Hughesnet Community

Multiple Problems (slow speed) (data running out fast)

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AGamer
Freshman

Multiple Problems (slow speed) (data running out fast)

We have been using Hughes net for awhile now, it was great at first. Then suddenly problems popped up. Our number one problem even though we have tested our speed on the Hughes net test thing and always get good results, but when testing on other testing sites it shows much different results! We get 5 MB’s Download when we are supposed to get 25! We don’t really care for upload speed because we really don’t use it. Number 2 problem is while ordering the internet we were lied too. The person we spoke too although very nice, said that 10 GBS is perfect for a family of 5 which is what we have. When we were having problems we went onto Hughes nets website only to find that 10GB is recommended for 1-2 PEOPLE!
WHAT! I was angry about this. In fact I still am! Now I play video games another thing I was lied to about was Hughes net had little to no lag on video games but yet on a clear sunny day I have immense amount of lag to the point I cannot play the game. I have called Hughes net again very nice people told me some things I can do to fix it reset my modem disconnect some devices make sure devices are all shut down when not using them I do all of this. No results! I thanked the people for there help and asked for a call back never got one. Another problem I had was we bought 200 dollar google WiFi pods which are supposed to increase the internet range but for someone reason they were using the data and not relaying it! So we got rid of those and called asking why this was happening to get no response on why but just to get rid of them so there goes $200. Wow. Last thing is a short thing I have Hughes bet data meter doesn’t work very well telling you what uses the data. But with out fail every time no matter if we are not using our internet or are it always runs out in the exact same pattern going down at a steady rate for the first day then suddenly it all drops down to 0 yet the bonus zone never does this which is strange. Anyway I’m not to techy with
The internet and I’m not always expecting 25 download but o would like at least it to be a steady 10. I know what I am supposed to be getting and it hasn’t been delivered yet. Phone support is unreliable so I thought I would try here. I have seen that you have shut down other threads for invalid reasons. They have clearly stated you ideas didn’t work yet you always end with “we have provided ideas” so we are shutting down this thread.
I would like this not to be one of those threads. And if I don’t respond instantly don’t be like “thread closed to inactivity”
Not trying to be rude just stating what I know will happen if I don’t say this people have lives they can’t respond instantly all the time.
So please fix this.
Ps I can’t even play the most basic games with Hughes net so I’d like a explanation.
Hope to hear back soon
-AGamer
24 REPLIES 24
MarkJFine
Professor

A few things:
1. The latency is definitely not sufficient to support real time gaming.

2. The speed is advertised as up to 25 mbps. That's a maximum. No one can guarantee minimum speed.

3 .The more things you hang off the modem, the more it slows down because the bandwidth is split across each thing.

4. Bonus zone is between 2am and 8am. If you're not using the network during that time you won't see a dent in it.

5. The admins don't arbitrarily shut down threads, only the ones where people go on a rant then decide not to respond to their response for a week or more. You have to be realistic, they are a valuable, limited resource and the open ended rants just waste their time.

Recommend you have your sales/service calls reviewed to see if you were in fact lied to, as you say. Tagging the admins so they see it, although please know they are only here M-F during normal business hours, Eastern Time.

@Amanda

@Liz

@Hal

@Jorge

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

I stated I know it’s not always gonna be 25 MB’s but I would like it to be at least 10. Thank you for your reply also so quickly. I’ll wait for the mods to respond.

I understand you'd like it to be 10, but you have to be realistic. Given the following:
1. Any high usage time period, especially on a gateway that services densely populated areas
2. The bandwith available for each gateway is such that it can get maxed out if only 40 people try to watch an HD movie at the same time.

3. Just to reiterate the fact that video is a resource high-demand activity that bogs down terrestrial systems with little to no latency: Imagine what it does with a system that has an approximate 525ms latency with literally thousands of people trying to watch just standard quality video on Netflix, Hulu, or via Firestick, only because they think it should be technically possible. The system basically just sits there processing quality pings instead of delivering actual data.

4. Add to this all the people who have smart homes with security cameras that likewise eat away a ton of bandwith.

I maintain the shortfalls of the system are not what it's capable of, which with a small population is possible. It's more what everyone is trying to use it for (at the same time) that's the problem, because it affects everyone else using the same gateway. This is why you might not be able to see 10mbps between 8pm and 10pm at night (worst case time period).

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Good points, Mark.   I also would like to add that even regular cable suffers slowdowns, sometimes significant, during times when everyone in the area's using the system.   I sympathize with the OP, though, as having low speeds, coupled with the latency inherent to satellite, can be quite frustrating, even for those of us who do not use the system to game or stream but need to download a few court opinions, or those tedious Windows updates.  The latency won't go away, at least not soon, so we can only hope that there will be improvements to increase capacity so the system can tolerate the demand a little better. 

