cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Spike1966
New Poster

NEW User: Questions on speeds versus performance

Hello gang,

I'm a new user here...just installed last Friday, Dec 8th.

Previously we were using a small local provider (America Internet?) here in farm country in SE TN. My wife works from home, and we just had too many outages for her to survive. So, we heard HughesNet was available from a neighbor, and I called to install. Installation was quick and easy; no problems there. We did some recreational use through the weekend...not so much difference was noticed.

However, when my wife went back to work on Monday morning she found her desktop spinning and spinning on small pdf files she was trying to acces from a renote VPN setup here at home. She showed me the difference between the HughesNet signal (spinning, spinning) and the old signal which is still installed (not nearly as much spinning). I was convinced that there was a BIG deficit in performance.

So, we did some speed tests on both speedtest.net and testmy.net (as drected by HughesNet Tech support). We had purchased a smaller 25Mbps/10GB plan for roughly $60/mo. We have been paying $40/mo for the local service. I'm sorry, but I don't know the stated performance for it....and, I'm not even totally sure how it works. The local guy has a 40ft tower installed at the crest of our subdivision which connects to others towers in town back to a source somehow?

Anyway, here were the repeated results of the speed tests.

HughsNet:    Ping: ~700ms;  Download: 15-22Mbps;  Upload:  ~2-2.5Mbps

Competitor:  Ping:  ~30ms;   Download: 8-12Mbps;    Upload:  ~11Mbps

(Disclaimer: I am a greenhorn at such data, so bare with my assumptions.)

So, based upon these test result, my question is whether you would expect such a gap in performance?

I can understand the ping difference due to a tower being so near here; but, I can't see a large performance gap there.

The download speed, though not near the stated 25Mbps MAX is far better then the competitor.

Is it the upload speed deficit (quite large) that could explain the performance gap?

Please help if you can.

HughesNet is working on bumping up the download speed, but we didn't even get around to talking about the upload speed.

Meanwhile, I ponder whether I need to cut my losses and cancel HughesNet; as it performs now, it is unusable for us.

Thank you, Spike

19 REPLIES 19