cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data bytes are draining away rapidly

My data bytes are draining away rapidly

I've had this system installed for two days. Already all my data is used up. I upgraded to 50 gig a month half an hour ago. 10% of that is gone already. System has been too slow to watch videos. What is going on?
30 REPLIES 30

Re: My data bytes are draining away rapidly

I haven't streamed any video, tried last night and this morning but the system was so slow it wasn't possible. I'm not aware of any software upgrades. I saw a link in one of these conversation that connected to a download history, All night I was using 9000+meg an hour. I was in bed!
Alum

Kevin,

Thanks for the post and welcome to the community. We were able to locate your account and run diagnostics. We do see quite a bit of data is being used hourly since midnight 1/22 (today).

If you are unaware of how your data is being used, here is a great post for starters of common and uncommon data sources that might eat up your data: https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

If you feel that there is something else that is draining your data, we can run a test to see if we can pinpoint the source. Please read over the post and let us know if you would like to proceed further. We will await your response and appreciate your patience.

- Warren

Thanks Warren, I am at a complete loss. I unplugged my Amazon Fire video device to see if that helped but it doesn't appear to help. I've run herdprotect to find malware. It found 1 item that i had repaired. I looked at my computers "resource monitor", my network activity varies between zero and 100kbs. I have no idea if that is significant. Please run a test to see what you can find. kevin

2 computers. I do have a wireless router. I have a Kindle fire TV and Directv. a wireless printer. Can't think of anything else. Here is the usage, notice the switch to low use just after I upgraded.
Assistant Professor

Plug one computer directly into modem and see if usage drops.

I've gone through 40gig since 11:am today. Is that possible? I can't believe my DSL provider would have put up with that useage.
Alum

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. First let's make sure the HughesNet modem isn't causing any of this so please follow these illustrated steps:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

- Warren
Highlighted

Will do it tonight. kevin
New Poster

kevin I think you will find that the problem lies in the Directtv connection, I have heard of others that have either a Dishtv device or Directtv device connected to the Hughes system and they get stuck trying to update either there SW or the guides or something and when it cant complete it keeps retrying and never completes and just sucks you data dry