cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Problems (slow speed) (data running out fast)

Freshman

Re: Multiple Problems (slow speed) (data running out fast)

I very much appreciate your help. I am not currently at my house where I use Hughes net. I will try to get those results to you as soon as I can! Regarding the whole 10GB thing not trying to be rude towards Hughes net or anything, but we told the man very clearly that we were heavy internet users I also was surprised when he said we only needed 10 GB. We thought about upgrading but we decided to just wait the contract out. Again no offense to Hughes net, but it isn’t right for us we use a lot of data. I am just trying to improve stuff for the family for the rest of the duration of contract. Also regarding the speeds I did talk to someone about that now they said we were testing good on there side so they had on do some load picture tests, and it was obvious we were not getting the results they were. We were gonna get a call back. It never really happened. But anyway thanks for the help I hope we continue this thread to further help the problems we have. Also if you can explain to me why our data always runs out in a pattern according to you usage meter. That would be helpful thanks again.
Freshman

The problem with the company near by is that since it is local it cost double what you Hughes net prices are.
Distinguished Professor III

@AGamer wrote:
Also if you can explain to me why our data always runs out in a pattern according to you usage meter. That would be helpful thanks again.

I have absolutely no clue.  

What devices do you have connected to HughesNet?  When you're home, you can see on the following page, just in case there is something connected that you're not aware of or not remembering....

http://192.168.0.1/limited.html#!/general/conn_dev_info

Perhaps a device is downloading updates on a given day each month.  Windows updates are often released on the second, and sometimes fourth, Tuesday of each month (Patch Tuesday).  It could be any of a number of the things.  You may be able to find the culprit by process of elimination (i.e. removing each device one by one, or removing all and adding them back in one by one).  

And, though I'm not positive of this, I believe you can upgrade to a larger plan without it affecting your original contract expiration date.  A rep would have to verify this, though.  @Liz @Amanda

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Assistant Professor

On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend. Kind of no different than budgeting money for the household, and has to be closely monitored especially with children in the house. Just how it is on a limited service.

You should be able to do browsing and maybe some low definition video streaming when over monthly allowance but it all depends on your beam/gateway loading and how many devices are connected. Honestly, when over allowance (in FAP mode) only one device should be connected/used at a time if wanting the best performance.

If you have a 10GB Anytime plan then you can average only about 323MB per day for use.

Highlighted
Professor

"On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend."

That's exactly what I do.  Works very well for my household.

Distinguished Professor III

@maratsade wrote:

"On a 50GB Anytime plan I must average 1.6GB use per day in a 31 day month. Of course if I use less I can use more some other day(s) like the weekend."

That's exactly what I do.  Works very well for my household.

I rarely actively try to use less on some days to "save up" for a particular day or time, though I have done this a couple of times when I've known that there was a sizable Windows update coming or I needed to download something else that's quite large.  

And though I'm sure it will happen one of these days, I've been pretty lucky in never having run out of data since upgrading from my legacy plan in Feb 2016.  With that I used to go over daily allotment quite often, and the free monthly token came in very handy.  I also used to have to upgrade my folks Windows 8.1 laptop due to them still having dialup until August 2016, when they finally got HughesNet.  When I couldn't wait up and update it during the download zone I would exhaust my daily allotment almost every time.  Part of the reason is that they'd forget to pay attention to when it notified them about needing updates (they'd miss the icon in the taskbar), and I'd forget about it, so the updates would be done, on average, about every two months, which meant they were sizable by the time I got the laptop.  

And to think that the reason I waited so long to upgrade to Gen4 (then Gen5) was that I was worried about not being able to download as much as I theoretically could with my legacy plan during a month's time for around the same price.  Of course, it was an unfounded worry, as who exhausted their daily refill amount every day AND used the download zone, full out, every night, every month?  Certainly not me!  Smiley Tongue 

AMD FX-6100 | Samsung 250GB 840 EVO SSD | Western Digital Blue 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR3-1866 | EVGA Geforce GTX 550ti | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Professor

I don't save up on purpose, but I calculate how much I can use per day (about 1.6 GB), and check the meter to make sure I stay well within that cap.  I use less than that per day, so I quickly have a "surplus" that can be used to deal with Windows updates or to stream.   It's worked very well.  I don't think I was ever in FAP under Gen 4, and never under Gen 5.  Before Gen 4 I was in FAP a few times.  Now I also have a lot of tokens banked in case I use up all my data. 

Assistant Professor

@maratsade wrote:

I don't save up on purpose, but I calculate how much I can use per day (about 1.6 GB), and check the meter to make sure I stay well within that cap.  I use less than that per day, so I quickly have a "surplus" that can be used to deal with Windows updates or to stream.

Also known as, "managing to a budget".

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
Professor

I should mention I have some Scots ancestry -- may be why budgeting comes easy to me.  LOL

@MarkJFine wrote:

Also known as, "managing to a budget".

Sophomore

Im having the same problem. Actually on speed test today my upload and download speeds are UNDER 1 mbps. Ive not been hooked up even a month. I have the 20 gb package. I told the rep whem i hooked up that we were gamers and specifically asked repeated times if it would run fast enough and was told yes, i wouldn't experience lagging until close to data cap. I've not been able to game once without bein booted off for extremely slow speeds. I called several times. Last call the rep ran a test and my upload speed was at 1 mbps. I was told i would receive a call from a service engineer to resolvr the problem in two days. Still no call. Streaming tv has even been a nightmare. With 1 mbps download and less than that upload speed. Not even been 20 days so my data hasnt even had a cap. If it was an option i would post the screenshot of my speed test. Really been dissapointing. I was even tokd one time that hughhesnet doesnt reccommend live gaming🤔 why wasnt i told that whwn i called for hookup? Or when the technician came and hooked it up? Really hope this is resolved.