cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My data bytes are draining away rapidly

Alum

Re: My data bytes are draining away rapidly

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply. Did you reconnect your router, or is it still disconnected?

- Warren

I did reconnect around 7:am today.
Alum

Kevin,

Thanks for the reply and keep us posted on your speeds. We see that once the router was connected, the 18MB of data was used. Make sure you investigate your wireless connections to your router to see what is connected that is using data. Also, make sure your router firmware is updated as well.

Please let us know if there is any additional concerns you may have.

- Warren
Highlighted
Employee

Kevin,

I was just following up on your usage issue.  I just checked the past few days and the usage looks normal.  If this was really your router, what model and firmware is on it?  If it wasn't your router could you let everyone know what it was so the knowledge can be shared with others?

Respectfully,
Chad

Thanks for the follow up Chad. I have absolutely no idea what was causing the drain. Prior to unplugging the ethernet cable I had drained away 40gig in less than 12 hours. As soon as the cable was unplugged the drain reduced to almost nothing. When I plugged it back in the usage stayed at near zero and has been normal ever since. Maybe there was an interface problem between one of the components in my system that was allowed to reset by the disconnect/reconnect.

would really like to know on this one ,  hows this is possible ?      learning !!!!!

What DirecTV receiver do you have?  Some use Wi-Fi connected for PPV orders and so forth.  The guide and program updates come from the Satellite however not the internet.  If you have Genie that will use Wi-Fi and may be hooked through your PC. If you select menu on your remote then go to setup and system setup it will show if there is a connection to the internet.  Mine is connected and I do not use any PPV  it hasn't used any of my Data from HughesNet.

Now for Smart TV's they can and will chew up your data.

Could be some software slowing your pc down

Thanks Gary, I do have the Genie. All systems have been good after the first days trouble.

Thanks Charles, everything is running fine now. kevin