cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way for me to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance? For instance, if a renter is there for the first week of November, they would get 5GB of my 20 GB limit. If they use up that 5GB, no more data is allowed until there week is up.
14 REPLIES 14

Re: My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

Hi Don,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Unfortunately, there's no way we can accommodate for that specific request.

-Liz

Thanks,
Liz

Did my post answer your question? Accept as Solution to help others find it faster.--------------------------------->

Re: My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

though hughesnet may not be able to limit your weekly data allowance at the rental property there is plenty of software/hardware out there that can and will do just that... most after market routers will allow you to control things like data allowance check into the router you use and maybe you can do it through that. and go from there. just start with the router... what you're wanting is simple hughesnet just doesn't have the hardware/software to do it
Assistant Professor

If a rental property make sure everything is locked up, both physically and use guest accounts in the router for renters. Lock up both the modem and router.

and change it from the default pasword for the admin account

you'd be surprised how many people do not do that

Thanks, all!  Very helpful!
Associate Professor

Look into PFSense, runs on a small computer, and has tons of packages that allow for fun things, there are also guides on the PFSense forums for just about everything.
Assistant Professor

Don't think he's providing the computer to the renters plus doesn't it take one of their routers?
Associate Professor

You build the computer, and install it, it acts as a router/firewall, but you can install packages to manage many aspects of the network, and even have a local network cache (Think, web-acceleration that's local to your network instead of at the gateway level).  It's not something the tennants use, it's something you would lock up in the closet with the modem.  But, it takes a good bit of reading, and understanding of networking, and programming to take full advantage of it.

But, you can also buy a preloaded machine (bit overpriced to me) from them, and it's mostly plug and play.  But, setting an allowance quota would still require a good bit of reading.

My PFSense box sitting in the closet - has SQUID, a DNS Cache, Web Filter, network AV scanner, and a few other nice little tidbits all in one package.  Also does load-balancing between multiple online modems that I have available to me.  Wasn't cheap to build, but it's far, FAR more than what OP is wanting, so OP wouldn't have to drop this kind of cash.  He really just would need an old Pentium 4 machine with 2 or 4GB of RAM and two Intel NIC's.

Yes, it's just a regular computer, with PFSense installed, and a few server grade components for the extra goodies that I have running.  Most people will suffice with a low-end machine (you can actually run a 4-core ATOM board with 4GB of RAM and two Intel NIC's, with an 80GB HDD) and with proper research, have one of the most powerful routers they will ever need.  To be honest, there is no difference between todays top of the line routers, and a computer from 4-8 years ago.  Most routers are starting to ship with Quad-core processors even.

I really honesty do not know of ANY consumer grade router, even WITH aftermarket third party firmware that can cut off a computer or group of computers after they have used X amount of data... It's pretty much something that's only seen with SMB or higher end equipment, or... specialized systems like a PFSense box (which corporations do use because of the flexibility offered in it).

To be fairly honest, Jezra, and Jackson might have better ideas than PFSense when it comes to limiting how much data a network segment is allowed to use.
Assistant Professor

Interesting. I know consumer grade routers (mine) can limit the amount of time and hours of use, thought there was a way to limit the actual amount of data. Seems like it wouldn't be that hard to do with modified WRT firmware.

Oh well, hopefully he'll find way that isn't too complex or costly.