cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

Associate Professor

Re: My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

I think the issue comes down to processing power, as well as how accurate the data counting is.  For example, I have a NightHawk here, it's running firmware that's essentially the same as Merlin, but it's accuracy isn't that great, and the CPU usage spikes a good bit if there are too many streams of data going through it that it has to track usage for.  After about 6 months it's off by several GB in counted traffic (usually far under for some reason).

I think as more and more internet providers move to capped service plans, we will start seeing more consumer routers and third party developers consider adding in a way to terminate individual connections based upon usage.  As of right now, consumer grade routers either terminate ALL connections going through it once you hit the ceiling for the month, or they don't.  The Merlin software will break all connections for the time period specified (in my tests I can't even communicate from Wifi to wired LAN once the allowance cap is hit) once the allowance limit is hit.

Re: My Hughes Net service is installed at a rental property I own. Is there any way to limit renters to "X%" of the monthly usage allowance?

data caps are ridiculous
Associate Professor

Associate Professor

Associate Professor