Hughesnet Community

My internet speeds will not excede 2 MBPS.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
coreyellis1
Freshman

My internet speeds will not excede 2 MBPS.

I have just here recently been having issues with my internet speeds. This has been going on the past several days. I cant not seem to get through to the people on chat and on the phone that I have did all the troubleshooting steps like 20 times, yes 20 times already. I have even went as far as to replace all the cable from the dish to inside my home with RG 6 cable. I have also replaced all my Ethernet cables, and it cant be said that it is my router because I was just sent a new one by you guys. I know about peak times or what not, and my speeds are the same if not worse off peak times. I know that if I couldn't get no help by phone or chat to come here. I do want to apologize for using profanity on the phone with tech support but that woman was not listening to anything that was coming out of my mouth. It was going to only go one way.... hers. Nope that's not going to work that way! I had repeatedly over and over told her that I have already did the troubleshooting steps literately 20 times and she just keep on talking as I did not know what I was talking about. I am in fact very computer (technology) intelligent, I deal with computers on a daily basis. I know just about any everything there is to know about them.  I have even built my own computer. So I am far from stupid!!! I even have a computer clubs calling me and asking for my advice, so like I said I am very far from the word stupid. If there is a problem with anything that can remotely deal with a computer I know how to fix it.
4 REPLIES 4
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

You should not have replaced the cable yourself, it needs special spec cable for satellite. Where did you purchase it and is it swept for 3 GHz, quad shield, and solid copper core? Not to mention you voided any warranty available like free service call.

This isn't about your computer skills, talking the satellite side. Knowing about computers doesn't equate to knowing about satellite hardware.

Will be tomorrow before official rep is here to reply.
williamtobler

You stated 2 MBPS.  Did you mean this or 2 Mbps?  2 MBPS is pretty good.  2 Mbps is not.
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Did you replace with this kind of cable and did you use dielectric grease inside the connectors?
https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Broadband-PHAT-SATELLITE-INTL/dp/B017CULXYM/ref=pd_lpo_23_tr_t_3?_e...

The cable is not meant to be replaced by the customer. Plus it needs a separate or attached signal wire that is used for grounding.

Your installation is now compromised by you replacing the cable. HughesNet has no idea if your installation is up to specs and therefore can not say what is causing your speed issue.

The cable is like an artery going from the dish to your modem. The artery may now be clogged.
Liz

Good morning Corey,

Thanks for posting. Is this a constant thing? Are you getting ~2 Mbps even in the morning or daytime? Whenever you're most often experiencing slow speeds, please run at least 3 speed tests at that time; let's determine what speeds you're getting directly from the modem.

Please follow the steps here to set up a testmy.net account, if you haven't one already, and run those tests:

http://customer.kb.hughesnet.com/Pages/7001.aspx

Most important points:
-do the tests while directly connected to the HughesNet modem
-use the 12MB test file
-space each test at least 5 minutes apart
-post your results URL here, it may look something like http://testmy.net/quickstats/[yourusername]

I've already run remote diagnostics on your site, and despite you replacing the coax on your own, there's nothing out of the ordinary showing up in the results, but I will make note that the cable was replaced.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz
If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!