cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington

JA
Freshman

More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington

I am in NW Washington and a new Gen 5 customer. I am having the same issues with speed as others. I have not been able to stream video reliably and the speed is not testing at nearly what was promised by Hughes. Is Hughes misrepresenting Gen 5 service? Too many users at one time? Is this a technical issue that may be resolved in the future? Download speed is testing at myspeed.net is regularly in the 1.5 mbps range using wifi within six feet of the modum. I have no LAN port on my computer to do the tests.

21 REPLIES 21
JA
Freshman

Re: More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington

Spoiler
Here is my results from testmy net today.
https://testmy.net/stats/?&t=u&d=12292017&x=1&l=25&q=JAS2929
Highlighted
Freshman

Re: More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington

Same. New customer. Same experiene here as everyone else. No usable internet. Just long Tech Support phone calls. Turns out that we're paying quite a lot to spend our time talking to them on the phone. 

New Poster

Re: When Space Dust Gets In Your Eyes!

  • For about six weeks now, something appears to be rotten in outer space
  • Gen 5 dialup speeds are the norm in multiple locations.
  • Tech support is currently featuring the latest and greatest in apology technology.
  • An advanced tech representative recently admitted that some spot beams are over-booked.
  • My case is currently under a “two week” time frame fix . . . hmmmm.
  • It appears that “Engineers” don’t know how to increase bandwidth to lame spot beams.
  • Hughes Gen5 satellite technology has been mentioned in widely publicized Viasat legal claims, worth millions of dollars, involving the alleged use of Viasat satellite patents in developing Gen5 functionality—maybe the Hughes “engineers” didn’t receive their operating manuals?
  • Why the strong impression that the left hand doesn’t know what the right hand is doing? Why the secrecy?
  • Is space dust in getting in their eyes?
Distinguished Professor IV

Re: When Space Dust Gets In Your Eyes!

@partenr

@mastermarks

 

Please refrain from hijacking people's support request threads with your complaints and/or rants.  If you would like support, which is the purpose of this community, please create your own post requesting such.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sophomore

Re: More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington


@JA wrote:

I am in NW Washington and a new Gen 5 customer. I am having the same issues with speed as others. I have not been able to stream video reliably and the speed is not testing at nearly what was promised by Hughes. Is Hughes misrepresenting Gen 5 service? Too many users at one time? Is this a technical issue that may be resolved in the future? Download speed is testing at myspeed.net is regularly in the 1.5 mbps range using wifi within six feet of the modum. I have no LAN port on my computer to do the tests.

 

Do a search for Federal Communications Commission complaints and fill out the form for internet complaints and let HN get back to you.

 

Wayne


 

Professor

Re: More slow download speeds on Gen 5 in NW Washington

Wayne, users making the complaint through the government agency should be aware that the response time is 30 days (the company will respond 30 days after getting the complaint from the government agency) -- if we post here, response times (and results) are much faster.  The user will not get help here if they have initiated a transaction with the company using the government agency, so they will have to wait the 30 days.  

JA
Freshman

Re: When Space Dust Gets In Your Eyes!


@GabeU wrote:

@partenr

@mastermarks

 

Please refrain from hijacking people's support request threads with your complaints and/or rants.  If you would like support, which is the purpose of this community, please create your own post requesting such.  


Gabe, I appreciate ALL the responses to my query, even the rants. This is a disscussion board. I do however want to get to the crux of the issue, that is, what may I expect with regards to performance going forward. I wasnt aware the discussion boards were tech support driven, are you offering tech support here? I would most surely like to have a chat with tech support. My speeds on Gen 5 are not as advertised.

Distinguished Professor IV

Re: When Space Dust Gets In Your Eyes!


@JA wrote:


Gabe, I appreciate ALL the responses to my query, even the rants. This is a disscussion board. I do however want to get to the crux of the issue, that is, what may I expect with regards to performance going forward. I wasnt aware the discussion boards were tech support driven, are you offering tech support here? I would most surely like to have a chat with tech support. My speeds on Gen 5 are not as advertised.


This Tech Support section of the Support Community is tech support driven, though sometimes posts can be missed.  

 

You mentioned speed tests on testmy.net.  If you know how, please post your results URL from testmy.net so your test results can be viewed.  


AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
JA
Freshman

Re: When Space Dust Gets In Your Eyes!

I posted results here last week and will do another batch soon.

Satellite NameEchoStar-19-NADGateway ID9Beam ID4Outroute ID2