh believe me..my reply to you WAS me being 'civil'.

and yes, your right about one thing,
you are NOT the first customer who, after signing a 2 year contract, is now having second thoughts....even knowing full well they had a full 30 DAYS, and only 30 days to cancel before said contract went into effect....and you will NOT be the last.

Unfortunately for you, your a few days too late in cancelling your service and just like the majority of those other disgruntled customers, your ticked off because now your gonna have to pay the early termination fees that YOU agreed to pay if you should decide to cancel before the end of your contract...

p.s the OLD SCHOOL deal, where the customer was always right, well, I hate to be the one to tell you this but that ended right around 1998 with the invention of GOOGLE.
Highlighted
Associate Professor

10GB of data over 30 days is about 333.33MB/day, that's download and upload, split between two people it's a very small chunk of data and can be used VERY fast, especially if you are just browsing facebook... Take note of all the facebook activity such as fbcdn.net, facebook.com in the below screen shot.  That user is my 65 year old mother who does very little aside from browse yardsale groups on facebook, but used 196.7MB of data. No, that usage isn't according to Hughesnet, that usage is according to my own router.

In reality, everyone uses more data than they think, welcome to the rural life I guess you could say?  Never give up an unlimited plan for a limited one, you will find there are far more restrictions than you would like.
Highlighted

My mama always said, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So I will not reply to any more of your posts.  Please leave me alone and let me wait for Hughes Net to respond to my complaint.
Highlighted

How do you get your router to give you that list of information?