My survey responses - Copy and paste each time

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lighthope1
Senior

My survey responses - Copy and paste each time

Every couple of months, I get an e-mail from HugesNet to take part in a customer satisfaction survery.

I answer the same way every time because my opinions about HughesNet are the same each time.

I'll just jot them down here so HughesNet can copy and paste them into the survey instead of sending me one all the time.

Whenever I talk to Customer Service, the person is always nice, but it is clear they are reading from a script and can offer no individual assistance themselves.  If your problem deviates from the canned responses they have, you will need to be "kicked up the line."  Fortunately, they aren't so married to the script that if I was intelligent enough to anticipate their procedure (such as trying to reset the modem), they won't force me to do it again. They'll take my word for it that I tried that.

I do not feel HughesNet is a value for the money.  It is expensive, slow, restrictive, and inconvenient.

Yes, there are indeed things I can not do or must avoid when using HughesNet.

No, I do not recommend HughesNet to others. If ANY terrestrial internet option is available, I tell people to run screaming away from HughesNet.  Satellite internet is the worst high speed internet you can get and only those with a gun to their head would take it.

IMPORTANT: If satellite internet is the only option, I still would not recommend HughesNet.  I have been a customer of both HughesNet and WildBlue.  My experience is that both companies offer the same customer service, the same lack of value, and the same restrictions.  All in all, you'll get the same experience no matter which company you choose, so just choose whichever one is available or, if both serve your area, whichever one is offering the best deal at the moment.

The data caps are draconian, especially in light of today's needs of multi-gigabyte updates to operating systems, software, and now streaming media.  HughesNet is still stuck in the 1990s while everyone else has moved into the 201x.

One of the most important questions they ask on the survey is for additional comments, thoughts, stuff like that.  (I can't remember the exact question.)

What I try to emphasis is this: No one chooses HughesNet because they want it.  We choose it because we have no other choice.  I would drop HughesNet in less than a nano-second if ANY other option was available.  HughesNet is a shrinking customer base.  While numbers may grow because more people are moving into rural areas, the numbers are going down overall because terrestrial internet is expanding.

HughesNet needs to realize that they are a hated company that is never going to be able to compete with terrestrial internet and so need to go not just the extra mile but the extra TWENTY miles to be something that someone is willing to use if the proverbial gun is removed from their heads.

I do understand that nature of satellite internet.  I know it is expensive and that you can't just upgrade your satellite.

Let me bottom line that concern: No One Cares.  It's not our problem.  As a customer, we want fast, reliable, cheap, quality internet without data concerns.  If you can't deliver that, that's your Too Bad.  Not ours.  We will continue to look for the best deal. You have us because we have no choice.

If you want to stay in business, you have to have a better motto than "Where Else Are You Going To Go?"

So anyway, those are the answers to every survey I complete.  Just copy/paste them and save time from having to fill them our every couple months.
9 REPLIES 9
BirdDog
Assistant Professor

They simply can't and don't compete with ground based ISPs. They'd need many more satellites to provide unlimited data at higher speeds.

And I totally disagree with this statement, certainly isn't expanding in my area nor many others where population density is low and/or the terrain is mountainous:
 While numbers may grow because more people are moving into rural areas, the numbers are going down overall because terrestrial internet is expanding.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

No problems here.  Fine with my 15/50 data cap, which keeps three Windows 10 computers up to date, plus my folks' Windows 8.1 laptop.   

If I want to watch TV or a movie I watch what's on DirecTV.  My life isn't over because I can't stream 24/7, though there are people who seem to feel that way. 

GabeU

Agreed.  It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that the rate of increase of Hughesnet customers is actually rising year by year. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Lighthope,

It truly sounds like you have great admiration for the terrestrial Internet companies that have chosen NOT to service your area due to lack of profitability despite having a much lower cost basis.

Aren't you "mad" at the wrong guys ?

I'll grant you that Hughesnet is a connection type of last resort, it is not marketed to those with other alternatives. Hughes does serve a niche market and that is exactly what it is .... all surveys aside.

I can't help but feel that you are "barking" at the wrong folks ..... you may be better served (but ignored) if you were to post on the websites of Comcast,Verizon, Frontier or whomever is closest to you.

Data Limits ? Yup and a real good reason for it that doesn't need to be repeated again ... it sounds like you know the drill.

Your post comes off as more of Wishful Thinking (gee I wish my Yugo was a Cadillac) than a truly well reasoned commentary.

We all wish we had Cable .... we don't, and no amount of Crying Towel Time is going to change the laws of physics and make it so.

When this is your only choice .... learn how to get the best out of it or just plain drop it.

When you are handed Lemons ... make Lemonade.

If you are having an issue with your data .... things can be done. Things that you may have not considered .... things that will prevent needless usage.

I don't normally take this tone but your post is loaded with "snarK"

Data wise .... what am I doing that you are not ?

My suggestion: Start a new topic, post your plan details, Network configuration, Router brand, model, version, main OS and list of devices (don't forget your printer) and lets see if we can help you get more "value" for your dollar.

lighthope1
Senior

> I don't normally take this tone but your post is loaded with "snarK"

I didn't notice an unusual tone, but your post does comes across as quite "White Knight"-like.  Disappointing, but should not really expect more as you essentially advertise it.  "Gwalk900, CHAMPION".

> I can't help but feel that you are "barking" at the wrong folks ..... you may be better
> served (but ignored) if you were to post on the websites of Comcast,Verizon,
> Frontier or whomever is closest to you.

This isn't their website. It's HughesNet.

HughesNet asked for feedback, I gave it. Perhaps they should have been more specific about the feedback they wanted.  Stating "Positive" feedback or "Glowing" feedback would have been helpful to know.

I certainly hope your post is not representative of HughesNet philosophy.  As I stated right in the OP, HughesNet is not served well with the motto of "Where Else Are You Going To Go?"
GabeU

The Champion title is given by Hughesnet to those customers on here who are very knowledgeable and have, time and time again, helped other customers who are having problems.  Champions do not work for Hughesnet.  They are here because they enjoy helping people.   

With that said, sometimes when they, or anyone on here for that matter, see a post complaining about Hughesnet in ways that seem a bit misplaced, they may speak up. 

Complaining about a service because it doesn't and can't work in the same way other services do, and making ridiculous statements about the company, seems a bit odd. 

BirdDog
Assistant Professor

Sigh, it is satellite, research just a bit, it is what it is. Will never be cable, fiber, WISP or even 4G LTE. The inherent latency alone makes it hobbled, not even considering what a satellite can handle throughput wise.

This discussion gets so old after years and years. Wish people would use a bit of their limited data allowance to research satellite capabilities.

Education is a wonderful thing. No wonder we're losing our edge worldwide when it comes to science.
GabeU

Three W10 computers kept up to date, plus updating my folks' W8.1 laptop regularly.  Facebook, YouTube, shopping, paying bills, general browsing. 

Slow and restrictive?  Inconvenient?  4G for home would cost me more and I'd get less. 

Works fine for me. 

Amanda

Hello lighthope,

First I want to apologize for such a delayed response. I wanted to make sure I got your post into the right hands here. Your letter has been sent to upper management for review. Please keep in mind while you may not receive a direct response here, they are very sensitive to suggestions and always try to find ways to improve in both our customer service and our service delivery. We appreciate your feedback and taking the time to make it available to us here.

Hoping you have a great weekend

Amanda