Nearly unusable connection

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hamradio
Senior

Nearly unusable connection

Here we go again! About a week ago I called phone support about the problems. Was issued ticket # 125796 184. Engineering never called back. I called support again on 12-21-2019. They checked my ticket and said I wanted to know how satellite internet worked. Wrong! I gave them a laundry list of symptoms that they apparently ignored. I ran through my list of symptoms again. I was then forced to jump through the usual hoops (again) before any action would be taken. I complied. They then issued a new trouble ticket, # 126031828 and said engineering would call. I hope they follow through this time!!!! Symptoms: * Although testmy.net has sometimes previously indicated =>20 Mbps the actual *throughput* has been abominable for a long time. * Testmy also sometimes reports download speeds well in excess of 1,500 Mbps which is impossible. * Today testmy.net was indicating a download of ~3 Mbps using 25 MB testing and the actual throughput is even worse than usual * Testmy.net connection chronically dropped and reconnected. * Testmy.net hung and failed the latency test. * There are very, very long pauses during a web page load. Simply no activity, waiting... * Youtube low res videos constantly buffering. I don't even try streaming large videos, movies, etc. That is hopeless. * Often a web page fails to load at all. Repeated "reload" clicks will usually finally load the web site. * Testmy.net results: https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK Power down resetting of the HT2000W and flushing DNS have not effect. Signal:112, IPGW ID J2SDO068HNSIGW0103, ESN 13179424, Diagnostic Code 0000-0000-0000-0005 I am waiting for the call back from engineering sometime next week . If they bother to call back... It seems that Hnet is happy to sell their service with a draconian contract but do not provide the service advertised. If any Hnet moderators can help with this it would be very much appreciated!!! Woody - KZ4AK @Liz @Damian

70 REPLIES 70

Hi Woody,

Thanks for posting your updates. From my end the HughesNet system appers to be working normally, and the latest TestMy.Net results look great.  We definitely would like to help address your concerns. If you provide us with details, we can better assist you.

What top 3 URLs are you trying to visit?

What are you trying to accomplish?

According to your previous posts, what you're experiencing is slow loading websites, correct?

Have you ever been able to successfully visit those URLs?

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

Does this happen in different browsers?

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks,

Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Slow performance? Click me!

Thanks for answering, Liz...   I will answer your questions below, interleaving with your query.  @Liz 

A bit earlier I could not login here, to Hnet. Testmy also failed to load . Two hours later here I am, but throughput is still miserable . 

This is the error that, after quite a long time, appeared when connections failed

error.JPG

Got the same error when trying to access testmy.   A few other web sites loaded, albeit very slowly.  Others timed out.

Here is a tracert to testmy:

testmy tracert.JPG

This is a connectivity test on the router that does not indicate trouble.  Latency is as expected.  I believe the trouble to be out beyond this point.

gateway.JPG

Hi Woody,

Thanks for posting your updates. From my end the HughesNet system appers to be working normally, and the latest TestMy.Net results look great. 

Looks are certainly deceptive 😉

We definitely would like to help address your concerns. If you provide us with details, we can better assist you.

Thanks !!!

What top 3 URLs are you trying to visit?

QRZ.com (my ham radio radio logbook), FaceBook.com, various news outlets + general surfing

What are you trying to accomplish?

Making logbook entries, reading news, general surfing, banking

According to your previous posts, what you're experiencing is slow loading websites, correct?

Yes, slow loads, excessive buffereing on even small, low res video,  sometimes complete timeouts with failure to load.  Multiple "Lost connection/Reconnecting" when I do access TestMy. This problem is slow in throughput / performance, not in speed reported by TestMy.

Have you ever been able to successfully visit those URLs?

Yes, if I persevere, and with sufficient passage of time, I can finally establish a connection.

Have there been any changes to your system prior to your concerns?

No

Does disabling Web Acceleration make a difference? (Enter 192.168.0.1 in your browser then follow the steps here to find where to toggle Web Acceleration: http://hninfo.us/WAS)

I have not tried this lately, but several prioy attemts, it made no difference.

Does this happen in different browsers?

Yes

Does this happen on different computers/devices?

Yes, both the Ethernet connected desktop and wifi connected laptop.

Does this happen on a non-HughesNet connection?

Little experience, but the few times I have used my smartphone as a (ATT) hotspot, No.

Does this happen even after clearing your browser cache? (How-to here: refreshyourcache.com)

Yes, and I have also tried flushing DNS, rebooting the PC, and powering down the modem - all to no effect

Does power cycling your modem make a difference? (Unplug the HughesNet modem's power cord from the brick for 30 seconds before replugging.)

No

Does this happen even when directly connected to the HughesNet modem?

Yes, Ethernet connected with <5' cable.

Does power cycling your router make a difference?

No

Does power cycling your computer make a difference?

No
Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are greatly appreciated so that we can address your concerns.

