Hughesnet Community

My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gary Brown

My wireless router log for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. Some of these IP's are in Europe.

My wireless router used for my Hughesnet account shows IP addresses that aren't mine. They appear in the early morning hours and show a descriptor of: [DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 64.124.217.61, port 8111, Saturday, June18, 2016 02:58:08. Some of these IP's are in Europe, Sweden, California, Tokyo, Colorado. I live in Virginia. It appears that my account has been hacked, because my router only has a 300 meter reception radius. Furthermore, these IP's show up in my router log even when my WIFI has been turned-off.
15 REPLIES 15
Amanda

Hi Gary

Sounds interesting - let's figure this out together. Do you have a recent case number or serial number from your modem? I would like to open a case. When you see this in your router, do you see any MAC addresses listed as well? Do you play any kind of games online? Last question.. what model of router do you use?

Thanks!
Amanda
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Your router may be logging random 'Bot attack traffic that is really all over the Internet constantly. That traffic should not have anything to do with your HughesNet account - it's just a fact of life on the Internet.

If your router was hacked/compromised, I seriously doubt it would affect your router's range. 300 meters (1,000 ft. +) is actually pretty good.

It's much more likely your computer would be hacked than your router. What anti-virus, firewall, and anti-malware software have you installed on your computer? 
El Dorado Networks |Diamond Springs, CA | eldoradonetworks.com
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Info on Port 8111 malware: http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=8111
Gary Brown

Thanks Alan. I am very inept with Router technology. E.g. I stated I had a 300 meter radius, when in actuality it is only 250 ft. My Router is a NETGEAR WNDR3700v4. I also should have done a search to determine what the acronym "DoS" means (Denial of Service), which means that my router is functioning as it should, and blocking intruders.  

I use Malwarebytes software, and have it loaded on 2-computers. I turned-off my WIFI and, before disconnecting it, I had only one of the two computers running wireless. I suspect that my son's laptop is infected because as soon as he stopped using it, my Hughesnet Internet Meter shows that my usage has plummeted (but it wasn't him using 2-GIG in downloads per day). He will be doing a Malwarebytes deep scan today. 

The active firewall I have, is built into the Windows-7 OS, and I 'had been' using Microsoft Security Essentials anti-virus protection, but Malwarebytes worked so much better and it found Trojans that MS Security Essentials didn't.

I apologize for taking so long to reply to you and Amanda. I needed to investigate what gear I have, rather than ignorantly talking out of my a$$. Thank you very much for your knowledgeable input, and helping to extinguish my problems. 
C0RR0SIVE
Associate Professor

Four or five years ago, MSE was pretty good... Now in days, a combination of MalwareBytes and BitDefender (Or another quality AV product) is the best thing to have.
Gary Brown

thank you, C.
GabeU
Distinguished Professor IV

When you said a three hundred meter radius I thought maybe you had some Super Duper Mega router.  Mine only hits about 130 or 140 feet if I set it in an open window and walk away from the house with my laptop.  I was REALLY envious.  LOL. 
Gwalk900
Honorary Alumnus

Gary,

All router are going to show that type of activity in their logs:

Its just the routers hardware firewall doing its job .....

That is: reject everything that didn't originate from the "inside".

Gary Brown

Like I said previously after correcting myself: it's only a range of 250ft. 300 meters would be nice though.
Gary Brown

I found several youtube videos, which showed new phone apps that can provide unauthorized access to a neighbors WIFI router. Last weekend I turned-off the WIFI and hardwired a CAT-5 cable to the upstairs computer. Problem solved for about $40.
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Yow! Good to know. Thanks for reporting back. How close are your neighbors?
El Dorado Netwo
Advanced Tutor

Didn't find the phone apps but did find this interesting info:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2925636/security/how-to-stop-wi-fi-hackers-cold.html
Amanda

Hi Gary

Do you all live real close to people? Most of our customers are pretty far (conventionally) from neighbors. When I lived out in the boondocks of Texas we had neighbors but weren't in range of WiFi (then again we had dial up..) because the chicken coops took up one side of the acre and we had private fence on the other. 

Do you have something like what Gwalk presented with the IP addresses you found? I think if you found more malicious programs that might have done it too, because an infected computer alone can open your home network up to unwanted traffic. I also use MWB and think it is really great. I pair that with CCleaner (free) to keep my PC clean. You can also download CCleaner for your phone (Android as far as I know) and use it to uninstall programs or clean up empty folders, call logs, browsing history, misc cache, etc. Really great tool all around.

Amanda
Gary Brown

Hi Amanda. I resolved the problem by turning-off the WIFI and running a CAT-5 cable to the remote computer upstairs. This is what I wanted to do in the first place but was too lazy. After having to buy additional tokens for the remainder of a month -- more than onc--, I found it to be less expensive/safer to be hardwired, rather than wireless. Youtube videos demonstrated many ways that cell phone apps can get around locked router authorizations. All of the posters here have been very helpful. My thanks to all! 
Amanda

Hi Gary
I am glad to hear that! We hope you will visit us again if you need help, or to help others. 

Thanks,
Amanda