My Internet is so slow and useless!!!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
laynhep978
Spectator

My Internet is so slow and useless!!!

I have had HughesNet for about 4 months now and it is the slowest internet service that I have ever had, My son can't even use his Xbox Live is anyone else having issue and if so can you please help me figure out how to get my service to ran faster. I am tried of throwing money away and what is the use of having internet that doesn't work. This is so annoying!!! I call Customer service and they mention that I have to buy tokens or something..I don't frigging know. I really wish I can go back to Comcast internet and pay one fee an month and have something that worked and not have to be told that I have to buy more token. this is ridiculous. 
21 REPLIES 21
Ricky
Tutor

If you switched from a land based Internet to HughesNet you have made a huge mistake.
Chris11
Alum

Hello laynhep978,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting! I can tell you are frustrated, hopefully I can help to clear up any confusion. First, were you explained our data caps? Each month you are allotted a set amount of anytime data and bonus data. Depending on your plan, anytime data ranges from 5 - 20 GB for most, all the way to 50 GB depending on your location. Everyone on Gen4 also gets 50 GB bonus data available to be used during 2 am - 8 am. 

If our agents are explaining that you need to buy tokens, it means you've run out of your anytime bytes. You most likely have bonus data left to use. The best way to monitor your usage, is to download the status meter. You can find it by going to this link http://my.hughesnet.com. There should be a box on the right, with Windows or Mac options when downloading. 

The second thing to take into account is the difference between satellite and ground based ISP's like Comcast. Satellites cannot be upgraded and expanded, which is why data caps are necessary. It does take some getting used to, but with help I am sure you can get the best out of your service. I do want to make sure you were properly informed on the service, so please provide us with some more info.

Thank you,
Chris
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Should also do some speed tests as outlined here so we can get an idea what speeds you are getting:  https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/cant-use-the-hughesnet-speedtest-guide-for-testmy...

If you are over your allowance for the month then speed will be quite slow until your refill date or you purchase tokens.

This page will also tell you a lot about your system and data usage status: http://192.168.0.1/
Mark1

HughesNet is garbage and we are moving on. I suggest you also move on.
Good Housekeepi

I have had HughesNet for about 4 months now and it is the slowest internet service that I have ever had, My son can't even use his Xbox Live is anyone else having issue and if so can you please help me figure out how to get my service to ran faster. I am tried of throwing money away and what is the use of having internet that doesn't work. This is so annoying!!! I call Customer service and they mention that I have to buy tokens or something..I don't frigging know. I really wish I can go back to Comcast internet and pay one fee an month and have something that worked and not have to be told that I have to buy more token. this is ridiculous. 

I can't help but notice that no one here has bothered to address your main question... Why can't your son play his Xbox on Hughesnet?

Chris knows the answer, so does Birddog, but they would rather run you around in circles doing speed tests and buying more tokens.

You can run 900 speed tests and buy a million dollars in tokens and your son will NEVER be able to play his Xbox on a Hughesnet system. It's something called the laws of physics, light can only travel so fast and there is a 600 ms delay which is not compatible with the games your son wants to play. Grand Theft Auto, Minecraft, Call of Duty, Titan Fall... any of those games will NOT work on ANY satellite system.

I'm sorry but I don't believe in telling people half truths, or in this case no truth at all. The answer to your question is.... Every Hughesnet customer has this problem, they just don't tell you about it. I'm not surprised that Birddog avoided your question but I really had a much higher opinion of Chris.... SHAME ON YOU CHRIS. If you really

want to make sure you were properly informed on the service, so please provide us with some more info
you would have told her up front... she did give you that information.

SPAM ALERT:
https://www.facebook.com/Hughesnetcustomers/
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

I have to disagree here in your criticism of Chris and BirdDog.
Anytime there is a "connection problem" even remotely related to speed it is logical that the first step is too establish the systems baseline performance levels by running speed tests and perhaps depending upon the nature of the complaint that remote diagnostics be ran.
Yes, the speed of light is what it is .... however many games can be played on a satellite connection.

You are making this blanket statement without having verified that the system limits were ever explained to the subscriber.
Bill, at least keep it straight. Nothing will work properly if the system is not running up to par.
Good Housekeepi

You and I both know her son isn't looking to play turn based games. You can't play action games on a satellite system and if they weren't so damned worried about avoiding the elephant in the room they would have addresse3d that part of her question. She can run all the speed tests she wants, buy all the tokens she wants and it will not change a thing.

