cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

Highlighted
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

Complaining about having to wait for a FREE router?  Wow.  That says a lot. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted

Re: Monthly allotment of 10 GB of data used up in 3 days during our second month of service!

Hi rdlatcsch,

Thank you for your patience as we had your call reviewed. Here are the results.
After reviewing the call, thecustomer does state that they would be using Netflix with the service. The agent responds with the streaming disclosure, including that the servicecomes with 10 GB of data and would slow down once the allowance wasreached.  The agent also discloses the data allowance, including bonusbytes, during the pitch of the service to which the customer does not ask forfurther details about. The agent reads all terms and conditions in regards tothe data allowance, and the customer does not ask any questions in regards tothe fair access policy.

The review doesn't show anything out of the ordinary for a standard sales call.

Regarding your concerns about the 20 days of relaxed bandwidth, could you please forward your welcome/order confirmation e-mail to us here at communitysupport@hughes.com?

Thank you,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Highlighted

If that is a standard sales pitch, and I don't doubt that it is, I still don't believe it is a fair pitch.  Since I DID mention a possible use of Netflix, the sales rep should have let me know how quickly that 10 GB of anytime data would be reached.  I seriously doubt I could download even one Netflix movie with the 10 GB of anytime data. As for not asking any questions; that would be because I have never used a limited data plan before, and didn't know the right questions to ask.  I have learned my lesson.  I still would like a way out of this contact, without the ridiculous early termination fees you charge.  
As for the 20 days of relaxed bandwidth, I did reread that welcome/order confirmation email.  And although the email mentions those 20 days, it doesn't stress the need to check my data usage.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Have to stream Netflix in standard or low definition because HD will eat your lunch data wise. Even then, with 10 GB of Anytime data you can do maybe 20-25 hours a month depending what other things you are doing on the internet. If you do nothing else pretty much other than stream Netflix you should get around 30-33 hours of streaming.

It is simple math really, Netflix has the data usage posted per definition, then divide 10 GB (10 with nine zeros) by the amount the definition consumes per hour. Like 300 MB which is 300 with six zeros.

Here is how you set Netflix definition:  https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
Highlighted

rdlatsch,

With regard to Netflix and the rep telling how long 10GB will last, they can't.  There are too many factors involved, including the definition things are streamed in, what else may be using the data at the same time or even at other times, and I'm sure other things that I can't think of right now.  There's just too many possibilities to give a concrete "This is when you will run out" answer, so they don't.  

But, for your reference, HD normally streams at around 3GB per hour, SD around 700MB per hour and LD at around 300MB per hour.  But, again, your system is going to be using data for more than streaming, so this only applies to the streaming itself, and those amounts are approximate, not set in stone. 

Ryzen 5 3400G | MSI B450M Pro-M2 MAX | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 | XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB NVMe | Windows 10 Pro
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

Need to add low definition looks fine on my 55" TV, starts out a bit ugly but clears up in a minute or two. No idea why that is.
Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

"Since I DID mention a possible use of Netflix, the sales rep should have let me know how quickly that 10 GB of anytime data would be reached."

Ouch ! this is tough one.
Video streaming is a very data intensive activity. Just how intensive is a function of what your "resolution" settings are and the length (read as file size) of the video.
A full length movie could be 2 hrs in length or 3 hrs +
If viewed in HD this will burn massive amounts of data per hour. A good deal less if viewed in SD or lower.
Yes, you can watch Netflix on Hughesnet ... but like everything else on a measure "capped" service it needs to be done in moderation.
Not everyones usage habits are the same. Not  everyone has the same "connected equipment" load.
Some have a priority in one direction, others totally different.
I have for example the 50/50 Ultra plan .... but seldom use even 2 GB in a month.

There simply are too many variables to relate in a short sales call and it would be difficult to determine the level of users understanding of computers, operating systems, networking and software load on  ... how many connected devices ?

In the end a user chooses a plan that is based primarily on the size of the data package they choose.... 1 "gallon" 2 "gallons" 50 "gallons".

It is a measure amount. As to determing the "rate of data burn" Hughes does supply three different usage meters and three different "usage HISTORY" displays.

The type of activity you engage in will make a a difference between getting "3 miles per gallon" and getting "20 miles per gallon.

It is no secret that the plans have data limits. It really is incumbent on the user to measure and control if need be the rate of usage and the tools are there to do it.

Highlighted
Assistant Professor

It seems many can't grasp the fact that data is like gasoline and mileage varies depending what is being done. City driving generally uses more than highway.

This calculator sometimes helps people at least grasp the idea: http://www.cableone.net/Docs/datacalculator.html
Highlighted

Plus, the reps can't give a finite answer as to how long it will last because then they could be held accountable when it doesn't, even when something completely unrelated actually uses the data. 

Highlighted
Honorary Alumnus

There it is Gabe. How many users grasp the concept of "background processes" ?
How many casual users know what BITS is ?
A user could be watching a movie, and that is going to take data, and an unseen, unknown process is "eating their cheese" like mad and as an added benefit is causing the video playback to buffer like its going out of style.