I was just hoping that someone could maybe help out or notify someone about my numerous problems cause when I get on phone support it does nothing! I love that I’m getting good information. But this isn’t really helping the case of my other problems though I do appreciate the explanation on why my internet isn’t always highspeed I would like to know about why I was told 10 gb was fine for a family of 4-5, and why my data always runs out in the same pattern is here a leakage cause I have notified everyone in the house to always fully shut down there devices!
maratsade

@AGamer, I'll tag a couple of Hughesnet reps for you.   They are likely gone for the weekend and will be back on Monday around 9 am.  They may take a while to get to your post, so please give them some time, as there may be other people ahead of you.

@Amanda@Liz

**I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.**

GabeU

@AGamer

How much data will be enough for a given household is an educated guess.  Granted, I find it a bit surprising that you were told that the 10GB plan would be sufficient for five people, but, in reality, it could be, while the 50GB plan might not be enough for two people.  It all depends on what each person uses the net for and how often they use it.  Again, it's only an educated guess, but 10Gb for a family of five is definitely surprising.  

Regarding your data being used up, there are many things that can use data without people being aware of it.  Device updates, console downloads, satellite TV receivers chewing through data (if connected to HughesNet), Windows 10 sharing updates with others on the net, smart devices, etc.  Many things can use a lot of data.  Each and every connected device should be researched about data usage and adjusted to use as little data as possible, especially on its own.  

The following to posts may help with the data usage issues...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/HughesNet-Data-Management-Tips-n-Tricks-How-To-Elimi...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Understanding-data-usage-data-loss-and-connection-pa...

One of the things that may help with steaming videos and such is turning off, or pausing, the Video Data Saver.  The drawback to this, though, is that while it may help, it may also cause you to use even more data when streaming, and when you already have so little it could be even more of a problem than it's worth.  Better video, but the data's gone even quicker.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, regarding your speed issues, the following is the protocol for the speed tests, the results of which the reps will need in order to be able to help with such.  BUT, these speed tests should ONLY be run when you have data available, not when you are out of it.  And by data I mean Service Plan/Anytime data, not Bonus Zone/Bonus Bytes data.  The tests should be run at various times of the day, if possible, and Bonus Zone/Bonus Bytes data only works from 2AM to 8AM, so you have to have Service Plan/Anytime data available.  Again, don't run these tests unless you have Service Plan/Anytime data available. 

Edit:  You can run the tests when you have Token data available, as well, but please don't go buying Tokens just to run the tests, nor should you use your Token data for such if you already have some.  The reps sometimes give Token data to people so that they can run the speed tests, but I usually only see that when there is a significant speed issue.  

Here's the protocol....

To help the HughesNet Customer Service Reps get a head start on your speed concerns, please create a testmy.net account (if you do not already have one) and, while signed into that account, perform 3-5 tests during different parts of the day, then share the account results link with us here.

Most important points to remember during this test:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem with a LAN cable (NO third party Router or Wireless devices can be used)
-disable the WiFi while the speed tests are being performed
-use the manual 25MB size download test file 

-If testing upload instead of download, please use the manual 4MB size upload test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your testmy results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/yourusername

For a more in depth guide on running the tests, please visit: http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

The Reps are on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM Eastern. They will be the ones to address your speed issues, but they will need these tests to do so.

If you are unaware of how to disable the WiFi in the HT2000W, please see "How do I manage my built in WiFi modem?" in this PDF.  Please be sure to click "Save Settings" after unchecking "SSID Enable" for each of the four tabs individually (2.4Ghz, then 2.4Ghz Guest, then 5Ghz, then 5Ghz Guest).    

I very much appreciate your help. I am not currently at my house where I use Hughes net. I will try to get those results to you as soon as I can! Regarding the whole 10GB thing not trying to be rude towards Hughes net or anything, but we told the man very clearly that we were heavy internet users I also was surprised when he said we only needed 10 GB. We thought about upgrading but we decided to just wait the contract out. Again no offense to Hughes net, but it isn’t right for us we use a lot of data. I am just trying to improve stuff for the family for the rest of the duration of contract. Also regarding the speeds I did talk to someone about that now they said we were testing good on there side so they had on do some load picture tests, and it was obvious we were not getting the results they were. We were gonna get a call back. It never really happened. But anyway thanks for the help I hope we continue this thread to further help the problems we have. Also if you can explain to me why our data always runs out in a pattern according to you usage meter. That would be helpful thanks again.
GabeU

@AGamer wrote:
Also if you can explain to me why our data always runs out in a pattern according to you usage meter. That would be helpful thanks again.

I have absolutely no clue.  

What devices do you have connected to HughesNet?  When you're home, you can see on the following page, just in case there is something connected that you're not aware of or not remembering....