I get 3 times the speeds promised to the average user... 30 Down and 3 up and I can't play action based games on Hughesnet and you know that is true! Let me introduce you to the elephant in the room, it's called the laws of physics.

Latency is still 600+ ms, thank you Einstein, or god if you are so inclined. Stop trying to lead this woman and her son down the garden path. Boost her speed up to what I get and her son still will not be able to play Xbox. Unless he wants to play Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sim City or Sid Meier's Civilization and I highly doubt those are the games he wants to play.

The proof will be in the pudding, these posts will disappear in the morning proving yet again that Hughesnet is hiding the truth.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

I don't think their hiding it: http://internet.hughesnet.com/faqs/gaming/

OP was keying in on speed, not latency, so that is what I based my reply on. I will agree if trying to play real-time games on Xbox then that isn't going to be doable.

Happy I said it Bill?
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

My point was this:
It is part of the "sales pitch" that potential customers are told that fast paced action "twitch" games will not work on a satellite connection.
If that declaration was not made then the customer was mislead and a review of the sales call will likely result in the customer being able to cancel with no ETF.

If the system and its plan offerings and limitations were properly disclosed then the OP is "guilty" of not knowing how to monitor their rate of usage.

It would appear that from the context of this topic that the OP has a xbox connected and game updates will kill a capped plan.

At the root the question remains: Was the OP properly informed or not.
Neither you nor I are  or should be privy to that. That is between the Mods and the OP.
For the rest of us ... education and information is what WE have to offer.
Methods of elimination of needless data, monitoring methods and a host of other info.

Good Housekeepi

My son can't even use his Xbox Live is anyone else having issue and if so can you please help me figure out how to get my service to ran faster
OP specifically mentioned her son NOT being able to play Xbox. Maybe you missed it. It was you that keyed in on speed.  If it's not being hid then why didn't you or Chris post that link in the first place? Oh wait, she was supposed to figure that out for herself, it's not Hughesnet's responsibility is it?

You and Chris both deliberately avoided the main issue. But thank you for admitting that
if trying to play real-time games on Xbox then that isn't going to be doable.
Maybe if enough people complain to their AG Hughesnet will finally be honest and upfront about things like this, but then this is the age of Hillary and Trump
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

Oh geez, look who's back.  How surprising...not really.  Bill just proved Godwin's Law. 

It's okay.  I understand why you keep coming back.  Everyone wants to feel important...even you, and online validation is obviously very important to you, as well. 

And going out of your way to bash individuals from here on your little Facebook page says a lot about you, too.  It's actually sad. 

tashanmichael

I understand what you are saying but its only been 4 days and we have already used 67% of our anytime data. There is noone even home from 7a-6p. This is ridiculous!
GabeU

tashanmichael,

You should start a new post for your particular issue, which you can do by clicking on "New Post" at the top of the page.  In the meantime, here is the procedure for testing for data leaks, plus additional info on how to monitor your data and the things that use it....

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-drain-cannot-find-the-cause?topic-reply-list...

Also, do you have a satellite TV receiver that may have been connected to the service?  This can use data even when the receiver is turned off, as long as your modem and router are on. 

Jeffrey Stewart

Chris,
You appear to be mocking the complaint: just use less?
Land based ISP versus satellite? you tried to explain your company doesn't have to compete?
GabeU

Chris is in no way mocking the OP.  And he made the distinction to explain WHY the data caps are there.  Try reading it for what it is. 

terry.barnett

Hughes net is the biggest scam, warn others how awful it is!!!!
GabeU

terry,

How is it a scam and how is it awful? 

GabeU

terry,

How is it a scam and how is it awful? 

Chris11
Alum

Hi Jeffrey,

Yes there are differences between land based and satellite. You are also correct, we cannot compete with one. Not mocking, I am stating facts. Many people when switching from a land based unlimited system have expectations set on how all internet is provided. I am giving an honest answer. Getting a more detailed explanation of what was told to our customers during sales is important. We want to make sure our customers receive accurate information. If you have a specific concern that you would like addressed feel free to create a new post. 

Thanks,
Chris
Sonja Brune

Agree 100%. They are demanding a > $300 early termination fee for us to move on...