NEW SERVICE, POOR INSTALLATION

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mthannigan
Freshman

NEW SERVICE, POOR INSTALLATION

My HughesNet Equipment was poorly installed.  The service works, but the installer did not cut the cable to the appropriate size on the exterior of my home, choosing instead to make ridiculous crliques  to take up the slack.

He also made mess on the interior. Instead of putting the cable into the cable raceway along the baseboard--which is what it is for--he unnecessarily put holes in my wall and screwed the black cable on top.  It looks terrible and now there are holed drilled into my newly painted walls. He also did not leave any slack in the cable behind the desk, so that getting it into the cable raceway will be more difficult.

Finally, the installer failed to clean up all the drywall dust and dirty fingerprints on the floor, nor did he move the desk or the bookcase back to where it was prior to the installation. He did not go over the installation with me to make sure I was satisfied with the job.  He just told me the internet was working and ran off to his next appointment.

I wanted another intaller to fix the mess, so I called HughesNet customer service. I also tried contacting someone at PT Systems (the installation service they use) several times over the course of the days following the installation.

Finally, I reached a Highesnet rep who promised to call me back to schedule a repair of the installation after my wifi tech finished programming my Ubiquiti Wifi system (so the HughesNet service would act as a failover if my FiOS service goes down). It wasnt until then that I could be sure the HughesNet Service was even working, because it's only acting as a backup ISP for my FiOS service.

At this point, I'm afraid to go up onto the roof to check the installer's work.

The call-in help line at Hughesnet is terrible--they need more reps who know how to get results.  I've waited on hold for an hour, only to have them hang up on me upon answering.

There is also no way to address installation issues online.  It's shocking that an internet provider would have a website is that is so convoluted and unworkable.

What do you suggest I do? Is Viasat any better?

Slap dash installation with no aesthetic sense.Slap dash installation with no aesthetic sense.Ignored the cable raceway and drilled holes in newly painted wallsIgnored the cable raceway and drilled holes in newly painted walls

9 REPLIES 9
maratsade
Distinguished Professor IV

If you are a residential subscriber, I suggest you wait until the HughesNet reps on this site have a chance to look at your account, including the installation photos and your signature after the installation was finished. They will then contact you with next steps.  The reps are here M-F during business hours and will typically reply within 48 hours. 

Signature?  What signature? LOL! The installer (who arrived 30 minutes after the scheduled time window) must've been trying to make up for lost time, because he drove off and I didn't sign anything.

maratsade

Hopefully you'll get answers from the people the case has been escalated to. 

@mthannigan wrote:

Signature?  What signature? LOL! The installer (who arrived 30 minutes after the scheduled time window) must've been trying to make up for lost time, because he drove off and I didn't sign anything.

Liz

Good morning mthannigan,

I'm glad you found the community, thank you for posting. The pictures help a lot, I appreciate you including them in your post. I've escalated this to our field services department for their input on the matter. I'll post back once I have an update for you.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

GabeU

As far as I know, the looped cable in the first picture is standard procedure.  They do it for a reason, though I don't know what that reason is.  

My wifi consultant said that the "looping" the Hughesnet installer did was unnecessary.  "Looping" is done so rain drips down and off the coax. All the installer needed to do was run the cable downward after the junction. It's described here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQXTF-JivS4

In any case, I told the installer before he started working that how the job looked aesthetically was important to me, and I asked him to discuss it with me before screwing anything into the exterior and interior walls, so I could approve it. He didn't do that.

GabeU

"Looping" is done so rain drips down and off the coax.

Which is why the installer would have done it.  Both my HughesNet and DirecTV installs have this.

Hi mthannigan,

Thank you for your patience. We'll reach out to schedule a return trip to address your concerns. That type of interior cabling routing isn't typical of a standard installation and would normally cost extra, but we will cover this for your particular case.

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

The service loops are required by HughesNet and the tech has to take pictures of it.  By the looks of it, he did a really clean looking job to.