Hughesnet Community

My data did not reset this month

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thylton

My data did not reset this month

After calling in complaining of some connection issues, I received a new HT 1100 modem. It installed fine and everything was good. I had also upgraded from the 10GB plan to the 15 GB plan. The day it was supposed to reset, I didn't check it since I was working long hours that day and the next and was barley home (I live alone). I went to watch some TV on my Amazon Fire Stick that weekend and I had almost the same exact amount of data that I had a few days previous, approximately 1.5 GB. It never reset. I called customer support, they claimed I used it all. I never turned on my Fire Stick and only had a tablet and phone connected to the WiFi. My computer had not been turned on for over a week. They had me leave the modem unplugged for an hour to see if it was using the data. I called back over an hour later and the second tech says no, I had to leave the modem unplugged for at least 4 hours. So I did that and called back and he said things like "oh my" and "this isn't right" but never told me what the issue was. He just said I need a new dish. Why? My dish is fine. I ask if my data will be reset after the tech comes out and he says "yes, of course". I take half a day off work several days later and the tech tells me my dish is fine and just needs to be readjusted for a better signal. I'm running 60-80 and should be running 100-110 signal strength. He fixed it in 15 minutes. I have to call again after he leaves to get my data reset. They don't reset it. They give me token bites, but don't explain that to me. And only give me 10GB when I pay for 15GB. So I call again and speak to a supervisor. I have to explain the entire story each time, because no one seems to read the notes from the last person, although I'm assured each time they have noted the account. And then I call back two days later because now a show that used to use approximately 700mb of data to watch now uses 2GB. I am told that now that my signal is better, that is normal. The last thing I was told was to wait until the 15th of next month to see if my data resets and then they will see if there is a problem. I have been with HughesNet for 10 years and have had my ups and downs, but I am usually satisfied with the overall service I receive. But I have to say, this is the WORST customer service experience I have ever had. 
12 REPLIES 12
thylton

These are screen shots from when I unplugged the LAN cable from my modem last night, then plugged it back in this morning, as I saw suggested in other posts.
And just an FYI, my Amazon Fire Stick was unplugged at the time this happened. 
Mordacious

What this shows is that you are not suffering from DDDD, which is good, I guess. However this doesn't do anything to show that your data was not reset 10 days ago. Please, before you go jumping off on a tangent, I'm not saying it did reset, I just am unsure of how to go about proving it didn't. Perhaps the daily use chart would help, but I do know the Official reps will know how to hunt this down when they see this.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Pretty much need a snapshot on the day of reset, not ten days later, to prove it on your end. Perhaps a rep will be able to tell from the modem logs what happened as far as not resetting. What do usage charts show for the day of reset and day after?
Amanda

Hi thylton

Welcome to our community and thank you for your post. After reviewing your previous case history I do see we sent out a technician due to a bad alignment, which required repointing the dish. Unfortunately this had nothing to do with your concerns about data not resetting. Your data resets on the 15th of every month (10 days ago). There is very little usage (about 20MB both days) up until the 17th of the month, when 13.8 GB were used. Adding this up to everything used up until now, equals to about 25GB or maybe a bit more. Your plan is 15 GB Anytime / Month and our phone reps provided you 10GB in tokens ( you can see your token balance under those data allowance circles) so there is actually about 4GB of token data left, meaning we recorded more data used than we actually charged you for. Hope this clears things up.

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Amanda not to knit pick but the snapshots show reset on the 15th not the 12th. Just a typo?
Amanda

Nope, actual mistake. Thanks for catching it! I looked at her billing date instead of her installation date (install date determines the reset day). Yes - the reset date is the 15th of every month!

Thanks
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Thanks. That usage spike is the very next day after reset then, maybe why thylton thought it never reset if didn't look at meter on the 15th.
thylton

Hi Amanda, when I called they said data was used. Can you tell when, since I was not home, no one lives near enough to use the WiFi, the Fire stick was unplugged and computer was turned off. The techs I spoke to one the phone suspected the modem.
thylton

Actually it's not necessary to answer that. It's obvious that although I have never used that amount data in one day during the day, it's assumed to be an issue on my end, even though all devices were unplugged, turned off and no firmware updates were done on my WiFi router (which was the only thing plugged in besides the modem). Luckily there are people at HughesNet that actually appreciate HughesNet customers and actually want to keep them, so a big thank you JoAnn for contacting me about my experience. People like her are the reason I stay with HughesNet.
Amanda

Hi thylton,

Sorry about that. I see JoAnn gave you a month credit and some tokens. I can't tell exactly when the data was used but I can say I see more than Amazon on there as requesting data - there is also Steam too (video game client/store). We hope that you'll come back and visit us again if something like this happens so we can have another chance to help.

Thank you
Amanda
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

In the OP it was said "I never turned on my Fire Stick and only had a tablet and phone connected to the WiFi. ". Both a tablet and phone can be guilty of using very large amounts of data.
thylton

Amanda, thank you for taking the time to look into this. I appreciate it and you did show the day it happened. Since I left at 7am and called support within an hour of coming home, I guess it's possible that the cat and dog binge watched Game of Thrones while I was working.
I did also find that Amazon was previously streaming in SD due to my weak connection. It had just been that way for so long, I didn't realize it. I know the limitations I get with satellite, but I've made the mistake of leaving HughesNet before. My connection is going good again and I was able to download a game from Steam quickly. Thanks for making a previously happy customer happy again!