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

Perhaps a device is downloading updates on a given day each month.  Windows updates are often released on the second, and sometimes fourth, Tuesday of each month (Patch Tuesday).  It could be any of a number of the things.  You may be able to find the culprit by process of elimination (i.e. removing each device one by one, or removing all and adding them back in one by one).  

And, though I'm not positive of this, I believe you can upgrade to a larger plan without it affecting your original contract expiration date.  A rep would have to verify this, though.  @Liz @Amanda

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend. Kind of no different than budgeting money for the household, and has to be closely monitored especially with children in the house. Just how it is on a limited service.

You should be able to do browsing and maybe some low definition video streaming when over monthly allowance but it all depends on your beam/gateway loading and how many devices are connected. Honestly, when over allowance (in FAP mode) only one device should be connected/used at a time if wanting the best performance.

If you have a 10GB Anytime plan then you can average only about 323MB per day for use.

maratsade

"On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend."

That's exactly what I do.  Works very well for my household.

GabeU

@maratsade wrote:

"On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend."

That's exactly what I do.  Works very well for my household.

I rarely actively try to use less on some days to "save up" for a particular day or time, though I have done this a couple of times when I've known that there was a sizable Windows update coming or I needed to download something else that's quite large.  

And though I'm sure it will happen one of these days, I've been pretty lucky in never having run out of data since upgrading from my legacy plan in Feb 2016.  With that I used to go over daily allotment quite often, and the free monthly token came in very handy.  I also used to have to upgrade my folks Windows 8.1 laptop due to them still having dialup until August 2016, when they finally got HughesNet.  When I couldn't wait up and update it during the download zone I would exhaust my daily allotment almost every time.  Part of the reason is that they'd forget to pay attention to when it notified them about needing updates (they'd miss the icon in the taskbar), and I'd forget about it, so the updates would be done, on average, about every two months, which meant they were sizable by the time I got the laptop.  

And to think that the reason I waited so long to upgrade to Gen4 (then Gen5) was that I was worried about not being able to download as much as I theoretically could with my legacy plan during a month's time for around the same price.  Of course, it was an unfounded worry, as who exhausted their daily refill amount every day AND used the download zone, full out, every night, every month?  Certainly not me!  😛 

maratsade

I don't save up on purpose, but I calculate how much I can use per day (about 1.6 GB), and check the meter to make sure I stay well within that cap.  I use less than that per day, so I quickly have a "surplus" that can be used to deal with Windows updates or to stream.   It's worked very well.  I don't think I was ever in FAP under Gen 4, and never under Gen 5.  Before Gen 4 I was in FAP a few times.  Now I also have a lot of tokens banked in case I use up all my data. 

@maratsade wrote:

I don't save up on purpose, but I calculate how much I can use per day (about 1.6 GB), and check the meter to make sure I stay well within that cap.  I use less than that per day, so I quickly have a "surplus" that can be used to deal with Windows updates or to stream.

Also known as, "managing to a budget".

maratsade

I should mention I have some Scots ancestry -- may be why budgeting comes easy to me.  LOL

@MarkJFine wrote:

Also known as, "managing to a budget".

I have a five person family. We have two people online most of the time. One watching low definition slow videos 140p cause Hughes net can’t handle anything else. And another one playing a low quality computer game known as roblox. I never get any speeds over 15 it is usually between 5-7 now I understand the fact that everyone keeps repeating in these threads is that “You have to be realistic” if ten is is not realistic. What is. When does this get to the point where you guys lower my expectations so much that I’m just done. If this is what you think realism is I have a local company that cost a lot but can provide consistent service through satellite! Why can not huge company Hughes net?
maratsade

I don't think anyone is trying to get you to go.  That'd be your choice, and if you have a company around that you think does a better job, you are certainly entitled to go with them. I think what people are trying to tell you is that it is what it is.  The company does improve (I have seen them improve a great deal over the 10+ years I've been a customer), and they do so constantly.   Are they perfect? No, but no ISP is.  No corporation is. 

Maybe the grass seems greener to you from where you are, but it is likely that another ISP would come with flaws too.  Ultimately, the choice is yours, as you are the consumer.  If the other ISP provides what you need to support your gaming and your streaming, it may be worth it to pay more. 

**I am not a Hughesnet employee or representative. This is a customer-to-customer tech support community, and I am a customer.**

The problem with the company near by is that since it is local it cost double what you Hughes net prices are.

AGamer, it's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can better assist you.

I agree with you totally. The sales reos should be realistic and tell people the deal. If atleast getting 10 mbps isnt realistic speeds and most likely will never see that from hughesnet, that should be something people are informed of before getting into a 2 yr contract. I've not gotten 4 mbps upload speeds since I've had this service.