cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysterious "leakage of data" what is that ?

Re: Mysterious "leakage of data" what is that ?

my immediate problem was first on the menu..my credit card became compromised..bank told me to cancel it.. so i called HN and used a check to pay my bill..until my new card came.. they accepted it.. then 3 days later my service was disconnected.  HN accused me of fraud and turned it over to higher office for fraud investigation. mean while  i was paid up til november 28th with disconnected service. I talked to probably 15 dumb asses and given so many stupid answers to my situation.  I had no choice but to accept it..then I googled and got the number of the executive president of HN  Roger answered and i asked where he was located, he told me Brownsville, Texas.. He pulled up my many case numbers and apologized and turned my service on instantly.   i was very impressed.. My Goodness...he could speak english and he could hear it also.. NOW My service is very slow and i used nearly a gig of data from midnight to 9am and the modem was unplugged from the computer.  Is there going to be a revolt or not?  are we going to accept this or demand fair treatment?  Videos skip and crackle.. we must band together..

Honorary Alumnus

The "Office of the President" otherwise known as ECC is located as Charles stated in Germantown MD.
You are in real luck because the forum mods are located in the Hughes headquarters building.
You are in even better luck as the Hughes modem will throw a 13.1.1 error code with the start/end times of your computer/router disconnect.
In fact you could post that info yourself here in the community.

I am more ignorant of computer talk than anyone you know.. im nearly 100 years old and computer talk more than facebook is way above my head.  i do know that my data..or what ever it is that connects me to the internet is being used up in a unbelievable way.  I can keep an eye on the meter and see that quite easily. And I know when it turns off after ive used it up.. I had HN for 8 years and never had a meter and didnt see the reason to have one.  I never exceeded my allowance and me and facebook and a few youtube videos lived quietly together with no trouble.  then came Gen 4.. immediately my data was gone and i had to use the five tokens i had available.. in a very short while they were gone also and i had to buy a token. 
   I called HN several times and they gave me tokens.. 5 gigs i think over and over and even they agreed that it was nearly impossible for anyone to use that much data in such a short while. After much ado im back to watching the meter every second..using data when the computer is not plugged up and i even unplug the moden when i go to bed.. even then there is less when i wake up.  im keeping a journal of the usage now and will be better equipped to help locate the problem.
   Here I am at 5am up to use the internet on the bonus hours..that is unbelievable considering i used this computer for 8 years with HN and sometimes left the computer on 24 hours a day with no outage...
   I may have been mistaken when i said that the man i talked to "Roger"was in Brownsville Texas.. I have talked to so many people in the last month over this matter and what difference does it make?  Roger was the only person I talked with in that time frame that had an IQ of over 12 .. he could talk and he could understand me and he was courteous and considerate and he helped my in a matter of minutes to resolve this matter.. now its time to work on the data leakage.
  Roger is the only reason i did not cancel with HN.. Ive read that even tho my contract is up that they will charge me a cancellation fee and even if i get the equipment back to them on time they will still deduct that from my credit card.  I know that I talked with some idiots over and over and was transferred over and over by each one of them and I know that my data is gone way tooooo fast. 

Good morning msbhav,

Welcome to the community and thank you for posting. Charles' suggestion to follow the illustrated steps is a good starting point to ensure the HughesNet modem is not the source of your unidentified data usage. 

You will likely find that there will be no usage once the modem is isolated. So the next step is to plug only your computer directly into the modem. Observe your usage, and if you see an unusually high bit of usage, you may want to look into using a third-party data monitoring program to help you pinpoint the programs on your PC that use the most data. Community members have suggested and used GlassWire, so feel free to ask them for tips on using it: https://www.glasswire.com

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi msbhav,

It's been a while since we last heard from you, so we will close this thread. If you still have concerns, please start a new thread and include a detailed explanation so we can more effectively help you.

Thanks,
Liz
Please create a new thread in the community if you have a question or need help. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.