cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW UPGRADE IN THE FUTURE? UNLIMITED DATA??

Assistant Professor

Re: NEW UPGRADE IN THE FUTURE? UNLIMITED DATA??

Honorary Alumnus

Scott,

Satellite capacity  in and of itself is only half the story. You still have to have NOC facilities and staffing, then gateway facilities and staffing and a degree of redundancy in terms of backup gateways..

The costs would astronomical.

Sat just isn't like fiber where a second cable could be layed  next to the currant one if business demanded it

Hi Amanda, thank you and good to see you.
Assistant Professor

Not necessarily. It is a huge hindrance for many to go nuts with overage data costs. At $16 for 2GB it isn't exactly cheap.
I don't believe a great percentage of customers buy huge amounts of tokens every month, may be wrong once again.
From what I see everything they have in place is designed to keep customer data usage to the minimum amount they need to do, and want to do, within reason. I think that is what the majority of users live with.
I'm sure there are those that are willing to pay $100 extra a month for tokens but for most I doubt that it's something they do on a regular basis.
I believe they (tokens) are something the majority use on an emergency basis.
Maybe I'm mistaken.

I had AT&T unlimited internet when I had AT&T landline; wish I had not switched to HughesNet but will be switching back when my contract ends.

It's always nighttime somewhere, just as it's always daytime somewhere. No one is going to be on the internet 24/7 because they have to work, eat, crap, sleep, have sex, get drunk/stoned/high, watch TV, mow the lawn, shop, etc.

So, someone tell me why we still have unlimited talk time on landline telephones? You don't hear of Ma Bell cutting the speed your conversation is carried, do you? Despite what you have heard, a majority of people still have landline telephones even if they have a cell phone because landline phones don't DIE on you in the middle of a conversation like cell phones do.
Assistant Professor

(sigh)  

Hey Jim

Good question what it amounts to is Land line Telephone for the most part is still hardwired and analog.  Even with Fiber Optic your land line phone isn't using very much in this case I'll call it data.  About all a land line is is an electronic can and string transmitting vibrations. That is one reason Dial up is so slow (56k) at the most.  A FAX will cap at 14.4k at those speeds it would take a darn near a full day to download a 50mb file with a transfer rate of about 3.5kbs.
Assistant Professor

Like the "unlimited" 4G LTE plans that get throttled back after a certain amount.