My 1st FAP experience with Gen5

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
macsociety
Advanced Tutor

My 1st FAP experience with Gen5

Decided to gobble up some GBs so I could purposely experience FAP under Gen 5.  Only been on Gen 5 since late September and it has been a bumpy road... beam 55 maybe having issues and I have been affected by the late day doldrums on speed.

Anyway, with just a day or two left until my GBs get restored I am enjoying today being FAPped under Gen 5.  So far must say much better than my Gen 4 when I had it. 

Now the real test will be tonight, when the late day doldrums comes and speed gets dimished, if my FAP speeds will retain the 1Mbps+ or not.

So far during the day I am getting downloads of about 1 to 1.3Mbps.  Enough to watch low rez Netflix or Youtube.  Something I could never do with Gen 4.  So I am happy... so far.  This is one reason I came back to Hughes... was FAP speeds that were usable for basics.

So hoping today tests go well.  

How do the rest of you lot get for FAP speeds.  Is 1 to 1.3Mbps a normal #?  I had it in my head it would be more like 1.5 or above but 1.3 seems to hold well enough for low rez Netflix, which is cool!

Regards

TJ

9 REPLIES 9
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Really not surprised you can stream Netflix reliably on low def at that speed, is what it streams at even when not in FAP from from my experience. A good beam and gateway certainaly helps. More about a steady/clean data stream than anything else.

I am still Gen 4 so not much help with the Gen 5 experience. Can still stream well from Netflix on low def even in evening peak times most times. Hope you're still able to do it tonight.

Nice to hear about somone who can still do what they want even when in FAP mode.

C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Depending on time of day, I see anywhere from about 500Kbps (that's when I have been trying to do way too much for way too long it seems during peak hours) to about 3Mbps at the dead end of the night.

Unfortnately speeds have been cut in 1/2 and now speeds are too low to stream anything reliably...  ;-(

Fluctuating a bit.... 600K, 800K, and a 1.2Mbps.... but making things unstable since it is going below 1Mbps and then bounces up.

Guessing Beam 55 still has issues of diminished speeds affecting FAP speeds too and not only when non in FAP.

@Liz... do you know if beam 55 is still showing signs of issues and still being tweaked?

In FAP I am down in the 600K & 800K range now when I would gather it should be 1Mbps or above....

http://testmy.net/quickstats/macsociety

Regards

TJ

Hi TJ,

I'm not sure, but I definitely want to let engineering know that we're still getting complaints on beam 55, so I'm sending up the feedback I'm getting here.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Hi TJ,

Looks like beam 55 had an update on Oct 16. Either way, we're sending over your feedback to engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

@Liz wrote:

Hi TJ,

Looks like beam 55 had an update on Oct 16. Either way, we're sending over your feedback to engineering.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks @Liz.... overall service seams to be working mostly OK.  I still get periodic slowness but a reboot of my modem (hard reboot unplugging it) seems to fix the issue.  If that is the norm, I can live with that.

I just did not know what to expect when I was in Fap this late last week.  Getting some 600K to 800K speeds seamed slower than what others reported.  I was thinking 1.3 to 1.8 should be the norm during peak times but.... maybe that is not the case?

The slowness during Fap mostly came during that peak time that I used to get slow no matter when in fap or not so told me maybe there was still some hiccups.

But mostly.... I am getting decent service now and getting to know the service better.

So would I be correct during FAP I should be above 1Mbps most all the time?  And falling down to 600k ish should not happen all that often?

Just curious.

Thanks

TJ

Thanks TJ.

We don't guarantee speeds, and our Fair Access Policy states that reduced speeds may be reduced to as low as or lower than 1 Mbps.

@Liz wrote:

Thanks TJ.

We don't guarantee speeds, and our Fair Access Policy states that reduced speeds may be reduced to as low as or lower than 1 Mbps.

Yup, @Liz I had known that and read the FAP.  Have been a Hughes customer on and off since the early days, last on Gen 4 before coming back for Gen 5.

Knowing the norm though I figure is a fair question.  Not a guarantee but what folks should get most of the time.

Figure since 15Mbps appears to be the expected during peak-time speeds when 25Mbps was advertised, was assumming there was something similar Hughes likes to see those get during FAP, like 1.xx or 2.xx and that if it is always 600K when others get higher, is a good starting point to see if there are issues or not.

Since @C0RR0SIVE said he sometimes gets 500K during peak, then my 600K I got this last Friday must not be out of line then for what the real #s are.

Up until evening I was getting around 1.3Mbps during FAP so that was decent and I was happy about that.  Then when it dropped to 600K it seamed fairly slow for what I expected is all.

Thanks

TJ

macsociety
Advanced Tutor

Well 2nd time into FAP for me.  1st time was just 9 days in.  Installed adblockers on all my systems and treaded more lightly on anything YouTube or Netflix, and lasted 13 days this time.  LOL.

Funny thing is I find streaming Netflix and YouTube a better experience, when in FAP, of course early in morning before the late day slow-down happens.  Late afternoon into evening nothing really works as things are so slow when not in FAP but when FAP hits too, it is almost non working internet where speeds go down to 150K down and 12K up.  We will see what I get tonight.  Been about 3 weeks since last in FAP so maybe things have changed.

Weird when I am at 30Mbps I get buffering even when data saver is on or off with low resolution video but when I am in FAP, it all seems to be steady on low resolution video.  Go figure.

Once Hughes fixes the late day speed issues, I will jump up to the 30GB plan... maybe get 20 days of full speed and limp by 10 days on FAP.

We will see.

TJ