Thanks, Liz

I would like to add that "Engineering" sent me a new modem.  As I suspected, given my analysis of the symptoms, throughput performance was just as bad after installing the new modem.

Also, TestMy has been flaky sometimes.  It usually reports my "speed" at about 20 Mbps.  However sometimes, rather slow, other times crazy fast - like 2000Mbps.  

https://testmy.net/quickstats/KZ4AK

The "measured speed" seems to have little or no bearing on the actual performance/throughput.   Seems like data delays between bursts, waiting in a queue somewhere, or the like.

Just an "aside"...  When I am at my home in Florida, I have Xfinity.  The performance difference approaches infinity 😉

Thanks for working on this!

Woody - KZ4AK

Tags (0)

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions thoroughly, Woody! One last thing before I check with our engineers for their input on this: earlier it seemed that disabling your adblocker helped. Does disabling your adblocker now make a difference in loading sites?

-Liz

If you have a tech or billing question and need help, please start a new thread in the appropriate board. Unsolicited Private Messages may not get replies.

Hi Liz,

In one respect disabling the ad blocker helped, BUT that was only because it was keeping the text rool from loading.  Therefore, I could not edit fonts, post images, etc.   The ad blocker was not related in any way to the problems I am expereincing and makes no difference on internet response speeds.

I would like to reitterate that the problem is intermittent.  It does not exist all of the time, just a lot of the time.  Performance can range from good (rarely) to nearly unsuable (far too often).

Woody.

Thanks for the clarification, Woody! I'll escalate your case to engineering for their input. I'll post back once I have any updates to share.

Your cooperation, patience, and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks Liz,

Today at noon EST - 9 Jan, performance is pretty decent.  Even youtubes not buffering much.   Sadly, history indicates this will not hold.  Hope whatever is causing the problem can be resolved!

Woody

Thanks, Woody.  Engineering would like you to monitor your performance for several days and let us know how it goes during the day and evening (basically non-peak and peak hours).

Thanks,

Liz

I hope they monitor for a while.  For the past day or two, performance has been equal to or above average and could be misleading.

Woody

@Liz 

Perhaps engineering could take a look at activity on 12 JAN 20, between 2 PM and 3PM EST.   I downloaded two 25.5 MB PDFs from

https://www.anyplaceamerica.com/directory/va/bedford-county-51019/

It took over two hours to get the files doenloaded!   There were many, many very long pauses in download activity.  Also, there were a total of 6 download failures that required a restart of the download (Firefox restart download seems to resume from the failure point so that saved some time).

Thanks,

Woody

Good morning, 

Sure I can let them know. Can you also please let me know how your service performance has been the other days and times since thursday?

Thanks,

Liz

I have not kept a performance log so can only speak in approximate terms.   The best I remember, performance was not too bad in the middle of last week, 7th, 8th ?    The performance began to degrade, bottoming out on the 12th.  Since then, performance has increased - a little.  Downloaded a zip file today and although the download proceeded slowly and with pauses, at least it did not time out requiring a restart.

Woody

Thanks, Woody, I've sent this to engineering. I'll post back when I have any updates to share.

Your patience and understanding are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Liz

Thanks Liz,

I will be monitoring.    ...Woody

Still experiencing many long pauses/delays in downloading and having to re-load to complete many web page connections. 

Any news?

Woody

@Liz 

No news from engineering, but I've sent along your latest update.

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Woody,

Engineering says "there was significant weather impact in your area on Saturday. Quickly looked at the site and looks good. Looking info Wifi stats, shall keep you posted." I'll let you know once they let me know.

Liz,

Thanks for the update.  I hope engineeering can get to the bottom of the problem.  It continues.   I can not comment on the weather at the Hnet gateway but it would have to be really bad much of the time to cause what is happening.  I can say that there is no doubt that weather is not an issue on my end.   With clear days here and signal strength between 100 and 110 it happens.    It has, as usual, been intermittent.   The average is fair performance, sometimes good, but far too often very poor.   Performance today (12:30 PM  22 JAN) is in the fair catagory compared to the dates mentioned eariler when it was extremely bad.   Please do not let this drop without resolution.

Thanks,

Woody

Hi Woody,

I appreciate the additional update. I just found out that our engineers are doing some troubleshooting calls next week, I'd like you to get on a call with them too. Can you please let me know your availability for a troubleshooting phone call next week?

Thanks,

Liz

Hi Liz,

It would be great to get a call.  I should be generally available on the 27th, 29th, and probably the 31st.   Don't know my exact times that I will be available these three days, but likely most of the day.

Thanks, Woody

Good morning Woody,

Thank you for the info, I've passed it along to the engineers. I'll reach out once I hear back from them.

Thanks,

Liz

Hey there, Woody. Just a heads up, someone from our corporate office will reach out to you to schedule the troubleshooting call.

-Liz