My old modem was better.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
llegarsky
New Poster

My old modem was better.

Just ran a speed test and got 0.12 Mbps. My old 56Kbs modem was better than this crap. FAP not exceeded, rebooted everything, signal strength at 107, no red 'x's' except web acceleration. Have to reset MBX constantly. Ran test after pulling the plug on the HT1100 and connected my Windows PC directly to the HT1100. Nothing else is using the internet. I can barely check emails with this. I'm still on GEN4 and I know Hughesnet will want me to upgrade to GEN5 so they can stick me with a 2 year commitment. I refuse to do that for 25Mbps that's not guaranteed. When I upgraded to GEN4, it was 15Mbps. Now they raised my monthly bill $10 and dropped my download speed to 10Mbps trying to force me to GEN5. Anybody else having problems on Jupiter 1, Beam 24?

21 REPLIES 21
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

Where is your gateway located, do you know?

They don't drop your speeds -- a number of things can affect your speeds. Are you asking for tech support from the reps here? They can be very helpful in solving issues like what you're experiencing.

Correction. Actually on beam 25.

llegarsky
New Poster

Gateway is 4. Wherever that is. A tech should look into this. Never been this bad before. 

maratsade

Definitely. I hope someone will get back to you -- not sure if a rep will be around tonight (they work M-F, approximately 9-5, with some small variations), but if not, hopefully someone will reply to you tomorrow.

Do you mean Beam ID 4? If so, your gateway is in Tucson, AZ. (Gateways are always in a different state from where the user lives).

Gateway ID is 4

Beam ID is 25

maratsade

Gateway would be in Boise, ID, then.  EDIT: your OP says Beam 24, and if that's so, then the gateway is in Billings, MT.

I'm in western PA (zip = 15725). Why would that be?

GabeU

@llegarsky wrote:

I'm in western PA (zip = 15725). Why would that be?

There has to be a wide enough angle between the beam coverage area and the gateway location, so they're never in the same state. Most of the gateways are in the western part of the country.

Beam 24 on the ES17 satellite is the same beam I was on with Gen4, and the same beam my folks are still on. Their service is fine, as far as I know.

Damian

@llegarsky,

Thank you for posting and I am sorry to hear you are experiencing this.  While I mostly understand your resistance to upgrade, we are gradually phasing out technical support for Gen 4. This is mainly due to the many limitations in what we can support and repair remotely.  Our internal systems have upgraded along with the equipment we provide and you are now in a "Legacy" category. The best I will be able to do is check the actual signal quality of the dish and if it is poor, a technician would be able to come out and re-align the dish for you. If the dish signal is fine, however, there may not be much I can do remotely. If you would like me to attempt to run remote diagnostics anyways, please let me know.  -Damian  

Signal strength is 108 right now. Do what you can. Sounds like after 15 years with Hughsnet, I'll be moving on. 

@llegarsky,

We will be very sad to see you go and would much rather you stay. Is the main reason more because you don't want to upgrade due to a higher cost for speed that is not guaranteed or just starting another commitment? If it is more of the first, we have a Gen 5 plan that is actually a few dollars less expensive than your current one with 5 more GB of anytime data. You would be going from 10GB to 15GB. $69.99 to $64.99 for more. It is true that speeds on any generation of service are not guaranteed but at least your baseline speed would be higher in the worst case situation. We would also be able to assist and repair things more efficiently if needed. -Damian  

So let me get this right. After paying my bill on time for 15 years, you raised my monthly bill $10 in August without telling me GEN4 tech support will be phased out. I've been paying $9.99/month for obsolete equipment for who knows how long and when I have a problem, your only solution is for me is to upgrade and commit to two more years of mediocre service. No wonder you hate to see me go. I see my original post is correct - upgrade or live with it. Starlink is looking better every day.

@llegarsky,

Gen 4 support has not been phased out yet. I mentioned it is gradually being phased out. This is mainly due to the generation of service you are on being inferior in everyway. The most important limitation is remote troubleshooting an old generation of service. When running diagnostics I was also unable to find any equipment or service issues outside of the heavy cloud coverage in your area which can affect speeds and connection. Despite that, the speeds your modem is receiving are much higher than what you posted in your original comment and within an acceptable range for your Gen 4 plan at 8mbps down. That is actually quiet impressive considering the weather in your area should being affecting the service much more. With that being said, if you find the service does not meet your needs, that is understandable. Our representatives and I have provided you with the most beneficial and efficient choice if you plan on continuing your service with us and having a better experience. -Damian 

I sure don't know how you get 8 Mbps, I just ran a speed test at 6:15 am my time and got 128 Kbps. Signal strength is 115.

maratsade

They measure the speed of the signal as it hits your modem.  That's the speed they're delivering. If on your side of the modem you're experiencing lower speeds, that has to do with something on your side, not with their equipment. It could be your device, the applications you run, the status of your operating system, etc. This is not something they can fix; you'd have to troubleshoot this yourself.

GabeU

@llegarsky wrote:

I sure don't know how you get 8 Mbps, I just ran a speed test at 6:15 am my time and got 128 Kbps. Signal strength is 115.

How are you running your speed tests?

First I connected my laptop directly to the HT1100 Lan port with an ethernet cable and ran the hnsspeedtest. Then ran the Ookla speed test. Ookla is a stand alone - no browser. Similar results with both tests. Then I connected my desktop PC the same way with a different ethernet cable.. Ran both speed tests again. Same results. Strange thing, though, the upload speeds were 1 to 2 Mbps while the download speeds were in the 100 to 300 Kbps range. Why would upload speeds be 10 times the download speeds? Possibly a bad Lan port on the HT1100?

maratsade

To test your HughesNet speed, you will need to use https://testmy.net/
This test is required to have any speed issues addressed by the HughesNet techs. 
Follow the procedure detailed here: https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Think-you-have-slow-speeds/m-p/110034#M74607

You can always call the customer line and request a tech, and pay the associated tech visit fee. 

@llegarsky 

"Why would upload speeds be 10 times the download speeds?"

The packeting scheme used by Ookla conflicts with both the way HughesNet's acceleration works as well as due to the latency inherent to satellite communications. There is no acceleration used on uploading so it gives a more accurate assessment.

* Disclaimer: I am a HughesNet customer and not a HughesNet employee. All of my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent HughesNet in any way.

Well, testmy.net result is 229 Kbps download speed. Certainly not 8 Mbps. Upload is 115 Kbps