Multiple sites have smtp.hughes.net listed as a spam generator

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LGriffin
Sophomore

Multiple sites have smtp.hughes.net listed as a spam generator

A few weeks ago email to my bank was returned as undeliverable. I checked the return delvery and found an entity that had checked my email and found that it had been blacklisted for spam. I then called customer service ranted on them that this need to fixed NOW. It even appeared to be fixed, unfortunately I have one particular gmail account that my email is being blocked. If I go to http://multirbl.valli.org/lookup/69.168.97.48.html I find that there are still multiple sites that have hughes.net listed as a spam generator.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Checked "The Anti Abuse Project", "DNSBL", "RBL Watcher" and "UltraTools".  All came back clear.  

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MarkJFine
Professor

I'm sorry your emails are all blocked, but I hope you realize these listings change on a day-to-day if not hour-to-hour basis. I just checked as smtp.hughes.net clears every RBL. https://bgp.he.net/ip/69.168.97.48#_rbl

Also, I hope you realize that the problem is not HughesNet generating spam, but customers with computers containing computer viruses, that came from clicking on spam emails... It's a massive problem that's out of control everywhere, not just HughesNet.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

@MarkJFine wrote:

I'm sorry your emails are all blocked, but I hope you realize these listings change on a day-to-day if not hour-to-hour basis. I just checked as smtp.hughes.net clears every RBL. https://bgp.he.net/ip/69.168.97.48#_rbl

Also, I hope you realize that the problem is not HughesNet generating spam, but customers with computers containing computer viruses, that came from clicking on spam emails... It's a massive problem that's out of control everywhere, not just HughesNet.

I'm well aware of the problem of malware and spam having worked as PC Tech or on the Helpdesk for many  years. It is a 24/7 problem to stay ahead. I was surprised at the number of sites that maintain blacklist of knownm problems with spam. The spam problem is not entirely malware it can also be attributed to how the mail server is setup. I looked at your link and then compared it to the link I provided which hasn't changed much since I posted. I would like to hope that you are using more than one site. Some sites will even check the mail server  setup when the IP is checked and notify of discrepancies. I'd be more than happy to try and find that site again. This is the first time in 25 years that I have had persistant problem with returned mail.

@LGriffin wrote:

I would like to hope that you are using more than one site.

Yup. Also checked it on MxToolbox, which was also 100% clear.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Checked "The Anti Abuse Project", "DNSBL", "RBL Watcher" and "UltraTools".  All came back clear.