My service is on and off for the last 2 to 3 weeks

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alpine5575
Freshman

My service is on and off for the last 2 to 3 weeks

I will have a connection for about 5 or 10 minutes then it goes off again for 5 minutes or so. The dish is clear, and when I run connection test one time it will say I have connection to gateway next time it will say limited connectivity with it showing packet lose. Sometimes it will not even connect at all to even run the test. I have tried multiple times rebooting it by unplugging, but it doesn't help. 

Starting to get very frustrated, Please Help !!

14 REPLIES 14
Boop_dedo69

I got the service and all it does is play Netflix for 2 minutes then it’s off for 5 minutes then back on for 2 minutes you can’t even watch anything this internet is crap

I have had Hughsnet for quite a few years, and understand it's limitations. It is not for streaming and movie watching in my opinion, but is better than any other option that I have where I live. My problem has nothing to do with streaming or watching Netflix, my problem is my entire connection comes and goes constantly. I can get connected then next thing you know if disconnected.

GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

@Boop_dedo69

If you would like to troubleshoot your issue, please start a new topic, which you can do here... https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/TechSupport  

In the meantime, try pausing (Snooze), or turning OFF, the Video Data Saver, then try streaming again.

What is Video Data Saver?  -  And how to manage it.  

GabeU

@alpine5575

The reps won't be back on until Monday, but in the meantime, there are a few things to try and check if you'e still having an issue.

If you have the modem plugged into a power strip or surge protector, please try plugging it directly in to an outlet to see if it makes any difference.  Also, please make sure that the power plug going into the back of the modem is not loose.  Please be careful with this plug, as it is delicate.  In addition, please make sure that the coax connector at the back of the modem is finger tight.  It doesn't need to be any tighter than this, but it shouldn't be loose.  

If none of this makes any difference, please post back.  

One last thing to keep thing to keep in mind:  though weather at your location may be clear, weather at your gateway location can also affect your service, and your gateway can be anywhere in the US.  If you think of the satellite as a mirror, your gateway is on the other side of the satellite from you, and it's where your service actually enters the net.  However, like when it occurs at your own location, your service being affected by weather at your gateway should only be temporary. 

I have the modem plugged directly into wall outlet and connection is tight, so that doesn't seem to be the problem. I have noticed that the system light will be off on the modem when I loose service, I will unplug and plug back in, sometimes it will come back on other times it won't.

GabeU

@alpine5575

Thanks for checking those things.  It sounds like your issue is almost assuredly something the reps are going to have to help with.  They're on M-F from approximately 8AM to 5PM EST, so they won't be back until Monday (I don't think they have off for President's Day), though it can sometimes take them a day or two to reply.  I'll tag them so that they will be sure to see this thread and reply.  

@Liz

@Amanda

If you'd rather not wait for the reps to reply on here, you can call 866-347-3292 for HughesNet Tech Support (24/7).

Edit:  Please ignore the wacky edit with the pictures and such.  I'm on a laptop and sometimes accidentally select things with the touchpad that I don't mean to.  Sorry if it confused you.  

Still experiencing off and on connectivity, and patiently waiting for some tech help.

GabeU

I'm hoping that they can help you soon.  

@Liz

@Amanda

Edit:  I forgot to type anything after the tagging before. 

Wife talked to lady on phone today that signed us up for Gen 5 and is mailing out new modem. She said they could adjust our dish about an hour after she got off phone, so I will have to see if this helps or not. Hopefully the newer Gen 5 will be better, but I'm having my doubts after reading about the problems people on here are having.

Well I no sooner got my last response typed and sent and I loose my connection again. It seems that the system light goes out on the modem off and on randomly, I believe that's why I'm loosing my connection. They were supposed to have moved my dish remotely from where they are at, but it still does the same thing, off then on then back on again all day long ??

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They can't move/aim the dish remotely, there is no mechanism to do so. It takes a tech visit to repoint the dish.

Well that's nice and reassuring to hear, since the lady my wife talked to said they would have to reaim the dish for the gen 5 upgrade anyway and would do it remotely. So basically the lady did her job she sold us and upgrade and a big load of BS for more money per month, and I still have internet that is on and off constantly. Well at least HN has some good sales people.

Good morning alpine5575,

Please accept my apologies for the late response to you. I was able to research your account and see that the replacement modem should arrive by tomorrow. There is scheduled maintenance for that should help with those disconnection issues you have been experiencing which should occur overnight tonight. 

Regarding the remote re-pointing of the dish, BirdDog is correct that we do not have this capability. I have found the agent and call you mentioned and will review it. In the meantime, I will be applying a credit to your account. Tomorrow morning,or when you first try to use the internet service, please power-cycle your modem before you begin browsing or replace the modem with your new one if it has arrived by then (which ever comes first). If you have any questions or concerns please let me know. 

Thank you

Amanda

Amanda, Thank You for the reply back. I received the modem today and everything seems to be working now. My wife may have misunderstood what the agent told her about realignment of the dish, but as of now it seems to work fine so far. 

Thanks Again !!