cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My internet renewed it's data allowance of 15gb yesterday. This morning around 9 am i was at about 97 percent and tonight it is drained.

My internet renewed it's data allowance of 15gb yesterday. This morning around 9 am i was at about 97 percent and tonight it is drained.

My internet renewed it's data allowance of 15gb yesterday. This morning around 9 am i was at about 97 percent and tonight it is drained. i need help!!!!!! It should not be gone in one day and i wasnt even home for about 6 hours.
13 REPLIES 13
Freshman

Re: My internet renewed it's data allowance of 15gb yesterday. This morning around 9 am i was at about 97 percent and tonight it is drained.

We  had same problem, we think or neighbor may have been using it. We have a security code, but, my son told me they now have apps a person can get to get your code, so now, when we leave, we just unplug it, Seems to be working now, plus , if someone would download a game, that sucks it right down,
Freshman

Re: My internet renewed it's data allowance of 15gb yesterday. This morning around 9 am i was at about 97 percent and tonight it is drained.

Also, make sure you dont have your wifi running on other things, like tablets, phones,when your not using them turn wifi off ,
Highlighted
Alum

Hi Teresa,

Thank you for posting. We want to address your concerns about data usage. The first thing to do is to isolate your HughesNet modem. Please follow the directions in this diagram:

Please take care in cropping out your SAN while taking the screenshots.

Keep in mind there are countless factors that can use your data:

- more devices are capable of connecting to the internet: phones, tablets, gaming consoles, SmartTVs, and even refrigerators can connect wirelessly to the internet. Keep track of what devices you leave running on Wi-Fi.

- automatic-updates: your computer and any other programs you use will often keep working in the background, even if you're not actively using that program, in order to keep your system/program up-to-date. Anti-virus programs will periodically use your internet connection to check back with their malware database for any updates. You should have an option to turn off auto-updates and/or schedule them for a later time.

- multimedia content: Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, Facebook, Tumblr, Instagram, news sites, and other websites will contain videos, animated gifs, and sound clips that may start playing as soon as you land on the site. So much content, so easily available almost everywhere on the internet. For starters, try disabling auto-play video on Facebook:

https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/how_to_disable_autoplay_videos_on_facebook

or adjusting your Netflix playback quality to SD: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87

- more data sources can be found here, as posted by a fellow community member:https://community.myhughesnet.com/hughesnet/topics/data-usage-sources-common-and-not-so-common

The most important tool to download is the Status Meter, available in the Customer Support Center, to help you monitor your data usage: supportcenter.myhughesnet.com

Your cooperation and patience are greatly appreciated. We look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Chris

I actually had this same thing happen two month ago.  So I started unplugging the modem every night before bed. Then BANG happen again.  This all started after an upgrade to 15. 

It's an endless losing battle. Hughesnet apparently doesn't realize that many/most of its customers would actually like to use the modern features of the Web, like TV and radio streaming, etc. The data allowance should be tripled -- at minimum -- to even come close to what cable internet can provide. I'm not holding my breath.
Freshman

Tonight our television died and I used my laptop to stream. For some reason it seems to suck data down a lot faster than my Kindle Fire - 3.5GB for ONE movie! Time to get over the hassle it will be and drill the holes to run the cable into the trailer (living in a camper while our house is built). We can't afford to watch too many videos, at least not without being more careful. Will see how many of my services I can find the settings for tonight and how many are defaults.
Freshman

Oh. And buy a new television to put in our bedroom. :-(

It never stops!

Something is way off.  Over ten years with Hughesnet and used so little data every month I had accumulated several free tokens and last month, ALL data was gone within three days, I had to use all the free tokens and then buy another $60 worth. And we don't do movies at all.  Just internet surfing and email.  Yet, after all that, then it all seemed very sluggish, like 50 gazillion people using it all at once.  But if you look into it, you just get the scripted response, like the one above.  - It's YOUR fault, not Hughes'.

I found a wireless internet provider out here, and I am SO done with Hughesnet.  I can't believe I had this option where I live and didn't know about it.  My internet is lightning fast now and NO FAP.  Look for other alternatives.  And when you find one - then RUN, run like the wind ...
Spectator

I'm having the same issue - were you able to get it resolved and find out why? I've had HughesNet for five years and rarely exceeded my data usage. I had an issue in August with massive download usage and they came out and realigned my dish with the satellite. Last month and again this month, I'm getting huge download spikes for no apparent reason. I've checked and turned off all the automatic stuff, and now don't even connect my phone to the WiFi and my iPad for only an hour or so a day. And I'm on Day 9 of my billing period and have used 33% of my data. I called for help but was told they can't tell me why the mysterious downloads are happening. I'm beginning to suspect it's a bad Status Meter or something weird like that.