cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My thoughts and goodbye

My thoughts and goodbye

So this is the end of the road for me, hughesnet. Feels like only yesterday our hughesnet was getting installed. The upgrade helped a bunch compared to the older systems like the HN7000 concerning performance like speeds and pings.

The service is'nt the best to be honest but when your living out in the middle of nowhere(like the center of the desert) where would you turn to? You could live your entire/rest of your life without internet or you could get into internet like the rest of the world and join many gamers or do social talk with friends or family. The choice is yours. That's why some say this service is a last resort, thats cause it actually is a last resort, its a service used only by satellite equipment invested with millions of dollars.

I can remember those days when we ran out of bandwidth on the old 7K. Oh man was it god awfully slow, couldn't even get on any of my chat client programs, couldn't load up google or yahoo homepage let alone any website page at all(or even broken parts of the website). If I watch just 1 very short youtube video in the lowest and lamest quality known to man I got my internet line between modem and my computer cut witch then from there caused family issues because needing to share bandwidth in our opinion was insanely stupidity and we knew nothing was sometimes being downloaded. Everytime(even with Gen4) I load up a website, it takes 2-5 seconds to finish loading(not with frontier. Frontier doesn't even need 1 second). I can still remember all those bans I got from game servers all because my massive ping said "999" or all those ignore messages I received in my maniaplanet game. Also don't wanna forget all the jumping around in clutchy moves too when ping is high. I never download nor upload anything while gaming either.

I had a horrible time keeping my Gen4 dish clean from snow and ice last year and when the weather gets bad with heavy rainfall, the web accelerator goes out and its like all he!! breaks loose because even if the rain quit, droplets of water could still be sitting on the dish witch also gives accelerator problems. You also need to keep in mind that the weather at the NOC has to be clear too, if not then its just the same as the bad weather being at your place so no connection till the weather lets off.

The India tech support was hard to understand and try to eleberate the problems I was having but they sure can get stuff down sometimes. When you have a problem and they know its on their end, they get it fixed ASAP. I wish frontier had india people working in the tech support department(:

There are close to 1,000(if more) other providers out there around the globe available and everyone of them with different speeds and few different ways they all connect to the internet but satellite is extremely expensive. Hughesnet customers should be surprised to see what kind of performance they are getting like with this new Gen4 service because not with every service you can get 15Mbps(or higher sometimes) or a ping of 600ms but it is clear as daylight that internet service by satellite is not meant for everything/all your needs(gamer, bandwidth hog, web browser, business person...)

HughesNet? Although you were'nt up and working 24/7 everyday of every week I wish I could still have your stability because some providers are slow and lazy on repairs, but the cost of satellite service is hugely and entirely expensive. Your tokens are over priced and your bandwidth limit for downloading and uploading are ridiculously small and tiny compared to some other providers available out there (some have just over 1TB in a month or day- but thats another provider thats not by satellite of course)

I will be joining frontier communications and see how all goes. I will cotinue to use my bandwidth meter and do all heavy bandwidth usage from mid-night to around 8am to help keep network traffic down and so no will have loading issues (who's going to browse the web, play games or watch youtube videos from mid-night to 8am in the morning??)

I hope the best for those who are still stuck deep with hughesnet or some other satellite provider and I know how you all feel when your wanting download netflix movies or wanting to get a steam game thats in the gigabyte range or just wanting to play a game you just bought online but come to find out that you can't even connect to the game servers due to high latency.
Anyway, now its goodbye.

With kind regards,
Diablo_Slayer92

ps: many more will be canceling on my route/road so don't think I am the only one. Have a good day all.

I am on my new connection as of right now (12/6/13) and the speeds are looking awesome.. Getting no gitter once so ever, no interference and a 25ms ping.
11 REPLIES 11

Re: My thoughts and goodbye

Good afternoon, Diablo. Thank you for your post and best of luck with your new provider.

Thank you,
John

thank you Diablo, your post has inspired me to take advantage of the first 30 day opt out, it was worth a try anyway..
Assistant Professor

Satellite is not a normal ISP plain and simple. I think most subscribers know that. At least I hope they do before signing up. They should. I research plenty before shelling out $60-120 a month on something. Call me crazy.

What we were paying for hughes: $129.99 per month

What we are paying for now: $39.99 per month

Both are just internet alone, highest plan possible. Gen4 power max plan is what plan we had. DSL bonded ultimate with 12Mbps is what we have now. No contracts. Installation went swell. I get a ping of 25ms at www.bing.com and get a ping of 109ms at my friends house that lives in netherlands.

Fiber optic is we are hocked into at the nearby sub station witch is just 200 feet away from the house. So far 10 people have hopped onto the service in my neighborhood within the last 2-3 weeks.

yea i checked with another provider,i will be getting 60mbps and a phone for 75 a month..oh and unlimited data usage anytime..
Associate Professor

I wish I had options to consider. I don't even have other satellite options to consider. My neighbors have excede, but they tell me they aren't doing new installations in my area. So take it's hughes or nothing. I guess my choice is hughes. Wish I could at least get cell phone service.
Highlighted
Assistant Professor

That is one thing "they" definitely have a jump on. They limit the number of users on a beam.

I've decided to upgrade to gen4. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I hate the thought of being stuck for 2 more years!