cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Gen5/JupiterII Install Experience

Highlighted
Teaching Assistant

My Gen5/JupiterII Install Experience

Someone deserves some kudos from Hughesnet, wasn't sure where else I could really post this... lol

Recieved my order confirmation for Gen5 Jupiter II and was assigned to "Warrior Technologies" or "AG Communications", they quickly contacted me and scheduled my install for 9AM to Noon.  Installer arrived at approximately 9:30AM and talked with me on where I wanted my new terminal, and where the new dish would be located.  I walked him to our wiring closet to show him where the modem would need to be located and explained where the cables needed to come in, gave him various options at that time.  We then went out and walked around the back and started trying to locate an ideal location for the Gen5 dish.  I already knew Jupiter II would be pointed in a very similar location as Spaceway3 and suggested one area but was weary of a tree growing.  He provided me with an image showing the LOS which easily clears the tree.  So we settled on the location and how to get the cable into the closet, the poor guy had to crawl through a crawl space that hasn't been opened in YEARS.

He quickly began the install, digging a much larger hole than what I am used to seeing, and did an excellent job of making sure the pole would not rotate or ever have issues, I did feel sorry for him as he had to carry three heavy bags of concrete mix a really long distance from the truck to the install location.  If the ground was dry I wouldn't have minded letting him drive his truck through the yard.

Made sure all connections recieved the proper weather proofing treatment, and all equipment was properly grounded to my satisfaction

He provided me with a print out of the HT2000W User Sheet which somewhat surprised me, then asked if I needed him to hook things up to the modem and stated he was hesitant due to my existing network configuration.  I can't blame him for being hesitant in regards to that, even I grow hesitant at times when it comes to reconfiguring that!

All in all, this was by far the best encounter I have had since my original HN9000 install many years ago, and I would love to see him get the proper pat on the back @Amanda and @Liz

So much cement!So much cement!

e3ccb24c1e4b8f36a1390afe5847c5e0

Ground block and groundingGround block and grounding

Ground termination - acceptable in this area.Ground termination - acceptable in this area.

Dish farm? Why not?Dish farm? Why not?
Why I don't blame him for being hesitant to finish hooking things up after getting the modem online and activated:
wiring closet prior to Gen5 installwiring closet prior to Gen5 install

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 3Ware 9650SE-12ML + BBU | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 10x WD RE 4TB disks in Raid10
  • Modem
9 REPLIES
Tutor

Re: My Gen5/JupiterII Install Experience

They should consider your place for becoming a new gateway. Smiley LOL

Seriously, nice install.

Advanced Tutor

A properly running system starts with a great install.

Looks like yours is good one. Grounding, weatherproofing, solid non-rotating pole mount, proper drip loops.

This is pretty sweet, C0RR0SIVE! Thank you for sharing your Gen 5 upgrade and installation with us! Katie already got a hold of this and will be presenting your experience and praise to the rest of management. Cat Very Happy

Thanks,
Liz

Freshman

My installer has no idea what he's doing. He's been here over 3 hours and I'm no closer to Gen 5 than I was yesterday. I already had Gen 4 so it should've been a quick easy install. He's changed modems and cables and the eye and still nothing.
Teaching Assistant

Your installer might want to call into his technical support line... Pretty sure they have someone they can call should they be running into issues.  

EDIT:  Did the installer ever get the system registered with the satellite?

Personal Machine: ECS B85H3-M | Intel i5 4460 | 16GB DDR3-1333 | eVGA 750Ti | Samsung 830 120GB
Server: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 | AMD FX8350 | 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC | Intel Quad Gigabit NIC | 3Ware 9650SE-12ML + BBU | 650w OCZ ZS PSU | eVGA LP 710 | 10x WD RE 4TB disks in Raid10
Freshman

Yes. He said he called another installer and was aiming too high. 

I have been a customer for over 8 years.  I have had 2 different upgrades.  I had another one scheduled for today between 11-2.  I took the afternoon off to be here for this.  Not only did they never show up, but after many calls to customers service, the only answer I get, is that the installer will call me when they can. Well they haven't called me all day to tell me they weren't going to make it!!! This is NOT a premium service for the premium price I pay.  And for my lost wages on the day, and ZERO answers, HughesNet offers me a ONE DAY credit for my trouble......  No thank you.  I'm no longer under contract to you.  I will have Ecede installed.  Maybe they appreciate the valuable time their customers give up when they say they will be there!!!

Hello orion8281975,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry to hear what happened, that's certainly now how we want our long time customers to be treated. I've escalated your case to our installations department so we can try to expedite your site visit. I've also credited your account for a month of service for the trouble. Once I get an update from installations, I'll let you know the status of your site visit.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Hello orion8281975,

I received an update from our installations department and I'm glad to see that you were installed last Friday morning. If you have additional concerns, feel free to drop by the community again.

Thanks,
Liz