Hughesnet Community

My concern is the fact that we had to turn in our perfectly functioning HT1000 modem for a seriously faulty HT1100 modem.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JohnWaylandBale

My concern is the fact that we had to turn in our perfectly functioning HT1000 modem for a seriously faulty HT1100 modem.

Our internet service has been seriously compromised by the "upgrade" from the HT1000 modem to the HT1100 modem. The uplink goes down repeatedly. In the three weeks since the "upgrade" we have spent hours talking to Tech Support and had two technician visits without resolving the problem or without convincing HughesNet that there is a problem. They prefer to tell us how many more features the HT1100 has compared to the HT1000.
66 REPLIES 66
Amanda

Hi John

I had a customer many years ago with the strangest issue. Every time her truck driver husband came home from work, the system would stop working. When he'd leave again the next day, the system would come back online. Turns out it was his CB radio in the truck. 

Do you know where to look for your grounding wire for the HughesNet dish? If so, can you check to see if it is still attached or not corroded? I do hope it is not something to do with wideband and CB frequencies. 

Amanda
JohnWaylandBale

I cannot find a grounding wire for the antenna. There is a grounding wire from our DirecTV coax attached to the house wiring ground, but I see nothing of the sort at the HughesNet satellite dish. A double coax cable runs from the dish through the attic to the back of the HT1100 (only one cable in use) but I see no ground. It would be no problem for me to put a grounding rod at the dish, or better yet, run a copper wire from the dish to the rod for our house current. It's not really a good idea to have electrical equipment attached to separate grounds (as I once learned at a laboratory where I was a researcher). Our antenna is on a steel post in the ground so probably acts as its own ground. Perhaps I should connect the two so it will be a common ground.
Amanda

Hi John

Thanks for the quick response. Not to say I don't trust you to do it, but I looked at the installation pictures and see that there is not all the required photos are there (grounding wire, block/rod, dielectric grease, weatherproof connectors/tape, line of sight) so I want to get someone out there to take off the connectors, grease if they are not, weather-proof them if they are not pre-manufactured weatherproof, ground the system and image all these elements for our records. Not having the system grounded sounds like you are just open for interference. Would you agree to a covered (no fee) visit from a tech to do this work? Let me know

Amanda
JohnWaylandBale

Amanda,

Sounds like a good idea. We would need to know when so we could leave our gate open.
Wadebear

John's other half here...

This morning I put a makeshift shield (cardboard covered with aluminum foil) around the modem.  Until about 4 PM it's been the best connection day we've had so far with this HT1100.  I didn't get kicked out of The Simpsons Tapped Out all day - at least not on all 3 of my devices at once (and no, it's not unusual for people playing Tapped Out to play more than one game. Or 2. Or 3. Or 6.  We tappers are a weird bunch...)

Right now I'm getting kicked out of Tapped Out right, left, and center.  I can't even get into another game I play: Tripeaks Solitaire.  I can't reach the server to download my game save stats.
Wadebear

John's other half here...

This morning I put a makeshift shield (cardboard covered with aluminum foil) around the modem.  Until about 4 PM it's been the best connection day we've had so far with this HT1100.  I didn't get kicked out of The Simpsons Tapped Out all day - at least not on all 3 of my devices at once (and no, it's not unusual for people playing Tapped Out to play more than one game. Or 2. Or 3. Or 6.  We tappers are a weird bunch...)

Right now I'm getting kicked out of Tapped Out right, left, and center.  I can't even get into another game I play: Tripeaks Solitaire.  I can't reach the server to download my game save stats.
Larry Lockie

No ground wire would have been My guess too. Have found many like that in the field. Sounds like They also do not have a Ground block. Obviously an upgrade from Wildblue, or Spaceway or older that was improperly installed.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just throwing this out there...

The critical components in the HT1100 are RF shielded, these components are the ones the modem uses for communication with the ODU and translation of signals from the ODU.  However, if you look closely at the HT1100 vs HT1000 and other previous modems, it does have less shielding.  BUT, that doesn't mean it's more susceptible to interference, it just means if a trucker has his CB cranked above what would be legal... You will probably have issues.
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Just throwing this out there...

