cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 7000 died, now they want $150 to get me a new modem

My 7000 died, now they want $150 to get me a new modem

I have been a Hughes customer for over 10 years.  I live rural, and until recently this was my only option.  Now, we have a cell tower, so that may be an option.  Last night, everything was fine.  This morning, no internet.  My modem (HN7000) showed only the power light, no other lights.  I tried power up/down, and everything else I could think of.  Left it alone (off) till this afternoon.  Called Customer Service.  3 HOURS, and 5 reps later, they told me I needed a new modem, and they would be happy to send me one for $150.  Really?  Going through recent problem threads, I find this.....
Hi catzmail,
Thank you for your post and welcome to the community! As Alan mentioned installing any of our systems is not something we advise doing yourself. Also HughesNet has offered almost all of our legacy users free upgrades with no service commitment so I am not sure what misinformation an agent may have given you. (from Chris)
So, I would prefer to stay a customer.  But I am not paying for a new modem, when a replacement HN9000 can be gotten for $30 on E-bay.  10 YEAR CUSTOMER, I would think (Hope) some consideration would be in order.  
BTW, I can't access any SAN type info, since the modem doesn't work.  
William Reed,  Sula, MT
*sent using my phone as a hot-spot*
13 REPLIES 13
Assistant Professor

Re: My 7000 died, now they want $150 to get me a new modem

William, you've gotten some honest replies from us other customers here already: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/can-i-upgrade-hn7000-to-hn9000-with-self-install?...

Do you expect a 30 year old car to perform like new? Kind of what you are asking with HN7000 satellite internet. I'm 11 year customer now and started with 7000 and completely skipped the 9000, switched to Gen4 quite some time ago.

They will upgrade you for free I do believe.
Junior

$70 per month, for 10 years.  $8400.  I don't think a working replacement modem is out of line.  
Assistant Professor

Well, guess we'll see the official reply. Guess I'm weird not expecting a free replacement for outdated, out of warranty equipment. Especially when an upgrade is free. Again, I'm weird. And as an 11 year customer with higher monthly cost, think I'm quite a bit above $8400.

Using satellite internet is still a choice in the end.

Hi sgoshe,

We actually don't replace these anymore.

Hello William H. Reed,

Thank you for creating your own post. We'd be glad to offer you something great to put you on a newer system. You've been with us a long time and we'd like to show our appreciation. We currently have an offering for you for a free hardware upgrade to our Spaceway system using Gen4 technology- you'd receive a new radio, modem and if your dish is in need of replacement, we'll throw that in too! Here's the service plans we offer on this satellite. You can reply here or send me an e-mail with what you would like to do (email is communitysupport@hughes.com)

click to zoom:

Thanks
Amanda
Honorary Alumnus

Will you still verify a used unit as "clean" and commission it as a replacement ?

Assistant Professor

Thanks Amanda, kinda figured you might not but he did say the telephone CSR told him they would. Really don't understand why someone would want to stay with the Ku system anymore what with the support for it going away.
Highlighted

@Gwalk - yes. we don't mind replacing them but we don't really stock them in the main house anymore. If someone really needs one, we have to have a local dealer provide AFAIK.

@sgoshe And I've already got the CSR's name to pass on for coaching! I don't know either, but some people don't mind it and well I guess if it ain't broke don't fix it! Smiley Happy
Assistant Professor

But his is broke.  Smiley Tongue