Hughesnet Community

My slow internet speed problem has not been resolved. My problem was escalated to engineers and has

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myrabaker1234

My slow internet speed problem has not been resolved. My problem was escalated to engineers and has

17 REPLIES 17
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

You will need to provide more detail about what's going on. 

They need more details???  Slow internet should be self explainitory.  Everybody has slow internet.  They should give us months of free service for having to put up with this.  This is not what I am paying big dollars for.

maratsade

You could always cancel the service if it works so badly for you and you're unwilling to troubleshoot.   No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to stay.

FLW wrote:

They need more details???  Slow internet should be self explainitory.  Everybody has slow internet.  They should give us months of free service for having to put up with this.  This is not what I am paying big dollars for.

Telling people to cancel allot of times...doesn't help at all, and most likely it just makes the customer more irritated . While I agree that they should post more specific information to help in any way possible, telling people to cancel...not helping. 

maratsade

Telling people they can cancel is reminding them of  a remedy for their situation. Many people stay with the service and pay more money over the span of the contract than the cost of the ETF. Cancelling is a valid option if their service doesn't work to their satisfaction.

I haven’t had hughesnet service a full week yet, and it continues to buffer. I can never watch a full show or movie because it’s buffering every 3 to 5 minutes!
GabeU

@Brittd89 

Right now things like streaming are being prioritized behind work and schooling related activities, so it may not work very well, especially during times of high volume, which is increasing around the clock as of late, and likely to get even worse.  

With this said, to ensure it's not an overall speed issue, I'd start a new topic in Tech Support to troubleshoot the issue.

I have done everything possible and still nothing! Mine has been slow yet using a lot of bytes this service has been a pain. But now even more so since all this has start with COVID HughesNet your just trying to fall behind the excuse of many are using the service more... WELL SHOULDN’T this be supported for all customers no matter how many people are using it! And after reading this person replies from you. I take it that HughesNet isn’t looking out for their customers! SMH
GabeU

@Ger wrote:
HughesNet your just trying to fall behind the excuse of many are using the service more... WELL SHOULDN’T this be supported for all customers no matter how many people are using it!  

With system load doubling in a week's time nearly a month ago, and probably quadrupling since then, how do you propose they combat the slowdown?  See if there's a satellite laying around that they forgot about?  And if they do happen to find one they misplaced, do they then take it out to the back yard and duct tape a few million model rocket engines to it and light a match?  And do they then send thousands of techs out to point at least a third of their ~ 1.4 million customers at the new satellite when it finally gets to it's orbital position?  And then there will be a dozen or more new ground stations required to handle the new satellite's traffic.

If a bridge is designed to handle a maximum of 20,000 vehicles per hour and there's a sudden event that increases traffic fourfold or more and that increase causes a terrible traffic jam, is it that bridge designer's fault?  No. Is there something they can do to make the traffic pass over that bridge any faster?  No.  

HughesNet isn't making excuses.  They're dealing with reality, just like every other company that has been impacted by the pandemic.  They have a system that is designed to handle a maximum amount of traffic before it starts slowing down, and that maximum amount was hit weeks ago because of the dramatic increase in traffic.

If you want something or someone to blame, blame COVID-19.

@GabeU  come on man, you're better then that. I am not being a smart@ss at all, but in your own words..this is a tech support site and not a rant site, or a place to vent. There are channels and places to do so such as social media or even send that person a private message. Now, while I do agree with you to an extent, on your analogy of the whole bridge with too much traffic and cannot blame the architect that designed it, no you cannot blame the designers who came up with satellite based internet. But, you can punch a few holes in your theory. So, yeah there is a traffic jam, and that bridge can only hold or take on some many vehicles an hour. Can they make the traffic any less jammed up, sure. See, it then falls on the city and or state who owns that bridge to step in, and monitor and manage that traffic jam so to speak..and one way to do so is to stop allowing too many vehicles on that bridge, before it collapses.  So, while this whole pandemic is somewhat at fault, it isn't fully at fault. One way to better manage their internet is to stop selling it to people each day, knowing that it cannot currently handle the load. See, your theory is all well and good man, and I do not disagree whole heartedly with it, nor with you. And while refusing to sell a service to someone sounds like it's not really the right thing to do, sometimes it's the only thing to do. Because at that point, you're selling a service you cannot supply fully, and or partially at most times. Let's say you pay me...$3000 a month for I dunno, let's say 60 bicycles, and I supply you with that for the first month or two, but then I take on 60 more customers with that same order and I get overwhelmed. Then I only supply you and my other paying customers with 5-6 a month, but you're still paying me each month for 60. Well, I just keep taking on more customers each month and I cannot supply anyone with the service I am supposed to, yet each day I tell a new customer or two that I can. That then becomes my fault, and my fault only. So, what I am getting at, is stop selling what you know you cannot provide "Right Now". When life gets back to normal, sure you can continue to add customers. But when there is that proverbial traffic jam, don't have the traffic cop out there sending more and more vehicles onto a bridge it cannot handle...

GabeU

@robinloraditch 

I couldn't agree more.  There should be a moratorium on accepting new customers until things ease up.  However, that's still not going to help those of the ~1.4 million subscribers that had service prior to this ever starting and whose service is suffering badly because of it.

@GabeU  I agree with you there. A company shouldn't have more clientele than it could ever handle without adding more equipment and or satellites and so forth to be able to handle them at a given time. While a lot of customers do not understand terrestrial internet versus satellite internet, as where cable internet and so forth can add more to help with congestion, satellite cannot really..Well not without shooting up some more sats up there to handle the ever growing need for more bandwidth and so on. I get it, I do..Because I was frustrated for many months even well before this epidemic began. But, I got my problems rectified and even with the slowed down and congested network...we still make do. 

Thank you for that Robin! I was just going to say the very thing you commented! Quit selling the service to more people if it’s causing the “trafficking jam!” Simple as that!
GabeU

@FLW wrote:

Being that you're evidently a mind reader, please help the OP by explaining what the "slow internet speed problem" is specifically referring to and what has been done thus far, if anything, to address the issue, including any troubleshooting that has been performed.  Specific types of downloads?  A site loading issue?  Time outs (specific sites?)?  Things generally taking longer to perform?  Streaming issues?  WiFi?

It would be of great assistance the OP, I'm sure.

More info on what's going on????  Slow internet is self expainitory.  Not a very good stall thechnique.

maratsade

No one is trying to stall. They're just trying to figure out WHY the user has slow internet.  They can't fix a problem if they don't know where it comes from. In many cases the problem is on HughesNet's side; in many others, it's on the user's side. Trying to determine what's going on is the way problems are solved.  If you would like to troubleshoot issues, start a new topic under Tech Support. This is a support site, not social media. 

FLW wrote:

More info on what's going on????  Slow internet is self expainitory.  Not a very good stall thechnique.

Liz

Hi myrabaker1234,

We're closing this thread since we never got a reply from you. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!