The critical components in the HT1100 are RF shielded, these components are the ones the modem uses for communication with the ODU and translation of signals from the ODU.  However, if you look closely at the HT1100 vs HT1000 and other previous modems, it does have less shielding.  BUT, that doesn't mean it's more susceptible to interference, it just means if a trucker has his CB cranked above what would be legal... You will probably have issues.
Amanda

Hi Wadebear - I dare not touch that game for fear of being consumed 🙂

So all of this happened with the new modem? I am not sure if its just sensitivity, or maybe something shorted when putting in the new modem since the system is not grounded. In any case, I can set up the tech for you guys right away to come out and get all that stuff installed and bring another modem with him just in case. 

Is there a specific time for us to send the tech out or is there usually always someone at home?

Thanks
Amanda
JohnWaylandBale

Amanda,

There will be someone at home all day Wednesday, June 29. 

John & Wade
Amanda

Hi John & Wade

Done and done! I have scheduled a technician for tomorrow between 11AM and 2PM. They should call before arriving. Please let me know if something doesn't go right or you are not satisfied with the visit... and most importantly, if the issue still isn't fixed!

Thanks
Amanda
Wadebear

Well now I don't know if my makeshift shield did anything or not.  Today we've had a line of red Xs across our Current Hour History page on the modem and I've been booted out of my games over and over.  If the game tries to talk to the server and it doesn't get a response then the game kicks you to a No Connection page.
Amanda

Hi Wade

Taking a look at the system now. It's online for sure, but I only really see issues on the LAN side  at this moment. Do you have a router connected? It is telling me there is a subnet issue.. generally rebooting the router fixes this.

Thanks
Amanda
Amanda

Hi Wade & John

I didn't know if maybe you couldn't get online to tell me what is going on, so I took a leap and changed your IP address. The error has cleared. Can you connect now? Hopefully your device connected to the modem will update with the new IP and DNS information to avoid that error.

Thanks
Amanda

edit: Kept up your system screen and the error is back. If you have not rebooted the router/device connected, please do so.
JohnWaylandBale

Sorry, was busy and just now saw this message and just now rebooted the modem.
Wadebear

Actually I need to check some stuff out on the LAN.  We've been told repeatedly that the problem is with our router so I tried various changes to eliminate the router as a problem source.

I had the router set up as 192.168.1.1 with manually assigned IP addresses for our equipment using the router's reservation system - the only way I could find to give all our various internet enabled devices a static IP.  Static IPs were especially needed for the network printer and camera monitoring system - without them we couldn't connect with either of them.

I tried various changes to the router settings.  I even tried putting it into Access Point mode.  Nothing helped with the Uplink dropouts.

I think I have the router set back up the way I had it.  If the problem persists I saved a configuration file on my laptop and can restore it.
Larry Lockie

Date for config file is correct. 2/17/2016
Amanda

Hello,

Just wanted to check in. I see the new photos uploaded with the grounding done and other things requested.. How would you say your performance is now as opposed to when you first made this post ? Let me know.

Thanks
Amanda
Wadebear

It's still doing the same thing.

Yesterday afternoon I opened my games and immediately started getting uplink errors.  I swapped my tablets over to my Hot Spot and they stopped.  Later I switched back to the satellite and was able to stay on all night, then this morning the uplink started dropping out again.  This hour shows 5 red Xs so far.

I tried switching to an old router as a test, but it's still doing it.  Although that did clear up an issue with the game starting very slowly on 2 of my devices (Android).  I'll have to look into that.

Here's a question: Should I have IPV6 turned on in the router?  I had it turned off with the HT1000.  While I'm asking...  How exactly should I have the router set up?  It's an ASUS RT-AC66U.

I have the WAN set to Dynamic Ip.
Router LAN address 192.168.1.1
JohnWaylandBale

The uplink was fine for four or five hours, so I think grounding the dish helped. The uplink now seems to go out only when Wade is playing his online Android game "Simpsons: Tapped Out." So he has tried swapping out routers. If that does not work we will probably begin looking for replacement routers. But I am satisfied that you guys have done just about everything you can do to solve the problem, and I greatly appreciate it.