Multiple Issues, buffering and blurry videos

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Plangd
New Poster

Multiple Issues, buffering and blurry videos

I currently have an older hughesnet system, Gen 4, but I rarely use it for streaming. I monitor my data and can do a good bit of downloading in the off hours, from Netflix or Amazon Prime, then watch on my ipad.  We will be moving into a newly built house in a week or so and had a Gen 5 system installed about a month ago.

I thought I would be able to do occasional streaming to a new TCL Roku tv and some downloading to my ipad to then cast to the tv. My hope was that I could manage my data with this combination.  But I am having problems even before getting into the casting.  I can’t get a decent picture that isn’t blurry or runs without constant buffering.  

I have existing subscriptions to Netflix, Amazon Prime, a 30 day free Sling account, and a 30 day free YouTube tv account, and the built in Roku on the tv.  YouTube tv is terribly blurry but it doesn’t have the buffering problem.  I tried a basketball game on Sling with Video Saver snoozed and it’s a great picture but I get the game for maybe 15 seconds then variable amounts of buffering, repeated over and over.  Really impossible to watch.  Netflix and Amazon Prime are decent.

I have been reading threads and trying to sort out where to start problem solving.  I am not attempting to stream the best quality video.  In most cases it is the “good” quality or standard.  I have done speed tests and have a variation from 12 - 25.  I have tried with the video saver feature running and snoozed.  I just can’t seem to get a combination of decent picture that runs continuously.

Long intro but first, is my plan realistic?   Perhaps I should just get Dish TV in there for most viewing and forget about streaming.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
MarkJFine
Professor

Rather than repeat what is an excellent thread, recommend you read the following:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/General-Discussion/internet-and-direct-tv/td-p/110472/jump-to/fir...

In short, as many here have already found out, using satellite internet as a drop-in replacement for TV is not recommended.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

View solution in original post

"I can’t get a decent picture that isn’t blurry or runs without constant buffering."

I've experienced buffering, but never a blurry picture.

"Perhaps I should just get Dish TV in there for most viewing and forget about streaming."

Sounds like a good plan to me! 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarkJFine
Professor

Rather than repeat what is an excellent thread, recommend you read the following:

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/General-Discussion/internet-and-direct-tv/td-p/110472/jump-to/fir...

In short, as many here have already found out, using satellite internet as a drop-in replacement for TV is not recommended.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Thanks for your response, Mark.  So I’ll get Dish or Direct TV as my main viewing, but isn’t there a solution for the buffering and blurry picture?  It would be nice to watch an occasional HD streamed movie. 

There are a few things you can try, such as changing the Video Saver setting. Turning it on attempts to limit you to lower resolutions on some services in order to keep data consumption low. Just know that turning it off if attempting to watch an HD stream will eat a lot more data, and may buffer a lot more often and for longer periods. Also know that a lot of this has to do with latency and not download speed because of the real time handshaking required.

"I can’t get a decent picture that isn’t blurry or runs without constant buffering."

I've experienced buffering, but never a blurry picture.

"Perhaps I should just get Dish TV in there for most viewing and forget about streaming."

Sounds like a good plan to me!